Simulcast Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris480

OK guys I have a question, and I want to thank everyone who answered my other questions. Is there a location that I can go and learn how the RWC works? I know that I have Simulcast A in my scanner to get PHX PD in my house, I also have talk groups for Tempe in my scanner and would never hear anything. I went to work in Tempe and still heard nothing but when I programmed Simulcast C and F in and pointed those talk groups to that system I started picking them up. Do I need to do this for Scottsdale as well by adding Simulcast H? My thought in the very beginning was that if everything was broadcasted to every Simulcast site so it didnt matter what you had programmed in as long as you were close enough to pick up the site you could then get everything that is on the RWC. Sorry if I seem like im asking the same questions I just want to learn how this system works.

Thanks

wlmr

It would use up a lot of channels if everything was broadcast everywhere. I expect you'll see most talk groups for each city only on the site or maybe two that best covers the area. Some talk groups do seem to get around more than others though.

chris480

Thanks that is what I was thinking, I only have Simulcast A in my scanner for PHX PD and I get coverage on that even at work in Tempe, but I cant hear Tempe at home in N Phx so I take it there tower is not as powerful. Also I put in all of ASU tower freqs but I never hear anything on the system at all and it doesn't matter where I am, Tempe, N Phx, etc... Any ideas on that one?

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

I believe the only RWC police department carried on Simulcast A is Phoenix. All the other RWC PD's are carried on Simulcasts B-C-F-G-H. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong lol

Astrak

Talkgroups have what are called site permissions, so for instance a PHXPD radio on A9 won't be able to affiliate with simulcast C or say a radio on a tempe talkgroup won't be able to affiliate to simulcast A.

chris480

Talkgroups have what are called site permissions, so for instance a PHXPD radio on A9 won't be able to affiliate with simulcast C or say a radio on a tempe talkgroup won't be able to affiliate to simulcast A.

Thanks! Thats what I figured, but im guessing most of PHX PD are on all simulcasts because I only use A and hear just about everything, I even pick it up when I am in Tempe. I think I am starting to understand! Although last night I heard them say switch to F Deck and I cant find anything for F deck so I take it that F deck is Encrypted? If so why is it still not listed in the database? Other Encrypted are but nothing for Phoenix is.

Astrak

Phoenix PD site permissions are

A4=Simulcasts A and C
A5-A7=Simulcast A only
A8 and A9=Simulcasts A and G
B4=Simulcasts A and C
B5 and B7=Simulcast A only
B6=Simulcasts A and Outlet mall IR
B8=Simulcasts A and G
B9=Simulcasts A,G,Quintero IR and Outlet mall IR
C4-C9=A,C,G,Outlet mall IR and Estrella IR

F deck is encrypted.