• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Site Trunking and duplicate Control Channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
As I slowly start to build a codeplug for Virginia STARS system I am wondering if I would need site trunking enabled. Though this next question may say I should not. The 'help' on 'site trunking' in the PPS is vague to say the least.

As I enter various site control channels, there are numerous duplicate frequencies used as control channels across the state. If I delete the duplicates and set the RFSS and SYSID to wildcards (in the P25 Trunking System Site List window) will the receiver pick up that channel if it is not associated with the site?

Basically I am attempting to limit the number of control channels that need to be scanned. The chances of locking onto a distant CC are pretty remote.

Maybe a better question would be this. If I enter only the frequencies used as control channels into a single 'alias' with the RFSS and SYSID set as wildcards will it work? This would limit the number of CC's and sites (CC's in the system is close to 150 and there are around 70 sites).

I really cannot test this until I get my G3 so any input would be greatly appreciated. Even if it is not Virginia STARS specific (Ohio's MARC and NC VIPER jump to mind).

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Basically I am attempting to limit the number of control channels that need to be scanned. The chances of locking onto a distant CC are pretty remote.
Clicking on the site names in the RR database brings up a map showing the site coverage area. There's no point to programming sites whose range ring places you outside the coverage area. I use this as a criteria for not only my G5, but my scanners as well. Remember that the G-series locks on to the strongest site within each knob position and ignores all else.

Webodisk

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
I eliminated all the duplicated frequencies, it locks onto the site number, I have traveled across va and have been in coverage, I have a code plus if you pm me an email you can look at and see if you want to use it

LEH

Premium Subscriber
I eliminated all the duplicated frequencies, it locks onto the site number, I have traveled across va and have been in coverage, I have a code plus if you pm me an email you can look at and see if you want to use it
Mike,

Thanks that is what I thought would happen, I sent you an IM with my email. I'll compare it with what I was thinking of doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.