SINCGARS RADIO

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi all i have a Question...i live in the Cleveland Ohio area and i've read posts on R.R. about receiving SINCGARS radio transmissions.... How is this possible? and where do i start?...i thought these were channel hopping radios and impossible to track ....

nd5y

SINCGARS doesn't use frequency hopping all the time.
Set your scanner to search 30-88 MHz in 25 kHz steps in FM mode (not NFM).
The military mainly uses the frequency ranges listed here that are reserved for federal government use.
You would likely need an external antenna designed for VHF low band to be able to hear anything there.

Last edited:

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
SINCGARS is not a single mode, but a radio system capable of multiple modes such a voice, data, fax, location positioning, frequency hopping, cryptologic capable, analog/digital functions. All the functions are built into the radio, rather than having to add on physical modules such as the KY-38 or KY-57 boxes.

empireco

Here's another GREAT place to get updated freqs that you will hear SINCGARS radios especially on .Mil Helos
most of the time SINCGARS radios employ a 150 Hz sub audible squelch tone. If you are picking up 146.2 or 151.4 flashing on a tone search with a Uniden BCT15X on a FED frequency you can be pretty sure it's SINCGARS or othe .Mil radio especially if you see .Mil helos in your area on ADSBexchange.

empireco

SINCGARS doesn't use frequency hopping all the time.
Set your scanner to search 30-88 MHz in 25 kHz steps in FM mode (not NFM).
The military mainly uses the frequency ranges listed here that are reserved for federal government use.
You would likely need an external antenna designed for VHF low band to be able to hear anything there.
I actually have better luck on the BCT15X in NFM mode, at least with the .mil transmissions in my area.
.Mil helos come in loud and clear on VHF Lo and mid band in NFM mode with no distortion and sound weak on FM Mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.