Simulcast Question/Observation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikem704

I noticed while looking at Proscan and putting the Matthews Dispatch on HOLD that the scanner is alternating between Mecklenburg Simulcast and Cabarrus Simulcast. I assume it is getting just enough of a signal from Cabarrus to keep trying although since I'm in Mecklenburg that one is much stronger. Should I set Cabarrus to AVOID in my programming? Will that help with simulcast distortion issues?

trumpetman

Database Admin
Yes, set Cabarrus to avoid if all you want to hear is Matthews/any other Mecklenburg County channels. None of the Mecklenburg specific channels are allowed to roam over to Cabarrus so you won't be missing anything.

CFP387

This brings up another question. In monitoring the Concord UASI site, I notice that Mooresville FD dispatch is on the site but Iredell County FD dispatch is not. Is there any rhyme or reason as to what TG's are allowed and ones that aren't.

Just as an example in the post above, why would a neighboring county's TG's not be allowed on their site without an affiliated radio?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
This brings up another question. In monitoring the Concord UASI site, I notice that Mooresville FD dispatch is on the site but Iredell County FD dispatch is not. Is there any rhyme or reason as to what TG's are allowed and ones that aren't.
That is totally up to the system administrators. They generally allow talkgroups on the fewest sites that adequately cover the users' area of operation.

trumpetman

Database Admin
Roaming options are usually relaxed when coverage may be an issue. Mount Holly is allowed on Mecklenburg & Gastonia sites because they are on the county line. Select Mooresville TGs are allowed on Mecklenburg and Cabarrus for coverage around Coddle Creek. North Lakes TG is allowed on Meck & Mooresville since it is used on Lake Norman and Mountain Island which span Meck & Iredell. North Meck law dispatch is allowed across mooresville also, hopefully when the new davidson tower comes online that will enhance coverage for north end units.

I imagine the Iredell fire TG on the mooresville system isn't allowed to roam because there isn't a need. Iredell county fire units on VIPER can roam down to the Huntersville tower if need be. Due to precious use of spectrum, coverage is only allowed where typically needed. A department in a county may respond to an adjacent county and have access to roam to said county towers, but roaming more than two or more counties away for a once a year response doesn't really justify tying up a site with access the rest of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.