Site locations and affilated agencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

K7TKR

Premium Subscriber
Morning,

Since I only travel though the state and don't live here, I deceided to work up an Excel work sheet of tower sites and locations. My thinking is that it would be easier to work up a 996 quick key list knowing what counties I would be rolling through without having to be constantly looking at the site map and figureing it out.

So, a question. Would it be correct to assume that if a tower is in county X that those agencies in that county would also be on that tower (assuming that said agencies are even subscribers)?

At this posting, I have I25 from the NM line to denver and then out to US287 to the KS and OK lines. I also have US160 from Walsenburg to the 4 corners area.

Thanks,

MArk

NorthCOVideo

Premium Subscriber
Yes and no, many of the towers in a large area ( 3-4 counties or more ) will pick up on agencies in that large area. You can program it that way, but you don't have to. Someone will have a better answer than that, but thats my basic understanding.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Mark, Have you considered using the gps features of the 996T? There have been previous threads here and many of us have found that to be pretty helpful, especially in rural parts of the state.

Jim<

K7TKR

Premium Subscriber
jimmnn said:
Mark, Have you considered using the gps features of the 996T? There have been previous threads here and many of us have found that to be pretty helpful, especially in rural parts of the state.

Jim<

Yes I have and yes I did, using my Garmin76CS. And I gotta admit that is a pretty cool feature. But the problem still remains that one needs to know what towers to monitor. As I have unfortantly realized what most of you guys already know-not every tower carries everything-especially here in the Denver metro area. I have started building an excel worksheet with tower number, name, counties served and the CSP divison that serves that county-and it seems to be working unitl, and again, I started to do the Denver metro area. As it is, I currently have my scanner programmed by county which I means I have five seperate county systems for the denver metor area with around at least 10 tower sites for each system-probably means I'm missing stuff.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
K7TKR said:
Yes I have and yes I did, using my Garmin76CS. And I gotta admit that is a pretty cool feature. But the problem still remains that one needs to know what towers to monitor. As I have unfortantly realized what most of you guys already know-not every tower carries everything-especially here in the Denver metro area. I have started building an excel worksheet with tower number, name, counties served and the CSP divison that serves that county-and it seems to be working unitl, and again, I started to do the Denver metro area. As it is, I currently have my scanner programmed by county which I means I have five seperate county systems for the denver metor area with around at least 10 tower sites for each system-probably means I'm missing stuff.

There was some long discussion at today's scanner meeting that it might be a really helpful addition, although very time consuming, to add an additional column next to the TG listed in the database that would be best site to listen to that agency on.

For example

1401 Jeffco SO Site 108.

While this would not be the only site you can hear TG 1401 it would be our recommendation as a primary site.

Is this what folks are looking for and would it be helpful?

Appears many of us already have this information in spread sheets and the thread (now sticky) on here about affliations is addressing the same issue.

As I am sure you are fast discovering in the metro area especially sites located in a specific county may not often be the preferred site to monitor that county.

Remember also when you talk about CSP troops that many of the troops channels are patched together as they are inbound to Denver dispatch center. 6B > 6A and 6C for example or 3B to 1A. etc.

Jim<

MikeyB

jimmnn said:
For example

1401 Jeffco SO Site 108.

While this would not be the only site you can hear TG 1401 it would be our recommendation as a primary site.

Jim<

I like that idea, but don't think we should limit it to just a primary site like that, because not everybody can hear all sites, so the primary definition would be very subjective. I think it would be better to list all of the sites that the agency can be heard on all of the time and let people see which site is strongest for them. There's really no reason that 1401 would be better on Lookout than on Riley, except for coverage, which depends on where people live.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
We had a long discussion about this very issue Mike and while I agree I also feel in the metro area that list might be 10 or 15 CC's for some agencies and we thought maybe a good start for new listeners especially would be a "best" CC. But maybe I could be convinced for the need for a primary and secondary in the urban areas.

and it becomes almost a mute point in most other areas of the state where you only have a few CC's to listen to and all agencies using DTRS in those areas use those CC's.

Jim<

K7TKR

Premium Subscriber
jimmnn said:
We had a long discussion about this very issue Mike and while I agree I also feel in the metro area that list might be 10 or 15 CC's for some agencies and we thought maybe a good start for new listeners especially would be a "best" CC. But maybe I could be convinced for the need for a primary and secondary in the urban areas.

and it becomes almost a mute point in most other areas of the state where you only have a few CC's to listen to and all agencies using DTRS in those areas use those CC's.

Jim<

Maybe it could be done ranking from top to bottem the best sites to monitor. I think for state systems like Colorado and now Ohio and I think Indiana, this is mght be the best way to to do it. Especially if one is new to the area or just passing through. Start with the towers that serve the counties along major travel areas first, like the I25 and I70 corridors. For example, there are three sites near Trinidad along I25 from starting from Raton Pass for Las Animas county that appear to carry traffic for the all the groups-CSP, LACOSO etc till one hits Huerfano county then we're down to two sites. One needs to have three sites entered in order to cover the Distance of I25 from the NM line to the Huerfano county line.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Two of those Trinidad area sites are limited coverage and not good for I-25 that's where you would want to select the Raton Pass site itself.

Then all you need headed North is Walensburg, found Colorado City covers you up to Southern Pueblo, Pueblo site, then it's onto Cheyenne Mtn CC will take you to Monument Hill. so only a few for many miles of I-25 for example.

Jim<

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.