Siren App Update !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
I've been following these Siren app postings for some time - I find them fascinating. And I hear (sometimes loudly) the frustration in everyone about this app, from RR members to UPMan himself. I can't imagine anyone wants to be in Uniden's position, especially when they want to grow the market (like any rational company would).

I wanted to ask a question about the Siren app and its interface, and I hope the moderators will leave the thread open until an answer materializes (or UPMan might respond directly, if the thread gets locked). I find the possibility of wireless mobile operation really cool, because it means I don't have to pull another wire from the scanner to the front of the car to get it to work (as I would have to if the WS-1095 comes to fruition).

My question: How come Uniden chose a WiFi dongle for the remote interface, instead of the more-common Bluetooth?

Was it because there are so many BT signals in the environment (especially the little RF box you drive to work every day) that it wasn't practical for interference reasons? Range? Honestly, I'm just curious, since this seems to be the first WiFi remote application of its kind out there.

While I'm certain Uniden has through of this as a workaround, is it even feasible to engineer the app to work with both a BT dongle as well as a WiFi dongle? Then the user could select their choice. Or is it unrealistic to think the WiFi development scales to a BT solution? (Or, perhaps more to the point, is it too far down the road in too small a market to make the investment?)

Honestly, and without blaming or anger, I'm just curious.

I do believe it was the range.

JamesO

I've been following these Siren app postings for some time - I find them fascinating. And I hear (sometimes loudly) the frustration in everyone about this app, from RR members to UPMan himself. I can't imagine anyone wants to be in Uniden's position, especially when they want to grow the market (like any rational company would).

I wanted to ask a question about the Siren app and its interface, and I hope the moderators will leave the thread open until an answer materializes (or UPMan might respond directly, if the thread gets locked). I find the possibility of wireless mobile operation really cool, because it means I don't have to pull another wire from the scanner to the front of the car to get it to work (as I would have to if the WS-1095 comes to fruition).

My question: How come Uniden chose a WiFi dongle for the remote interface, instead of the more-common Bluetooth?

Was it because there are so many BT signals in the environment (especially the little RF box you drive to work every day) that it wasn't practical for interference reasons? Range? Honestly, I'm just curious, since this seems to be the first WiFi remote application of its kind out there.

While I'm certain Uniden has through of this as a workaround, is it even feasible to engineer the app to work with both a BT dongle as well as a WiFi dongle? Then the user could select their choice. Or is it unrealistic to think the WiFi development scales to a BT solution? (Or, perhaps more to the point, is it too far down the road in too small a market to make the investment?)

Honestly, and without blaming or anger, I'm just curious.

Not an official answer, but my perspective.

WiFi or a network connection allow easy connection to a home or office LAN network, this was probably the first thought to allow remote access to your scanner while you are away from the facility via a smart phone with an App installed. I assume the secondary idea was that you could also connect via an AdHoc network connection directly to the scanner without it being on a LAN network and use the same App, maybe a subset of it, to remotely control and listen to the scanner.

Bluetooth would not have allowed easy access via LAN but it would have allowed easy access to a Smart Phone. Now I am not an expert here on IOS, but I understand that Apple IOS will not allow Bluetooth data communications due to security reasons. Maybe it will but only with Apple approved applications??? I do a lot in the automotive diagnosis world and the Apple IOS items can ONLY be connected to a bi-directions data connection via WiFi interfaces in AdHoc mode. Since this is not just music streaming or a standard phone BT headpiece, Apple is worried about connection security from my understanding.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Well, as you can see an update that says there is not an update doesn't travel well. Anyone here work for Broadcom? I could use another lever to push. Meanwhile, we have restarted app development using other methods (more tedious/convoluted) that will avoid the intrinsic issues with the adapter. Until the app developer can assess fully the schedule impact, I can't really provide a timeline update (which, I know, is what everyone really wants).

It's still reassuring to hear something every so often, even though not what exactly everyone would like to hear or give.

durangoGreg

Pathetic Uniden!

Here it is nearly August and Uniden is not even able to give an estimate for when the Siren App, WiFi, and Analyze features will be available. Yet they still have "Coming Soon" in small text on their website.

Just shows how lame this company is that they can't even come up with target date. Thank god Apple, Samsung, Icom, Microsoft, IBM, Google, and every other decent company doesn't work this way.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Pathetic Uniden!

