Siren App on Multiple Scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Here are some questions on the Siren App:

I have two scanners, one at home and the other in my vehicle.

If I install the Siren App on my iPhone will I be able to use it to control the scanner at home and the one in the car?

Would there be two different configurations needed to accomplish that?

Or should I figure on getting two iPhones (or perhaps an old iPhone no longer in service but still operational for things other than phone service) so that one is for the vehicle with my "regular" iPhone for home use?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Not yet released, though I can't help but thinking it has to be real soon.

Upman has already dropped a few hints here and there about what we might be seeing in the app and I was kind of hoping that he might drop a few more. . . (Nothing ventured, nothing gained :twisted: )

MesquiteWx

Premium Subscriber
I am going to venture no you won't be able to control the scanner you have in the car as the scanner needs to be able to connect to WiFi in order for the app to connect to it and if it is in your car it has no way of connecting to WiFi. Seems a little redundant to control a scanner from an app though that would be next to you in the vehicle. It is also possible you won't even need a scanner in your vehicle at all if you're able to stream and control it via the app. Buying a second non working iPhone isn't going to help you ether because it will have no WiFi to connect to the scanner unless you plan on creating an ad-hoc network in your vehicle just to control the scanner from your phone but, then again that goes back to being redundant. Seeing we have very little information about how this app is going to work and Uniden refuses to answer these kind of functionality questions for the customers there is no really way and saying for sure and apparently we aren't allowed to speculate all we can do is hurry up a wait and be prisoners to Uniden.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
My vehicle's scanner is in a console which has a lid. So it is not easily accessible (which is the same place I had my 996xt with a remote head on the dashboard).

Streaming to the scanner at home is a good thing, but if I'm travelling to Minnesota and my scanner is in Kentucky, I won't be able to listen to Minnesota stuff.

I'm thinking that WIFI and internet connectivity are two separate creatures. An old iPhone may not have internet connectivity but it should still connect to a WIFI. Though I could be wrong.

I agree that Uniden is playing their cards too close to the vest on the app's progress. I understand why they don't announce productus before they are ready for competitive reasons, but the cat is out of the bag on the Siren App. If nothing else, information on what kind of progess they are making with the app is helpful to customers so they can plan accordingly. Often the lack of information gets people's imaginations going and sometimes these imaginations run unreasonably sinister.

MesquiteWx

Premium Subscriber
Streaming to the scanner at home is a good thing, but if I'm travelling to Minnesota and my scanner is in Kentucky, I won't be able to listen to Minnesota stuff.

Ah good point, yeah didn't think about that. Locally it would be ok but, I guess if you're travelling it could be an issue.

I'm thinking that WIFI and internet connectivity are two separate creatures. An old iPhone may not have internet connectivity but it should still connect to a WIFI. Though I could be wrong.

WiFi is internet connectivity just in a wireless flavor. You are on track with one thing but, there is a small issue. While the phone may not have service, it can still connect to WiFi to get internet connectivity but, only if you're within a WiFi hotspot. So just driving down the highway you won't have internet because there won't be any WiFi. Also the App would need an external IP with a port to connect to the scanner. If the scanner is bouncing from hotspot to hotspot the IP is always going to be changing and you would also have no way to port forward it.

I agree that Uniden is playing their cards too close to the vest on the app's progress. I understand why they don't announce productus before they are ready for competitive reasons, but the cat is out of the bag on the Siren App. If nothing else, information on what kind of progess they are making with the app is helpful to customers so they can plan accordingly. Often the lack of information gets people's imaginations going and sometimes these imaginations run unreasonably sinister.

BINGO!!! Just some kind of update on progress or functionality so people can plan I don't think is asking much. There is not really competitive reasons why they should withhold information as they have no competition as they arrogantly even mentioned that in their product launch for this scanner. Like you said, cat is out of the bag and they even announced this radio would have an app in Nov. I don't know who they are trying to hide this from other than their customers.

forums manager

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
So far I've closed two of these Siren discussion threads. If this one degrades down then it's three strikes and you're out, no more Siren threads until UPMan posts or the app gets released.

Dafe1er

Off in a far away place, far from u.......
So far I've closed two of these Siren discussion threads. If this one degrades down then it's three strikes and you're out, no more Siren threads until UPMan posts or the app gets released.

