• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Single p25 reaeater site

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamackels

I've been toying with this idea, since our local PD has banned us from using our cell phones in the hand held fashon, I'd look at communicating with other people (Dad and 1 friend) in another light.

I know it's going to take some time and money. My questions are simple though. Has anybody here patched the phone interconnect through a p-25 repeater? In my business, I'm self-dispatched via cell phone, and I don't do the hand held function, but I can't seem to get the other 2 people to follow suit.

To me, it's just another toy/hooby. I'd like to expant it though, with several sites around 8. Back in the days when Analog cell phones were being phased out, Nextel had a good 800Mhz system in place. Most everybody had portables, like the MTX8000 (If that's right, it's been a while) and they kicked some butt! At times, we were able to hit the south site 30 miles away, on a 4 watt radio!! It also had a phone patch in it, I used it some because analog phone service was poor at the time.

MANY people would LOVE to have a good radio system, like some of the towing companies. There is a need and demand for it. P-25 would offer the same feautures of WYOLINK (public safety p-25 matrix, but its state-wide) since most of us don't qualify to be on it.. Such a shame, we build it, but can't use it.

I'm very new to the whole radio scene, I understand most of the terms, but just never been exposed to it in real life. Like I said though, I want to start out with 1 repeater, and work my way to several, and HOPE I can make a samll business out of it ultimately..

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I'm not quite sure what you're asking for, but there's several ways you can solve your needs.

1. If it's purely a hobby, get a ham license.
2. If it's to talk to a few friends and family, get a GMRS license.
3. If it's purely for business use, get a business band license, or lease service.

I'm not sure what you mean about the "hand held function". Do you mean PTT operation like Nextel? Enhanced features on a radio system, such as is used for public safety is expensive, especially wide area. Explore the 3 suggestions above, and see what fits your need. All are "affordable", depending on your definition. A wide-area P25 is likely NOT affordable, by almost anyone's definition.

adamackels

I do have a Ham license, and a business license. My Ham license is KF7HMP, and my business is WQLF362, but limited to be Itinerant only. My Dad getting a Ham license? Not going to happen, I have a hard enough time teaching him to use Ebay.

On the same note though, there isn't anybody here offering any repeaters for business use, we live in Cheyenne, WY. If you know of anybody, please let me know! Sections of I-80 between Cheyenne and Rawlins, then east towards Sidney NE, and, then NE toward Torrington WY, and Scottsbluff, NE is all areas where we frequently travel.

I wouldn't want to cover all that area, but Cheyenne area would be cool.

signal500

K4DPS
Premium Subscriber
Years ago I worked on a large farm and we used low-band (30.60 MHz) base and mobiles with a telephone interconnect. It worked well for coverage over 100+ miles. Depending on your needed coverage area, you might look into that option. But to answer your question, yes, you may use a telephone interconnect on a single P25 site, the FAA utilizes that type of system down here in Florida.

Motoflightmedic

Premium Subscriber
If all you are needing to to is talk back to the base this low band option is a good choice, but if you are looking to talk mobile to mobile you will need some sort of repeater. you can do a low band repeater but if you want to go digital you will have to do VHF or UHF. You might look at the Kenwood NXDN digital trunking system. It offers lots of features and cost a fraction of what a P25 system would cost. It is easy to connect repeaters through ip connections. If you are looking at a system to invest in for selling repeater service this looks like a good choice.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I do have a Ham license, and a business license. My Ham license is KF7HMP, and my business is WQLF362, but limited to be Itinerant only. My Dad getting a Ham license? Not going to happen, I have a hard enough time teaching him to use Ebay.

On the same note though, there isn't anybody here offering any repeaters for business use, we live in Cheyenne, WY. If you know of anybody, please let me know! Sections of I-80 between Cheyenne and Rawlins, then east towards Sidney NE, and, then NE toward Torrington WY, and Scottsbluff, NE is all areas where we frequently travel.

I wouldn't want to cover all that area, but Cheyenne area would be cool.

You missed my point. The solution is dependent on the requirement. What exactly do you need the radios for, personal or business? Your original post is a bit ambiguous in that regard. If it's business, then your dad getting a ham license is moot. If it's personal, than your dad could operate under a GMRS license that you obtain. And if your itinerant business license won't cover what you need, then get one that does. If it's a legitimate business need, then you're eligible. If it's not a legitimate business need, than GMRS will fill the bill.

And I find it hard to believe that there are no radio dealers in Cheyenne that can't help. Have you looked in the yellow pages of the phone book?

Status
Not open for further replies.