Siren app with iPhone/iPad and android

Status
Not open for further replies.

ve3zo

A friend of mine just purchased a 536. Radio and wifi dongle firmwares are up to date.

The issue is with the siren app. The app will not connect to the scanner using his iPhone and iPad. However on the same network the siren app will work on my Samsung s7.
The app opens on the iphone and iPad and asks for the ip address. The correct ip is entered the app remains open however no scanner information is displayed..in infrastructure mode .

Any suggestions would be appreciated

If this issue has been posted before, please direct me to the thread

thank you

KR3LC

Premium Subscriber
Sorry I have no suggestion but wanted to at least say it should work as I have used it on both Android and iOS.

Steve2003

Are you trying to connect both devices at the same time? Could the app still be running in the background on one of your devices? I'm fairly certain the 536 only allows one connection over wifi at a time. I would try this:

1. Completely close the app on the device you were previously connecting with.
2. Power-cycle the 536
3. Try connecting on the other device

Also, if you are in infrastructure mode the scanner will obtain it's IP address via DHCP which means that it can change over time.

I would make sure the IP hasn't changed: Menu => Wi-Fi Setup => Show Wi-Fi Information

(Since I can't set a static IP address on my 536 in infrastructure mode I configured a DHCP reservation on my router so the MAC address for my 536 is always assigned the same IP).

ve3zo

No one device at a time..
Wifi address on device matches the scanner..
Scanner was turned off..siren was uninstalled then re-installed.
And still no connection...like I mentioned it worked on my android phone.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

coolderb

No one device at a time..
Wifi address on device matches the scanner..
Scanner was turned off..siren was uninstalled then re-installed.
And still no connection...like I mentioned it worked on my android phone.

Did you try power cycling the Android device? Sometimes Android apps. remain running in the background and do not close properly.

I have the Siren app. running on both my iphone and ipad. I can switch between them with no problems. Sometimes after launching I have to occasionally go to settings,connection and re-click the IP Address window to make it reconnect.

ve3zo

Did you try power cycling the Android device? Sometimes Android apps. remain running in the background and do not close properly.

I have the Siren app. running on both my iphone and ipad. I can switch between them with no problems. Sometimes after launching I have to occasionally go to settings,connection and re-click the IP Address window to make it reconnect.
It works on the android device...it doesn't work with the iPhone or iPad.

They were both power cycled and the app was removed and reinstalled.

Still no connection

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Just to confirm, are the iPhone and iPads connected to the router "affiliated" with the scanner (as in going through the Settings menu on the iPhone/iPad)?

I've not experimented with an Android/Apple situation where both devices are attempting to connect to the scanner. I have simultaneously used an iPhone and iPad, however audio goes only to one device. I see the display function for both and can use either/or to control the scanner.

What happens if you try connecting Android/Apple with Access Point mode?

ve3zo

Just to confirm, are the iPhone and iPads connected to the router "affiliated" with the scanner (as in going through the Settings menu on the iPhone/iPad)? YES

I've not experimented with an Android/Apple situation where both devices are attempting to connect to the scanner. I have simultaneously used an iPhone and iPad, however audio goes only to one device. I see the display function for both and can use either/or to control the scanner.

The app was only opened on one device at at time.

What happens if you try connecting Android/Apple with Access Point mode?
Does not work with i-devices..due to time constraints never tried with Android device.

ve3zo

Problem solved..started from scratch..removed and reinstalled the siren app on the iphone and iPad and reset the wifi on the 536.

KF4CEB

Premium Subscriber
Remote Connection

I just want to verify something before I purchase the scanner. Is the Siren App now working from outside the home network? Will I be able to have the scanner connected to my router at home and be able to listen through the app from anywhere else outside of my home?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I just want to verify something before I purchase the scanner. Is the Siren App now working from outside the home network? Will I be able to have the scanner connected to my router at home and be able to listen through the app from anywhere else outside of my home?

That's a feature Uniden has said would occur, but they haven't rolled it out yet.

Some "high tech" folks have been able to work something out. If you look around, you'll see how they did it.

(Me I'm waiting for the Uniden "solution" for this.)

Jeremy429

When using this app on your phone, can you remote control your scanner? So if I hear a certain department, and want to make sure I hear the whole conversation. Would I be able to "pause" or "hold" on that particular talkgroup?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
To "hold" on a Channel, press the label for the channel name on your device's screen. You will see it turn orange and the word "HOLD" appears. Press it again to resume scanning.

The same is true to hold on a System or hold on a Department.

There are two ways of remotely connecting an iPhone to a Scanner. Infrastructure is where the scanner connects to a local wifi network. The wifi router acts "sort of" like a repeater. Your "remote connection" range is limited to the range of the wifi network.

The other way is called "Access Point" where the iPhone "connects" directly to the scanner. That's usually used when a wifi network isn't available, such as in a vehicle. The "remote connection" range is pretty limited - the iPhone has to be pretty close to the vehicle (best I got was ten feet).

Status
Not open for further replies.