Simulcast Scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcalandra

Premium Subscriber
Newbee question. Are there any scanners other than the SDS100 & SDS200 that can handle Simulcast scanning? I am living in an area with P25 Phase II Simulcast so I want to make sure I am getting the right one.

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
If you are only listening to 1 trunked system at a time, the Unication G-series pagers work great. They aren't a scanner, but they have some scanning functionalities that work well for some users needs.

If you intend to scan multiple systems at once, scan different frequency ranges, or travel, the SDS are the best options.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
If you don't need mobility I suggest trying a SDR dongle, very low cost and very good.

Otherwise, the SDS series is the only scanner designed to work well with simulcast. Depending on the location others may or may not work. My county is simulcast but I have no issues with my Whistler scanners.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
Good idea except he can't keep up stock quantity.
Also the blue tail appears to require a computer, AFAIK it's not a stand-alone product. Hopefully they will come out with an integrated display and control head at some point, but this product seems to have a lot of potential.

But yeah, the SDS is the only scanner (non-commercial radio) that handles simulcast, as well as Trunked DMR/NXDN. So whatever you think about the reviews, it's competing against itself...

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
The OP said "simulcast scanning." That definitely limits the choices. As of today, it's SDS or nothing.

Reconrider

Also the blue tail appears to require a computer, AFAIK it's not a stand-alone product. Hopefully they will come out with an integrated display and control head at some point, but this product seems to have a lot of potential.

But yeah, the SDS is the only scanner (non-commercial radio) that handles simulcast, as well as Trunked DMR/NXDN. So whatever you think about the reviews, it's competing against itself...
I'm not sure if it's 100% reliant on a computer, or if the computer is being used as the "battery".

Either way, I would suggest OP go with the SDR if s/he doesn't plan on moving it around, or the sds100 if s/he needs portable.

Paco-Jerte

You Member, Member!
If you don't need mobility I suggest trying a SDR dongle, very low cost and very good.

Agreed. I've been using my SDR Dongle with Fast Lane more than my SDS100 with Simulcast here in Los Angeles.
@op, your location may vary same results. It's just a matter of testing it out. Buy an SDR Dongle @ amazon and if not happy you always have free returns so you don't lose your money.

Good luck !!

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure if it's 100% reliant on a computer, or if the computer is being used as the "battery".

Either way, I would suggest OP go with the SDR if s/he doesn't plan on moving it around, or the sds100 if s/he needs portable.
I don't own one of the BlueTail receivers, but from what I gather, reading the posts, you use a PC to program it. Once that's done, you can either continue using the PC for power, or power the receiver from another source. That could be a wall wart if used at home, or, if mobile, either a 12V to USB power adapter, or one of the power packs used to charge cellphones & tablets. So, while that's not as 'portable' as a handheld SDS100, it would be usable while mobile in a vehicle.

But if only home based usage is desired, then the SDR & PC is certainly the most affordable solution.

Reconrider

I don't own one of the BlueTail receivers, but from what I gather, reading the posts, you use a PC to program it. Once that's done, you can either continue using the PC for power, or power the receiver from another source. That could be a wall wart if used at home, or, if mobile, either a 12V to USB power adapter, or one of the power packs used to charge cellphones & tablets. So, while that's not as 'portable' as a handheld SDS100, it would be usable while mobile in a vehicle.

But if only home based usage is desired, then the SDR & PC is certainly the most affordable solution.
I don't have one either, I was actually looking into them, but decided against it after I learned I needed to carry a battery pack around with me to use it. Still a neat idea that he came up with

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thanks all. I bit the bullet and got an SDS200, since all public safety around me is P25 simulcast. Just need to figure out which software is best to control and program it.
You must have Sentinel, which is a free download from Uniden, in order to maintain the database as well as apply any firmware updates that might be released. You can also program via Sentinel, either manually entering systems, or appending data from the main database.

For logging and virtual control (using a PC to control the scanner), you would need either ProScan ($50) or ARC536 Pro. (The Pro version, $69.95, is required if you want virtual control & logging, among other features. The Basic version, $39.95, can handle programming, but no logging or pc control.) Both programs have a thirty day free trial period, so that you can 'drive before you buy'. Both also include free lifetime updates for bug fixes, or for new features & enhancements. Download & try both, purchase the one you like best.

I prefer ProScan. Besides the SDS & x36HP series scanners, it also supports a large number of other Uniden scanners.

Status
Not open for further replies.