Simulcast question

Status
Not open for further replies.

trauts14

My local system I monitor also has a simulcast listing that shows up with the P25 system they use. What exactly is simulcast?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Simulcasting is most often found in metropolitan areas. It is a way of achieving radio system coverage in larger concrete buildings at a lower transmit power per site.

With lower power transmitters, radio frequencies can be re-used without as much geographic separation. For example with a high power single site, there might need to be 100 miles of separation between users of 854.4875. With lower power simulcast, that distance could drop to 50 miles. One of the bigger challenges in communications is the lack of frequencies, so simulcasting can help that.

ecps92

I would not [never] rule it out, in Non Metropolitan areas

Couple of examples
Bristol/Plymouth Counties Site Details (Massachusetts State Police)
Upper and Mid Cape Site Details (Massachusetts State Police)
Central MA Site Details (Massachusetts State Police)

Simulcasting is most often found in metropolitan areas. It is a way of achieving radio system coverage in larger concrete buildings at a lower transmit power per site.

With lower power transmitters, radio frequencies can be re-used without as much geographic separation. For example with a high power single site, there might need to be 100 miles of separation between users of 854.4875. With lower power simulcast, that distance could drop to 50 miles. One of the bigger challenges in communications is the lack of frequencies, so simulcasting can help that.

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
I would not [never] rule it out, in Non Metropolitan areas

I would agree. There are a ton of county wide simulcast sites for large areas and to help with coverage in areas shadowed by land from a single site. More coverage for the same amount of frequencies is always desired.

Status
Not open for further replies.