SINCGARS and Civilian raidos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian0291

Id like to know if you could just buy a radio anywhere that has the ability to transmit to a SINCGARS radio transmitter that isnt keyed in Cypher Text or Frequency hop...Basicly if the SINCGARS radio was setup in a Plain text Single channel setting, What kinda of civilian radio can you grab to transmit and receive to it? Preferable handheld like an MBITR

Just from doing research around here, I know you need a 150mhz tone to transmit to it...

prcguy

I don't know of any civilian radios that do 150hz tone squelch, otherwise you would have to run the SINCGARS in open squelch mode. There are lots of old PRC-25, 77s, PRC-68 series and foreign made military radios that do VHF lo with 150Hz squelch.

The MBITR or PRC-6809 clear version works fine but they are a little pricey.
prcguy

bc780l

Premium Subscriber
Alinco DR-06 can cover 40.0 through 69.995
CTCSS of 151.4 will generally work with 150.0
Some radios will directly work non-standard CTCSS (Harris)

prcguy

I've not found a commercial/amateur radio with 151.4 tone that will work, plus the tone deviation needs to be at least 2KHz otherwise the mil radio cannot decode it. Most commercial/amateur radios have about 750Hz deviation or less for the tone.
prcguy

Alinco DR-06 can cover 40.0 through 69.995
CTCSS of 151.4 will generally work with 150.0
Some radios will directly work non-standard CTCSS (Harris)

bc780l

Premium Subscriber
Have to check which SG versions we have, but it works here ... We have also had luck with Kenwood TK-6110. However, yes, I agree encode/decode can be problematic--however it is even between SG units, which is why no tones are frequently used on our domops and other simplex nets. Harris Unity mobile, with the low-band amplifier, has also worked--with that, however, you can go direct to 150.0 -- unfortunately $$ is likely the best answer for reliable connections.

spacellamaman

well.... i fear you have failed to consider an oft overlooked stumbling block

Id like to know if you could just buy a radio anywhere that has the ability to transmit to a SINCGARS radio transmitter that isnt keyed in Cypher Text or Frequency hop...Basicly if the SINCGARS radio was setup in a Plain text Single channel setting, What kinda of civilian radio can you grab to transmit and receive to it? Preferable handheld like an MBITR

Just from doing research around here, I know you need a 150mhz tone to transmit to it...

well the problem with the 150 tone is doable, but what i think you haven't considered, is you will need two people to operate the radio.

If you want to utilize Plain Text Single Channel, one of you will manipulate the controls and convey audible messages verbally, BUT rather awkwardly, you'll need a buddy cheek to cheek with you, saying *BEEP*(or boop?) every 4-5 seconds while you are transmitting.

good luck finding someone to agree to that. i wouldn't.

spacellamaman

If you want to utilize Plain Text Single Channel, one of you will manipulate the controls and convey audible messages verbally, BUT rather awkwardly, you'll need a buddy cheek to cheek with you, saying *BEEP*(or boop?) every 4-5 seconds while you are transmitting.

wow.... i really thought that would bring the house down... a sympathy chuckle?

mancow

Database Admin
Syntor X9000. If I'm not mistaken they will accept non standard PL tones. Is that correct?

jimvm

Subaudio tone 150.0 Hz

That is correct! My Syntor X9000 does 150.0 Hz. I once talked to an army copter on 51.000 MHz.
Not sure if he was using carrier squelch.

jim vm

Status
Not open for further replies.