I know this is your "job" to Police the threads BUT COME ON BRO! People have the right to question things that are not being answered and by you or any other person of this site keep shutting down threads to make you/ them happy is just getting more and more members pissed.

I think instead of closing things down we get a real turn of events and some answers!

Dafe1er

Here is your original posting to me:

"Tell you what. Just to make you happy, how about every time someone posts a question about the non-existent Siren app, a moderator answers by saying "There's still nothing to say"? Do you really think a long string of posts along the lines of "Is it here yet?" "No, it's not." really accomplishes anything?

When Uniden decides to release the app, we'll have something to talk about. Until then, these sorts of posts are Tavern fodder".

Yes, Uniden does not need to say anything, and YES this is getting old BUT, people have paid out money under false pretenses and have the right to question things NOT currently being talked about at all.

All they keep getting is push back and BS from you and other site admin and staff.

Uniden were the ones to drop the ball not the consumers who shelled out a ton of money for things that WERE SOLD as coming with the unit.

I have gone back and re-read the threads and watched the videos where Uniden PUSHED the app siren as one of the main features and where UPman stated there were issues with the app and it would be coming soon with a beta version (LAST MONTH NO SHOW) and I also noticed that just after RELEASE of the 536 the only thing on the Uniden website listed about problems with the app was this little fine text that said nothing more than "App release Q1 2014".

If consumers are purchasing products under false pretenses and come on here to find out what is what who is the Radio Reference and their cronies to belittle and mock members?

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
You can complain all you want. You can flagellate your keyboard about your "rights" until the cows come home. You can make all kinds of insinuations about RadioReference's administrators, moderators, and "cronies".

But, the bottom line is this:

When Uniden decides to release the app, we'll have something to talk about. Until then, these sorts of posts are Tavern fodder.

If you don't like it, contact Uniden.

Dafe1er

You can complain all you want. You can flagellate your keyboard about your "rights" until the cows come home. You can make all kinds of insinuations about RadioReference's administrators, moderators, and "cronies".

When Uniden decides to release the app, we'll have something to talk about. Until then, these sorts of posts are Tavern fodder.

bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

Good Day!

MesquiteWx

Premium Subscriber

I am sorry but, that seems a little arrogant. Not ALL of us are asking WHEN it will be released. SOME of us just want some information about how it will work and function and Uniden is not offering ANY information or if the app is even on schedule and this "it will be out when it's out" attitude is a little disrespectful. There has been no solid confirmation on if this radio will have an internal web server that will be used to connect to the app for web based streaming.

Not all of us our using these scanners for hobby listening. Some of us are using these in public safety during emergency ops to monitor other agencies in which Interop isn't available during emergency events. So since there is no rec out jack anymore only one can assume which we have also been told not to do that it will have to have an internal server in order for it to connect to the app, otherwise how else will it? I personally don't actually care about the app. I won't use it, I am just wanting to know how they this is suppose to function? I spent good money and a lot of money to just be shunted and told you'll find out when it is released. That is a poor way to treat customers.

I wonder what would happen if Uniden said "We will fix the headphone jack issue when we fix it" Then providing no information about it? Are you saying a feature that was marketed with this radio to boost says is not important enough to question but that is?

If you don't like it, contact Uniden.

I for one have, with no results as no one there knows anything about the app. I was told they had nothing to do with it and it was outsourced for development. I am starting to put two and two together as to why there has been no information to provide from Uniden. One would think this would have been in development LONG before this radio was even marketed to have an app to boost the sales. So yes, consumers have a valid reason to question this silence. What is going to be said come April 1st and there is still silence from Uniden? Do we as members and consumers not have a voice or is RR going to defend Uniden because they scratch each others backs because Uniden fills the pocket of this site. Well, I as a consumer have filled Unidens pocket so that should entitled me to have a voice.

lugnuts

Premium Subscriber
I am going to venture no you won't be able to control the scanner you have in the car as the scanner needs to be able to connect to WiFi in order for the app to connect to it and if it is in your car it has no way of connecting to WiFi. Seems a little redundant to control a scanner from an app though that would be next to you in the vehicle. It is also possible you won't even need a scanner in your vehicle at all if you're able to stream and control it via the app. Buying a second non working iPhone isn't going to help you ether because it will have no WiFi to connect to the scanner unless you plan on creating an ad-hoc network in your vehicle just to control the scanner from your phone but, then again that goes back to being redundant. Seeing we have very little information about how this app is going to work and Uniden refuses to answer these kind of functionality questions for the customers there is no really way and saying for sure and apparently we aren't allowed to speculate all we can do is hurry up a wait and be prisoners to Uniden.

