Site 23 Being St George?

Status
Not open for further replies.

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
I don't know who may have submitted that particular info, but I would question the validity of that info at this time. I was in St george and did a search in the 800 MHZ band while I was there and I did not find a UCAN systems south of Richfield and especailly in St. George. Tim, when you head this way go ahead and program that info entered in the DB, then check to see what the 396 says about the SID # this will confirm or deny the existance of this system or tell us what system it is. (If it's the EDACS System from Nevada the Site would be Site 12 and not listed under 7202 but a different SID#) If it is this system them we can take the ? out of it. But the low site # tells me its not quite right.

qlajlu

Silent Key
enosjones said:
...the low site # tells me its not quite right.
I gotta go with Enos on this one. That is an awful low site number for being in St. George, although I think something is happening down in the south part of the state from what I heard the UCAN Engineers talking about yesterday on their TG.

I ran a search using the RR Db search engine on 867.03750 MHz (the supposed CC on this site) and it did not return a match with anything in Southern Utah. I don't know if that search engine searches the actual FCC files or not.

bneilson

Premium Subscriber
I copied the UCAN techs talking about coverage testing over the weekend in St George.

Looking that the FCC ULS I don't see anything licenses so maybe they are just testing for new sites and are using an old site number...

Utah_Viper

Do you think maybe they have a Mobile Repeater that they may be setting up for spring break? I know it has been mentioned before that since most agencies have gotten rid of they old radios they have had problems with these type large multi agency events.

A few things to determine. First does UCAN have any Mobile Repeaters? Second, if this is the case what TG's will they use? finally third, Will that repeater be independent or linked to the system up here somehow, and if so can we monitor it =)

qlajlu

Silent Key
Well, that explains what I heard on Saturday then. I thought maybe I was dreaming, but one of the UCAN techs was on their regular TG (4096) and was telling the other techs that he was just crossing the bridge outside La Verkin heading towards Hurricane. I was copying that traffic from Salt Lake site 003.

Now that is COVERAGE!

Or do I need to get my little tin hat out again?

gadgetmikey

Site 23 was listed as Quarry Mountain and I read somewhere that they changed and made a simulcast of the 4 sites in Summit and Wasatch counties. That could have made site 23 free to be used elsewhere.

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
To further confuse the issue, When I was up at Park City a couple weekends ago, my PRO-97 locked onto a control channel at 866.9375. It showed sys 7202. I used the control channel feature and it showed the following as being part of that site: 859.2125, 858.2125, 858.925, 868.925, and 854.9875. Again, this was sitting in a parking lot in Park City with Rubber Duck 800 Mhz antenna. I didn't have trunker with me at the time.

qlajlu

Silent Key
gldavis said:
To further confuse the issue, ...I used the control channel feature and it showed the following as being part of that site: 859.2125, 858.2125, 858.925, 868.925, and 854.9875...
That is interesting.

I ran a search on each one of those frequencies using the search engines in the RR Database and this is what I found:

The CC, 866.9375 is licensed to UCAN in Park City and Upton in Summit County, Heber City in Wasatch County, and Orem in Utah County.

859.2125 is licensed to the Nevada Shared Radio System with a site in Utah. The Db shows a St. George site in the Nevada Db with a site just west of Ivins, Utah on Utah Hill.

858.2125 is also licensed to the Nevada Shared Radio System.

858.9250 shows no record in the RR Db.

868.9250 is licensed to UCAN in Layton, Magna, Park City, Tooele, Orem, and Heber City.

854.9875 is licensed to the Nevada Shared Radio System.​

So someone tell me...WHAT IS GOING ON?

LGLHOOK

I did find this info for the St. George area:

WQCX411 Utah Hill- 27.3 KM WNW OS St. George, Utah

WQEE245- 2 miles south of St. George, Utah

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
LGLHOOK said:
For mine or qlajlu's frequencies above? I pulled mine off the FCC website.

Yours, the 866.0125, 866.5125, 867.0125, 867.5125, and 868.0125 are the 5 Nat Tac Frequencies. One is assigned to each area from what I seen in the FCC lists.

