TRX-1: Simulcast

Status
Not open for further replies.

TOP2

Our county switched from an analog Simulcast to digital phase II system. I didn't have problems receiving in the analog side but now it doesn't seem to do well. Is there some setting that may need to be adjusted to help. The system is a Harris 800 trunk digital system with 10 sites with all the same control channels.I have adjusted the squelch to what i think is the best position based on what I am hearing. I guess the best way to put it is the performance is not is good on digital as it was on analog and I thought someone may have found some tweaks that improved the performance.
Thanks

bailly2

stick the antenna through a hole in the side of an empty paint can, near the bottom. helps alot of simulcast distortion

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
TRX-1 Simulcast

Paint can!? here's *video* what I did when I just want to hear our 800mhz Simulcast fun. It's a little bit less clumsy in the car too. At home? I just bought a Yagi from Scanner Master. Works perfect beating this interference around us.

https://youtu.be/mKxp3-2_y8g

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
Paint can!? here's *video* what I did when I just want to hear our 800mhz Simulcast fun. It's a little bit less clumsy in the car too. At home? I just bought a Yagi from Scanner Master. Works perfect beating this interference around us.

Hello, Johnnydollar2:

Quick question: Are you using only the BNC to RCA adapter as the antenna? To a pair of 67-year-old eyes, your video seems to show a thin vertical element of some sort emerging from the adapter.

Thanks.

-Johnnie

radio3353

What the previous posts are saying is that receiving a Phase 2 simulcast system on a consumer (Uniden, Whistler) scanner is black magic. There are many posts on RR forums about this. Unfortunately, Uniden and Whistler are silent on making any improvements to their products to fix this problem.

You may need to try a very minimal antenna, a yagi, move your scanner to a different location in the house (I'm not kidding about this) or you may never be able to receive a simulcast system. Sorry, but that's the gist of it. Some listeners can receive a simulcast system because they are blessed with the perfect location in relation to the towers, but most listeners can't. Your only other solution may be to buy a commercial receiver - about $800 and up.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
TRX-1 Simulcast

@gbouwkamp I have THIS one from Scanner Master - listed in the "Indoor Antennas" tab. It's only for 700/800mhz. Works great
Indoor 700/800 MHz Yagi Directional Antenna with Desktop Stand | Scanner Master

I just have it inside pointing at the strongest signal I could find after walking around the apartment with the scanners. I also have that new antenna they just put out that goes from 400-870mhz. That one only gives 7 db of gain and failed to even bring in my 800mhz Simulcast system. But the 400-520 range on it is really good. It's only $30 but you get what you pay for. It's nowhere NEAR as good on 800mhz as the expensive antenna. I'm swamped with Simulcast in the Chicago area. So a Yagi was a must.

Last edited by a moderator:

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
@kc5igh - Yes. it ends right at the top there. It's just the plug extending up. There is no antenna or wires above it. Just a bnc adapter. Here's the photo of it from another post http://forums.radioreference.com/whistler-scanners/341961-whistler-slipping-2.html#post2660385 The Starcom21 Simulcast system is really strong around me. It seemed any antenna I use in the car was having problems. I found in some areas NO antenna worked so I found that BNC connector and have it mounted on a window clip on the outside of the car. It works pretty good but is not perfect of course. The Radio Shack 800mhz antenna is still the one I use the most. Anytime I just want to hear 800mhz I use that BNC adapter as an antenna. It's probably close to the SIZE or length for the frequency.

Last edited by a moderator:

prc117f

What the previous posts are saying is that receiving a Phase 2 simulcast system on a consumer (Uniden, Whistler) scanner is black magic. There are many posts on RR forums about this. Unfortunately, Uniden and Whistler are silent on making any improvements to their products to fix this problem.

