Site Question!

Status
Not open for further replies.

beerad4

Hi!
Programming my SDS-100, and curious if it is possible to program multiple sites (with control channels) within the same county-

also, is it necessary to program all the control
Channels, or just primary and secondary?

thanks

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hi!
Programming my SDS-100, and curious if it is possible to program multiple sites (with control channels) within the same county-
Sure. The trunked system in a city, county, or region may have a number of sites associated with it in a specific area. Each site needs to be programmed individually; you can't dump all the control channels into a single site. But they can all be attached, individually, to the system.
1604199405171.png

also, is it necessary to program all the control
Channels, or just primary and secondary?
For most systems (P25 & Motorola Type II), all you really need are the primary and alternate control channel frequencies.

However, for EDACS, LTR, DMR (MotoTRBO), & NXDN systems, you do need all the site frequencies, with their correct LCN mumber.

For P25 systems sold by Harris/L3, you do need all the channels, as they rotate control frequencies more often, and any frequency may be used as a control channel at some time or another.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Assuming all of the sites are associated with the same system. (You may have some sites that are associated with the ABC System in the county and sites in the same county associated with a completely different system, the XYZ system.)

sonm10

Central MN Monitor
Premium Subscriber
I would advise against this - most sites within a county have mostly the same affliated traffic (exception for local car to car channels) I would only program ONE site for one county, unless you like me and live near the intersection of four counties. Then you would program another site for the adjacent county(s). It takes longer to scan through each site (1.5 seconds each). You end up missing traffic scanning too many sites.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I would advise against this - most sites within a county have mostly the same affliated traffic (exception for local car to car channels) I would only program ONE site for one county, unless you like me and live near the intersection of four counties. Then you would program another site for the adjacent county(s). It takes longer to scan through each site (1.5 seconds each). You end up missing traffic scanning too many sites.

I still suggest programming each site in a county, at least in the beginning, just to see what is happening with the system. Once one gathers an idea of what is carried on which site, he can cull the sites accordingly.

Just down the road from you in Hennepin County is exactly why. There is the Minneapolis City Center site, the Minneapolis N/S site, the Hennepin East and Hennepin West sites. Each of these sites carries different talkgroups. Thus if you program the Minneapolis PD talkgroups and only program the Hennepin West site, you will rarely, if ever, hear MPD.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Program all of the sites you can actually receive. The site traffic is usually not the same, because systems are designed to match site coverage to user location as closely as possible. Some talkgroups will be carried on every site, but there will be some talkgroups you'll only hear on one site.

The only way to know is to listen to everything for a while, and log traffic by site. ProScan is particularly useful for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.