Site Locations

Status
Not open for further replies.

W0RS

Premium Subscriber
I have a Whistler TRX-2 installed in my vehicle. I have it programed for P25 digital on 700mhz and VHF frequencies. I have all the sites selected. On many of the 700mhz sites, I am receiving from some distance away, as much as 200 miles. At some of these sites I am hearing r2d2 audio which tells me that I just could be hearing those locations. I have shut off those locations with just two of the sites activated on 700.

My question, should the scanner just lock on those sites that have the strongest signal, it would seem to me the scanner would lock on to a signal located 1 mile from me rather then 200 miles away?

Seems that shutting off sites is contrary to what I should be doing....
I don't believe I have been experiencing any conditions of ducting or anything like that.

Ideas or suggestions?

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
The scanner is constantly scanning for any transmissions on the sites, all of them, it does not lock onto one strong site. This can, depending on the size of the system, seriously slow down the scan rate causing missed transmissions.

The other thing to be aware of is if two sites (one near one far) have the same frequency, which does happen, the scanner may be displaying the wrong tower/site name because of this making you think it is 200 miles away when it isn't.

W0RS

Premium Subscriber
The scanner is constantly scanning for any transmissions on the sites, all of them, it does not lock onto one strong site. This can, depending on the size of the system, seriously slow down the scan rate causing missed transmissions.

The other thing to be aware of is if two sites (one near one far) have the same frequency, which does happen, the scanner may be displaying the wrong tower/site name because of this making you think it is 200 miles away when it isn't.
You are probably correct...I will do some cross reference of the site locations.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I agree with frequencies being re-used at different sites, that are well separated. Frequencies have to be re-used for efficiency purposes.

It is "best practices" to limit scanning to sites that are, generally, no more than 30 miles away.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
You are probably correct...I will do some cross reference of the site locations.

I have this issue on my statewide system here. I have one scanlist with all sites which I use when traveling through the state, then I have a separate scanlist for each of my local towers for when I'm at home.

For the local site scanlists, I had to duplicate the system in EZ Scan (though you can manually enter the site as well), lockout the other sites I didn't want, and import the TGs for each duplicate site scanlist. EZ Scan will not do an update for duplicate sites, so if there are changes to the site or new TGs you must manually enter them.

Status
Not open for further replies.