Sioux Falls towers on state system

Status
Not open for further replies.

radioboy75

Premium Subscriber
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know the locations of the towers in Sioux Falls for the state trunked system? They don't appear to have callsigns, so you can't look on the FCC database. I assume they're on water towers or cell towers or something.

littona

Super Freq
Premium Subscriber
You can flip the map to FCC callsign listings. That only showed this one: FCC Callsign WPWF333 (BIT/State Radio Communications Engineering)
But yeah, your mileage will vary. They're not always listed/registered like they should be. Sometimes when they are, they estimate the lat/long and end up elsewhere in the neighborhood. Sometimes when I'm looking for a tower, I'll put the lat/long in Google Earth, then go to street view and "look around" for the tower. :D

Rlahey

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. That's kinda what I was looking for. But Sioux Falls has 3 sites, and the only pin on the map in Sioux Falls appears to be a house, not a tower of any kind. But thanks for the map. It helps with the other sites in the state.
I was gonna try and hyperlink the google map locations but its being touchy. Central Sioux Falls VA water tower, north Sioux Falls is on the Penitentiary on the highest point were all the antennas are. Then you have the Baltic SD site, and then the Humbolt site.

bbtkd

Feed Provider
There are three towers in Sioux Falls, and the only one where the location is known for sure is the prison. I've spotted one tower that looked likely, not cell, and it was either West 57th or west 41St. I suspect the third is in the Southeast part of town, possibly in the Lincoln county part of the city so it can cover Northern Lincoln county too.

radioboy75

Premium Subscriber
You can flip the map to FCC callsign listings. That only showed this one: FCC Callsign WPWF333 (BIT/State Radio Communications Engineering)
But yeah, your mileage will vary. They're not always listed/registered like they should be. Sometimes when they are, they estimate the lat/long and end up elsewhere in the neighborhood. Sometimes when I'm looking for a tower, I'll put the lat/long in Google Earth, then go to street view and "look around" for the tower. :D
How do you "flip the map to FCC callsign listings?" I don't see that option anywhere. What am I missing?

littona

Super Freq
Premium Subscriber
How do you "flip the map to FCC callsign listings?" I don't see that option anywhere. What am I missing?
When you look at a trunked system, scroll down to System Frequencies. Over to the right, look for Site Map(s). Choose FCC Callsigns. This might be a paid feature.

System Frequencies
Red (c) are primary control channels | Blue (a) are alternate control channels | Site Map(s): FCC Callsigns RR Locations

radioboy75

Premium Subscriber
I gotcha. OK. I thought you meant that on the map there was an option to flip the results to something else. You just mean that's how you get to the map. Which is still valuable information, thanks.

Rlahey

Premium Subscriber
There are three towers in Sioux Falls, and the only one where the location is known for sure is the prison. I've spotted one tower that looked likely, not cell, and it was either West 57th or west 41St. I suspect the third is in the Southeast part of town, possibly in the Lincoln county part of the city so it can cover Northern Lincoln county too.
Okay here are the current simulcast sites- Penitentiary, VA water tower, and the third is on a tower just east of great bear ski area/six mile rd

future plans are to add simulcast sites:

1 Water tower at W 41st and Kuehn Park near Roosevelt HS
2 Near SFFD station 12 near E 41st and Hwy 11
3 I believe near Station 4 south side of the city near 69th st
4 Tea
5 Harrisburg

Status
Not open for further replies.