Siren Activation Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twister_2

Feed Provider
Hello. I don't know if this is the right spot for this post. If it is not, you may move it to the right place.

I live in Dauphin County, Pa. I am trying to find a frequency that is used to transmit signals to our sirens that make them turn on. I do not believe that it is the dispatch channel, but I may be wrong. If someone could direct me to a page or post a reply to this that is helpful, I would be very happy. I checked the wiki and I found nothing.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Hello. I don't know if this is the right spot for this post. If it is not, you may move it to the right place.

I live in Dauphin County, Pa. I am trying to find a frequency that is used to transmit signals to our sirens that make them turn on. I do not believe that it is the dispatch channel, but I may be wrong. If someone could direct me to a page or post a reply to this that is helpful, I would be very happy. I checked the wiki and I found nothing.

Fire Sirens? I always thought that they have their own tone that the dispatcher sends to them to turn them on. I know that the FD's around here in saratoga county, NY have at least 2 antennas, I think that 1 is for recieving the tone for the siren
I'd also like to know from someone who has an idea, on how these things are activated

Here in NJ, you will first hear the tones go out to activate everyone's pager, followed by the dispatch information. After the dispatcher finishes, there is another set of tones, which trips the siren(s)

steveh552

Most if not all FD's in my county has done away with the sirens and rely on pagers. We have a county wide tornado siren system as well, and I know the 911 center sends out a DTMF tone on the county EMA channel which activates and deactivates those.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
I'll have to listen to the county that I'm in on the fire frequency
I listen to the EMS Dispatch a lot and this is what I will hear (sometimes a FD which is on low band will be dispatched along with EMS on the VHF high band)
I will hear: tone & tone, 8 sec pause (then our Fire siren will go off, but not sure if its after 8 sec pause or before), hillcrest FD & Clifton Park Halfmoon EMS respond to....
Somehow here the siren will go off on the second tone

Last edited:

nrps801

Ok, that's volunteer correct? i haven't heard any calls because I got my scanner 2 days ago, but will I hear the tone then the call said with what it is plus the location?

Zack08

You didn't specify wether youre talking about the fire sirens or the TMI sirens....

If you're talking about the fire sirens, I think they are either landline or they use the tones along with the FD.

If youre talking about TMI, they are all via radio, but their modems transmit more often then when the sirens are activated, so listening to this channel for siren activations won't help you much. Each site is monitored by the control center, so every time the EOC polls the sites (wich I would assume is daily), you can hear a nearly identical sounding data burst as what is sent for an alert.

Steveradio

We use a second tone drop at the end of the announcement in Lehigh County, A lot of stations do not activate them anymore.

Northampton County still uses the old "waker" tones they were called. Not even sure what the official name of them were. Guess like plextron tones almost.

Steve

Mattsenft

Premium Subscriber
In Dauphin County fire department house sirens are activated by Plectron recievers on 33.80 using two-tone plectron tones. The house siren tones are dispatched following the pager tones on the initial dispatch only.

Tommahawk

Phew..... That took long enough!!!! Thanks Matt for the answer. I was just about ready to contact Dauphin County directly to find out......

Here in Lancaster County 33.60mhz is the frequency for siren activation. With numerous Amish firefighters in the area most stations have sirens, although they tend to place them on a timer so they don't go off at night time. The station I used to run with uses a plectron that is over 40 years old and it still works to this day.........

W9GC

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber

n5ims

Someone activated the sirens in Brunswick OH last night. "Police were unable to override the hacker's radio tones and had to turn off each of the six sirens by hand. The noise, which began at 12:44 a.m., went on for about 20 minutes. "

http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114979

Probably not related, but interesting when you see both threads together.

Twister_2

Feed Provider
SAR2401:

You need to mention who you are addressing in your post. You've been around here long enough to know this by now.

Yea, he should. I don't understand what he is talking about if he is directing it to me.

AND...for some reason, I didn't get email alerts for this thread. Huh.

Status
Not open for further replies.