Here it is nearly August and Uniden is not even able to give an estimate for when the Siren App, WiFi, and Analyze features will be available. Yet they still have "Coming Soon" in small text on their website.

Just shows how lame this company is that they can't even come up with target date. Thank god Apple, Samsung, Icom, Microsoft, IBM, Google, and every other decent company doesn't work this way.

Because they Can't give a target date. If they gave a date and it passed then all hell would break loose yet again. Coming soon is vague and allows leeway for their people to work on the problem. If they said say AUGUST 23, 2014 and it came to Aug 24th and it wasn't out what would that do? It comes down to they really don't know when it will be out. If Paul says he doesn't know people jump all over him, if he says nothing people jump on his silence. He isn't doing the work and he gets no update on when or if it will be released so I am surprised and relieved that he at least lets us know something.

wise871

Database Admin
Since your giving out updates, what's the status of the Analyzer feature? This is a fair question seeing the Analyzer has nothing to do with the Siren App development or the Wi-Fi dongle problems, also it effects both the 436 & 536. Seeing the x36 don't have CC Only search capabilities, they are pretty limited when it comes to discovering new systems like the 396/996 when it comes to search modes.

Note: Not looking for a target date, just something about how it's going.

Last edited:

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Because they Can't give a target date. If they gave a date and it passed then all hell would break loose yet again. Coming soon is vague and allows leeway for their people to work on the problem. If they said say AUGUST 23, 2014 and it came to Aug 24th and it wasn't out what would that do? It comes down to they really don't know when it will be out. If Paul says he doesn't know people jump all over him, if he says nothing people jump on his silence. He isn't doing the work and he gets no update on when or if it will be released so I am surprised and relieved that he at least lets us know something.

Exactly. Well said.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Wireless adds a WHOLE LOT OF BAGGAGE to any connectivity issue. PLUS, I think MANY here would be happier with a wired solution, but having both options would really be a better solution and wireless was originally promised.

I'd be very happy with hardwired ethernet dongle support.
Wireless is poor here at home and not allowed at all at work so an ethernet dongle would be very welcome.
Of course keep the wireless dongle support for those that need wireless but add 802.11A/AN support. The 2.4 GHz band is so crowded here that it is pretty useless (apartment complex).

I may use some of the wireless features available via smartphone but I think I'd love to see a working desktop app that would allow for desktop control and whatever else the wireless dongle was to offer but via a wired ethernet dongle.

Adding code for the common chipset hardwired ethernet dongles should not be hard in addition to the wireless dongle they are trying to get working for those that need/want wireless.
I know of several that sell hardwired ethernet based usb dongles based on some of the common chipsets like realtek. I'd think those could be added in fairly easy. Some offered native support in Win XP for the older USB1.1 dongles. I think I needed a driver when the USB2.0 ethernet dongles came out but most are now supported natively in Win7.

I agree that hardwired dongle support would be very welcome.

JamesO

I'd be very happy with hardwired ethernet dongle support..

I agree that hardwired dongle support would be very welcome.

Finally someone that UNDERSTANDS how the world should work!

Learn to walk before you run.

Understand that Wireless is a PITA and it takes 18-24 months for the vendors to get their wireless devices properly supported, heck some NEVER get them properly supported, they just move on to the next hardware version!

I also agree that either a PC based app would also be a nice feature and/or 3rd party software suppliers that could connect to the scanner over the WAN/LAN to remote control and/or listen would be a great feature.

BUT it all starts with CONNECTIVITY. We have basic connectivity even with the wireless dongle at the moment, the scanner can obtain and IP address from a local network, this is at least some level of progress.

Maybe I should start a thread for hardwired USB dongle support and have everyone report in that supports it? Kind of testing the waters, BUT I really think the problem is the non networking types totally do not understand how useful and flexible a hardwired solution can be. As I mentioned, for under $50 and I have not really bottom fed to see how low I could go, I can hang a single box on the end of the hardwired dongle that I can easily configure either as a router or a client. Then the App would not even need to be used in AdHoc mode, it would just connect to either the home network or the router in a mobile configuration. And as I stated, with this box you have diversity antennas, antenna connectors, adjustable transmit power, adjustable WiFi channels, many encryption options and so on.

Heck, I have even made suggestions on how to make the 536HP able to power up and down remotely in a remotely mounted mobile installation where the scanner would properly write to the SD card and it would not required to be manually turned on each time the vehicle is started.

