Since we are adding Fourms

Status
Not open for further replies.

AC0RV

Feed Provider
Since we were discussing the addition of new forums such as the space fourm. How about adding a Amateur Radio Forum. Just a thought.

Thanks

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
KC0STG said:
Since we were discussing the addition of new forums such as the space fourm. How about adding a Amateur Radio Forum. Just a thought.

Thanks
Regarding the amateur forum, you will probably get told that this site is dedicated to MONITORING, not transmitting. A while ago I asked for a CB forum and was told just that. :)

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
Just added a marine radio forum. Those transmit.

Plus some of the questions could apply to scanning and quite a bit of this would overlap ham radio. Many hams here often will answer questions about cable loss, how many connectors are too many and why I can't hear them any more, etc.

If nothing else could always remove it in the future, certainly wouldn't hurt to give yet another avenue of options and a resource to share information.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
All of the radios that we monitor do transmit or else we wouldn't be listening to them. The point is that we are mostly monitoring the agencies that we have forums for.

I'd imagine that not everyone on this site has a license to TX on marine radios or Space Shuttle frequencies, but anybody can TX on CB. I'd also wager that a CB forum would spiral out of control with illegal requests for "linears" and so forth.

For HAM, QRZ.com has a HUGE forum. Better yet, I'd visit www.hamsexy.com - They are a more laid-back crowd.

This of course is just my opinion.

car2back

I think someone asked to add a Public Saftey forum, and were told to go find an exclusive public saftey forum...

there are plenty of Forums out there that are exclusively for amateur radio... and there always is the tavern :)

Kirk

DB Admin
Database Admin
I'd like to see a technical forum for things like installs. We have a thread in the Tavern with pictures of vehicle installs and shack photos, but I'm thinking more along the lines of a place to ask tech questions (about things like automotive consoles, wiring, speakers, etc).

I'm getting ready to do some pretty significant installs of equipment in my new vehicle, and while I've figured most of it out on my own, I'm sure others could use assistance, and I'd sure like to hear from anyone who has specific tips on putting radio gear in a Toyota Sequoia.

maalox

hi how about a feedback forum. since theres a lot of new members seling/trading radios etc. we can see if before we buy/trade from a member if he/she can provide references of other tranactions he made with other members.

electricsheep

KC0STG said:

Thanks

Been asked for many times before and we have been turned down.
I have a hard time understanding some of the forums that are created here from time to time (marine?) and then turn down an amateur forum. I would hazard a guess that many of us here are licensed operators as well as monitoring fans.

daleduke17

Kirk said:
I'd like to see a technical forum for things like installs. We have a thread in the Tavern with pictures of vehicle installs and shack photos, but I'm thinking more along the lines of a place to ask tech questions (about things like automotive consoles, wiring, speakers, etc).

I'm getting ready to do some pretty significant installs of equipment in my new vehicle, and while I've figured most of it out on my own, I'm sure others could use assistance, and I'd sure like to hear from anyone who has specific tips on putting radio gear in a Toyota Sequoia.

Kirk, that is a pretty cool idea. Hopefully that one comes to fruition.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
acetech said:
How about a forum to discuss the addition of new forums?

Sorry :p

If we go this route I respectfully ask that we have a forum to discuss the addition of a forum to discuss the addition of new forums...It seems only fair :cool:

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
MatteBlack said:
Been asked for many times before and we have been turned down.
I have a hard time understanding some of the forums that are created here from time to time (marine?) and then turn down an amateur forum. I would hazard a guess that many of us here are licensed operators as well as monitoring fans.

Where do you see a Marine forum here?

This is not an amateur radio site, this is a radio reference site. The site operators (read: me) decided long ago that this was a patch that we are not going to play in. QRZ, eham, and countless other sites have this well covered.

I received a request a while back to create a forum for Marine band monitoring... and I made a concious decision not to add that forum because I don't see much of a demand for that.

electricsheep

blantonl said:
Where do you see a Marine forum here?

This is not an amateur radio site, this is a radio reference site. The site operators (read: me) decided long ago that this was a patch that we are not going to play in. QRZ, eham, and countless other sites have this well covered.

I received a request a while back to create a forum for Marine band monitoring... and I made a concious decision not to add that forum because I don't see much of a demand for that.

http://www.radioreference.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98 :)

And as for QRZ and Eham being the only place to talk amateur radio, that's exactly why we need an alternative that is anything but those forums. As many people can surely attest to, unless you seem to belong to a certain clique or subscribe to "The QRZ" world view, you are either out of luck for amateur discussion or stuck with the goons at Hamsexy who believe that ranting discussions by members on "shooting all Indians" is a perfectly fine and valid topic that falls under "politics."

mciupa

Database Admin
Why the heck do you have a transceiver ? :confused:

Discuss your Amateur Radio topics on-the-air :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.