• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Simulcast or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgruver911

If there is a better forum for this I apologize, just looking for some feedback...

We are in the planning phase of a P25 800 system for our county. Looking at 3-4 sites, around 600 radios, around 40 talkgroups. Remains to be seen whether we attach our system to the statewide P25 system or have our own with a possible future ISSI to the state system. If we join the state system, we are bordered on 2 sides by large metropolitan counties already on the state system; one is simulcast the other isn't. We have no state towers in our county, but every county around us has at least 1.

My question: We are working with 2 vendors right now for information and trying to figure out which direction we are ultimately going. One is suggesting simulcast, the other is not. The primary reason they give for sumulcast is a lack of available frequencies, which by my reseacrh is not accurate. Are there other compelling reasons to simulcast a system as small as ours? I don't see any need to have systemwide coverage by more than a small handfull of talkgroups, and what will happen with cross-over from surrounding counties? Looking to the experts who have been there for some guidance and suggestions. Thanks.

hitechRadio

Not sure where you are located but 700mhz would be a viable option and there should be avaliable frequecies. You would be using TDMA Phase2 at 700mhz.

Multicast is nice because you can have mixed number of channels at each site. Example, the most populated area have 5 channels and other sites you can reduce to 3 or 4 channels. Depending on expected loading at those sites. One down side to Multicast is scanning, Example if and user is affiliated at that site on talkgroup1 but he is prority scanning talkgroup2. If no one at the site he is on is affiliated on Talkgroup2 he will not hear that transmission. But there is an exception to this if, A system administrator can force talkgroup2 to always come out that site though, even when no one is affiliated with Talkgroup2.

Simulcast has advantages, uses less spectrum. Scanning is not an issue. But You will have to have the same number of channels at each subsite obviously. There is much more equipment associated with simulcast.

My opinion would be to join with the state system since the bordering large counties already are. Put in 700mhz Phase2 TDMA sites (if frequencies are an issue) otherwise 800mhz, and multicast. Just my opinion though. As i don't know your exact situation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.