I know people are listening, but nobody is commenting!

But who is to believe some lowly scanner listeners, the vendor knows far more than we do about these things?

durangoGreg

A wired solution does nothing for me.

I want/need the WiFI connectivity so that I can use my phone as remote head in my vehicle. There is no where to mount the behemoth BCD536HP in my truck except under my rear seat. I have a clean power supply there and wiring for external antenna's there, and I have my Icom HF Radio there.

I have no desire to route a wire up to the front cab and have to keep my iPhone tethered to a scanner.

By having a Siren app running on my iPhone and putting the 536 in an adhoc wifi mode I was planning on having a really nice remote head and audio supplied to my truck audio system.

So much for that idea since Uniden / UPMan can't even tell me if Siren and WiFi will be available in 3 months, 6 months, 1 year, or ever. I am betting that Uniden won't have this app and/or WiFi ready in less than a year, otherwise they would be able to supply a target date now.

JamesO

A wired solution does nothing for me.

I want/need the WiFI connectivity so that I can use my phone as remote head in my vehicle. There is no where to mount the behemoth BCD536HP in my truck except under my rear seat. I have a clean power supply there and wiring for external antenna's there, and I have my Icom HF Radio there.

I have no desire to route a wire up to the front cab and have to keep my iPhone tethered to a scanner.

By having a Siren app running on my iPhone and putting the 536 in an adhoc wifi mode I was planning on having a really nice remote head and audio supplied to my truck audio system.

So much for that idea since Uniden / UPMan can't even tell me if Siren and WiFi will be available in 3 months, 6 months, 1 year, or ever. I am betting that Uniden won't have this app and/or WiFi ready in less than a year, otherwise they would be able to supply a target date now.

You guys do not get it. A wired solution should be something that Uniden could have working in a few weeks, assuming the App is not the delay.

I am not advocating dropping the WiFi, just do what should have been done in the beginning. Release a hardwired solution then add the WiFi when it was working.

For you mobile application a wired solution would work just fine. Add a cheap, old, WiFi router that supports 12 Volts and you do not even use your phone in AdHoc mode, connect like you would at home.

Then the router gives you the ability if it has diversity antennas and/or antenna connectors to add antenna(s) to give your WiFi more range if you pull up on an incident and need to leave the truck.

Then in 18 months when Uniden gets their 3rd party dongle working you can remove the router from your trunk or you will probably leave it because it works and works better than the dongle would anyway.

Uniden also needs to use the 3rd wire on the mobile power cord as an ignition sense wire. They should be able to tweak the firmware so the scanner can power up and down properly in a mobile environment and write changes and recordings to the SD card. They could also use the user adjustable shut down delay so the scanner will stay running when the vehicle is shut down.

jdobbs2001

Pathetic Uniden!

They are out of stock sold out. so no need to update the description :)

VE3RADIO

Since your giving out updates, what's the status of the Analyzer feature? This is a fair question seeing the Analyzer has nothing to do with the Siren App development or the Wi-Fi dongle problems, also it effects both the 436 & 536. Seeing the x36 don't have CC Only search capabilities, they are pretty limited when it comes to discovering new systems like the 396/996 when it comes to search modes.

Note: Not looking for a target date, just something about how it's going.

The silence is deafening! With this type of attitude from Uniden there may very well be a lawsuit. Uniden must think they are top dog and do not need to explain their actions.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
The silence is deafening! With this type of attitude from Uniden there may very well be a lawsuit. Uniden must think they are top dog and do not need to explain their actions.

Or they are simply telling what they know...which, as Paul has shared, is that they are working on it...

VE3RADIO

Or they are simply telling what they know...which, as Paul has shared, is that they are working on it...

I just want what I effin paid for... give me what I paid the extra 100 dollar for and I will shut my pie hole.. if you cant do that then give me a 100 dollar refund.. again..then I will shut up.. do neither of those things and I will whine and ***** like a little girl until I get what is owed to me... not to mention tell everyone I know about how Uniden sold me something that does not do what is advertised.

further...

If you believe for a minute.. or even for a second that Uniden is telling us all they know then I have some swamp land in Florida with an excellent view to sell you.

Some of you guys here are so blind its scary.. either that or you have your nose so far up Paul's azz that your afraid to say anything that will remove you from his nice list.

Status
Not open for further replies.