You may need to try a very minimal antenna, a yagi, move your scanner to a different location in the house (I'm not kidding about this) or you may never be able to receive a simulcast system. Sorry, but that's the gist of it. Some listeners can receive a simulcast system because they are blessed with the perfect location in relation to the towers, but most listeners can't. Your only other solution may be to buy a commercial receiver - about $800 and up.

From what I can tell the 2016 scanner models are still not capable. I guess both companies are lacking RF engineers for future designs.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Uniden just updated their firmware for the x36 models which has improved P25 and simulcast performance. They are getting there but slowly. If the Unication pagers were lower in price they would give the others a run for their money.

prc117f

I think I found a solution. I noticed if I create a helmet like antenna made out of aluminum and then on the bottom of the chair an aluminum square connect a 1meghom resistor between the the chair alumnium foil and the foil helmet, then connect to a cable (outer is the bottom foil, center the hat)

You can get good reception for simulcast as long as you do not move too much.

prc117f

Uniden just updated their firmware for the x36 models which has improved P25 and simulcast performance. They are getting there but slowly. If the Unication pagers were lower in price they would give the others a run for their money.

Remember They are Commercial user product They are not going to lower the price and cut margins for a small market. It would make no sense for them to do this.

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
The Unications do have a lower price currently, and considering you don't have to invest in yagi antennas, cables,, paper clips, and foil to make them work :) , it might be worth another look for some at the lower price.

http://www.rayspagersales.com/blank

"Uniden just updated their firmware for the x36 models which has improved P25 and simulcast performance. They are getting there but slowly. If the Unication pagers were lower in price they would give the others a run for their money."

prc117f

The Unications do have a lower price currently, and considering you don't have to invest in yagi antennas, cables,, paper clips, and foil to make them work :) , it might be worth another look for some at the lower price.

Unication Pagers for Fire & EMS Services - Ray's Pager Sales

"Uniden just updated their firmware for the x36 models which has improved P25 and simulcast performance. They are getting there but slowly. If the Unication pagers were lower in price they would give the others a run for their money."

shhh. if the streamers buy em and start streaming we might end up seeing the remaining clear stuff gone and end with expensive bricks. (Assuming these things work since they are pagers)

Anyhow they are very complicated devices and require someone with good knowledge of radio systems and may not work which would suck since no money back guarantees.

radio3353

Uniden just updated their firmware for the x36 models which has improved P25 and simulcast performance.

Do you have any objective evidence to back up this 'improvement' to simulcast performance? It's a bold statement. Thanks.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
It has been posted by several but as also stated some did not see any improvement. It is going to depend on how far you are how the system is set up. All you can do is try also change the settings in the scanner may also help. But as many say here your mileage may vary.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
I'm sorry but I have to chime in....unless manufacturers are improving LSM issues in a MOBILE or PORTABLE environment, then you are not doing crap. Am I supposed to drive in my car with a Yagi and keep changing what direction I'm pointing the antenna? Same carrying it portable. I would like to assume that most people are carrying their scanner with them, either on their person or in their car. Or if home, the whole moving it to different areas, or sticking the antenna in a paint can....cmon. My office is where it is. I'm not putting my scanner in the bathroom because that is the only place where it works. Yet you consumers keep buying sub par equipment so they keep hanging them out. I use commercial gear and have zero issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nasby

I'm sorry but I have to chime in....unless manufacturers are improving LSM issues in a MOBILE or PORTABLE environment, then you are not doing crap. Am I supposed to drive in my car with a Yagi and keep changing what direction I'm pointing the antenna? Same carrying it portable. I would like to assume that most people are carrying their scanner with them, either on their person or in their car. Or if home, the whole moving it to different areas, or sticking the antenna in a paint can....cmon. My office is where it is. I'm not putting my scanner in the bathroom because that is the only place where it works. Yet you consumers keep buying sub par equipment so they keep hanging them out. I use commercial gear and have zero issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While commercial grade is nice, some of us don't have 2-3 grand to fork out.

We just hope that the two scanners makers will some day conquer the LSM dillema.

Status
Not open for further replies.