Simulcast Reception without an SDS - Next on the Scanner Guys Show

Status
Not open for further replies.

lebrunmn

Retired... Get off my lawn!
Premium Subscriber
This should be an interesting episode... I cannot imagine that they'll be enlightening us on the magic of Unication's offerings or even the NAS options like the BK-KNG radios--both of which work wonderfully. OK, my interest is now piqued.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
This should be an interesting episode... I cannot imagine that they'll be enlightening us on the magic of Unication's offerings or even the NAS options like the BK-KNG radios--both of which work wonderfully. OK, my interest is now piqued.

My guess is that they'll may discuss the numerous simple things that can be done to make it possible. The goal is to limit the number of sites the radio picks up. It can be done, works perfectly for me at my home. It works so well that I sold my SDS200's, and BCDx36HP's and bought a Whistler TRX-1 & TRX-2!

lebrunmn

Retired... Get off my lawn!
Premium Subscriber
My guess is that they'll may discuss the numerous simple things that can be done to make it possible.

Good point, Bill. Those methods can make an otherwise unusable scanner perform perfectly well against simulcast issues while in the home environment. There have been several threads in the forums about that very subject, recently.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I "fixed" my simulcast problem a couple days ago by accident. I had been trying all kinds of tricks with the extendable whip, retracting it all the way, changing polarity etc. Still getting some bad garbling on certain transmissions. I know for a fact that the BCD536HP has signal ingress via the power, USB and audio jack because I can remove the antenna and get reception. So the other day, frustrated I found this Diamond RH-3 stubby "multiband antenna in my stuff and stuck it on the BNC on the radio, pointed straight out, horizontally polarized. A terrible antenna at that. The radio has never received better.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
True Bob but look at how many new users show up here each month and have the same problem. They do not know the tricks or that location has everything to do with the scanner working or not working. When they do their show we will have a video class to point to that will explain everything to the new user. I think this is a great idea.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
My guess is that they'll may discuss the numerous simple things that can be done to make it possible. The goal is to limit the number of sites the radio picks up. It can be done, works perfectly for me at my home. It works so well that I sold my SDS200's, and BCDx36HP's and bought a Whistler TRX-1 & TRX-2!
None of those things work for mobile scanning. More likely they will be discussing the Blue Tail receiver.

Reactions: btt

ind224

I know for a fact that the BCD536HP has signal ingress via the power, USB and audio jack because I can remove the antenna and get reception.
My Pro 197 does that but I assumed it was just strong enough signal and enough attenuation for good decoding. I don't have anything plugged into any of the jacks, if that is part of the suspected infiltration. Duh, wall wart, my bad. Now I have to try it w my battery pack.

RFI-EMI-GUY

My Pro 197 does that but I assumed it was just strong enough signal and enough attenuation for good decoding. I don't have anything plugged into any of the jacks, if that is part of the suspected infiltration. Duh, wall wart, my bad. Now I have to try it w my battery pack.

I have some ferrite chokes on those lines. They didn't help a lot, maybe a bit. One of these days I am going to take it apart and add some caps and shielding. It cannot be good to have the RF and digital signals interacting. A lot of radio manufacturers make the design work well on the workbench, with a signal generator and inside a screen booth. Then when it works sloppy out in the real world it is too late for a design change.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
This is a great episode topic, not everyone is able buy an SDS or commercial radios or the Unication etc. I do hope they cover the SDR dongle options.

fredva

Feed Provider
I missed it live, but skipped through the recording, and it seemed to be an explanation of simulcast systems for those who aren't familiar, and the antenna tricks that have been discussed on RadioReference for years (paper clip, antenna in a pan, etc.) I have not watched the whole video yet.

Paco-Jerte

You Member, Member!
Great info and video guys !!

Using a classic Realistic Telescopic antenna and Simulcast here in L.A working better for me. Always used an outdoor antenna and had the poor reception. Even works great on a TRX-1 (y)

BTW: I do have an SDS100 but it's nice to have other options that work just as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.