As Far as qlajlu's....... I think the FCC don't always keep up or somethings wrong. The CC for Ford Ridge has been active for 2 years, but the FCC didn't show a callsign til about 6 months ago or so. But the stuff thats listed for Carbon/Emery areas that are in the FCC lists don't all work or aren't in use at this time. In other words "Who knows what the FCC is up too".

fastattackus

Remember in that stuff someone found on the UCAN website, it listed repeaters all the way through utah down to St. George. KSL even did a story on it where a disptacher in the State of Utah EOC was talking on the radio to a disptacher in St. George. But it's not a trunked system set up with a control channel. It's a repeater system that monitors a specific frequency like NAT 5 or ITAC 5 or whatever the new names are. Any UCAN radio is supposed to be able to access these repeaters throughout the state as it travels, (if they know which channel to switch to on their radio) and most but not all of the repeaters are to be monitored at a designated public safety center i.e. Price, St. George, Little Sahara ranger station etc.

bneilson

Premium Subscriber
The State EOC has several dispatch terminals that are connected to the State's microwave network and can connect to just about any Public Safety radio system in the state.

With just a click of the mouse they are listening to the agency of choice (such as St. George). Just as easily they can press the PTT and talk, just like they are local in the area. This same interface is used to get into UCAN only it is a local connection here in SLCo.

The trick is having the agency's system linked into the Microwave network. The dispatch terminals are not connected to coax and are not radios. They are specialized computers with microphones and a network connection. The software allows them to bring up "channels" which could be specific frequencies or talk groups.

This is the same type of unit they have. I cant recall the model number but they look just like this one...

Attachments

• screen.jpg
    screen.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 179

Junior1970

Last fall I was at an event in the St. George area and there were members of the Santa Clara Fire Department there to show off their engine and assist in case they were needed (which they were unfortunately or fortunately if you were the individual needing assistance.)
I was speaking to one of the firefighters and he was explaining to me, after he found out that I was from "up north" due to our conversation, that there were going to be major radio changes to the St. George area this year. This would all make sense due to the fact that there is now an active site in the region (my guess its atop Utah Hill for it covers the entire St. George/Washington/Hurricane area) and with the multiple agencies down there the financial basis to link up with UCAN would make sense.
Washington County is dispatched, in its entirety, by St. George City consisting of the S.O., SGPD and Fire, Washington PD/FD, Santa Clara DPS, Ivins DPS, Hurricane PD/FD, Springdale PD, LaVerkin PD, Leeds PD/FD, Dammerron Valley Fire, & those are just the ones that I can think of at the moment.

Sounds like many monitoring trips to Dixie are going to be in the near future.

gadgetmikey

It appears as though this site made it into the RR database before the FCC database.

I was looking today and now they show a St. George license. WQIL712

It shows 4 additional channels: 866.6000 867.2750 868.1875 868.6125

Junior1970

gadgetmikey said:
It appears as though this site made it into the RR database before the FCC database.

One thing I have learned about monitoring UCAN since they began is that just because a frequency is licensed to a particular site doesn't mean that it's written in stone that it will be used there. Take a look a the RR database of voice and data freqs for the sites and a vast majority don't even come close to what are licensed to the sites on the FCC database. I believe it's perfectly legal for the freqs are legally licensed to UCAN and they can use them however they choose. My guess is that with so many sites in close proximity to others and with interfearence issues being a possibility they elect to use whatever will work best with a particular site, regardless of licensing.
The only accurate way we in the monitoring spectrum can get those sites with accurate voice and data is the Trunker programs and godd old fashioned monitoring.

bneilson

Premium Subscriber
gadgetmikey said:

Nice catch!

kf7yn

I am in St George. UCAN does indeed have a site in operation here. I went out and tracked it's location. It is on the ridge south of town at exit 4 just east of I-15 with all the comm towers right where the FCC records say it is (2 miles south of St George).

UHP TOC North 19712 and TOC South 19744 are active now. Looks pretty obvious the goal is to extend UHP (and others) statewide ability. I really doubt it's a temporary thing. I come here several times a year down here so I'll be listening.

Status
Not open for further replies.