wifi does not mean internet. wifi is just an antenna to conect different devices wirelessly. the gopro camera has wifi and can connect to a tablet or phone to stream the video on the phone or tablet and be used as a screen. I have a printer at home that is wifi that I can print to from any wifi device in my home it is not connected to the internet.

a wireless router uses wifi to conect to your wifi devices but it still needs a modem to connect to the internet. just like bluetooth its just a wireless connection tool.

To the OP, there will probably be a way to toggle the different devices (scanners) with the siren app.

MesquiteWx

Premium Subscriber
wifi does not mean internet. wifi is just an antenna to conect different devices wirelessly. the gopro camera has wifi and can connect to a tablet or phone to stream the video on the phone or tablet and be used as a screen. I have a printer at home that is wifi that I can print to from any wifi device in my home it is not connected to the internet.

a wireless router uses wifi to conect to your wifi devices but it still needs a modem to connect to the internet. just like bluetooth its just a wireless connection tool.

To the OP, there will probably be a way to toggle the different devices (scanners) with the siren app.

That is called Ad-Hoc network which I mentioned in that post. You're assuming the radio will have a internal web server that is capable of running in an Ad-Hoc environment which no one knows if it will or how it will work and apparently we are not allowed to ask questions like these so we can make plans on how we want to use them or make other plans. If Uniden goes with a cloud base solution like many other remote apps are doing then running Ad-Hoc will not work as it will have to connect to the internet. WiFi, is a technology that allows an electronic device to exchange data or connect to the internet wirelessly by definition. A lot of apps and companies go with the cloud based solution as it is more user friendly for those that are network challenged so they don't have to do port forwards. If you think the posts are bad now about the App, just wait till it is released and they don't go with a cloud based solution. You will have to start a new section just for networking for the App as it will be a port forwarding nightmare for some. Regardless we are all in limbo on how or what steps we want to take to implement these into our environments that will suite our needs due to the lack of information from Uniden about this.

lugnuts

Premium Subscriber
maybe thats what is taking so long, making it user friendly without the internet.

I do recall in the initial release video them talking about remote mounting the scanner in your car and using a tablet or phone to acess it so that tells me no internet is needed because most people use wifi tablets and not the cell internet tablets.

Last edited:

gchapel

This features summary direct from Uniden and posted by Ham Radio Outlet says ,
"What's APPening? Uniden's Siren App is the first-ever app that allows you to directly control and listen to your scanner. Connect the BCD536HP in infrastructure mode to your home's wireless access point and access it using your smartphone or tablet from anywhere in your house...or anywhere in the world where you have an internet connection.

Or, set the BCD536HP to operate as an access point, and use your smartphone or tablet as a remote head, even when you are away from other internet connections.

The Uniden Siren app gives you freedom like never before to roam around your house or around the country, while still keeping completely in touch with and in control of your scanner. We are still working on this exciting development, so stay tuned for more information before product release."

This feature write-up basically confirms that you can use your phone or tablet to access the BCD536HP directly via wifi without internet service.

This allows you to use your phone or tablet as a remote head. I plan on installing the scanner under my rear seat in the tool box. I have a coax to an exterior mount antenna and 12V power already available. Then I can use my phone app through my truck sound system to monitor the scanner.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Uniden has previously stated that the 536HP will run in Ad-Hoc mode to allow a phone or tablet to be used as a remote head when no external Wi-Fi is available.

MesquiteWx

Premium Subscriber
If that is the case then it won't be a cloud based solution. I have heard it stated that you could use a tablet or phone as a remote head but, never heard if it would run in an Ad-hoc option. I don't see why it couldn't though. The video says you can access it from anywhere in the world as long as you have internet. So that could also be how it is used as a remote head. So there is no telling how they are planning it.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Uniden has specifically stated that the 536HP will be capable of being configured as an "independent access point".

Status
Not open for further replies.