Site Trunking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

n5bew1

Hey I have a question for all you trunking experts two or three times lately on the State DPS system I have heard troopers say their radios were site trunking and they couldn't get out at that time. What's going on? Thanks
Ken

seamusg

n5bew1 said:
Hey I have a question for all you trunking experts two or three times lately on the State DPS system I have heard troopers say their radios were site trunking and they couldn't get out at that time. What's going on? Thanks
Ken
It means the site lost com with the main system and is working on it's own. ie. They cannot communicate with someone on another site or smothly move between sites. That happens when a site looses com with it's neighbors.

DaveH

Site trunking as I understand applies to SmartZone systems is where a
site is disconnected from the "zone controller" and therefore not part of
the network. It can operate autonomously, but that's about it.

Dave

car2back

From my understanding, the smartzone sites are linked by a T1 and if that connection goes down they go on "site trunking". The Preston site does this alot; if we have units on the Preston site I can switch to it manually and speak/hear them but then switch to another site to communicate with everyone on the Tulsa or Bristow sites.

seamusg

phil_smith said:
From my understanding, the smartzone sites are linked by a T1 and if that connection goes down they go on "site trunking". The Preston site does this alot; if we have units on the Preston site I can switch to it manually and speak/hear them but then switch to another site to communicate with everyone on the Tulsa or Bristow sites.
We had a problem like this here a little while ago, only thing is that all sites are linked by microwave and one site lost it's microwave, but there is no ability to pick a site - you get the site that's in the area of your radio. The radio's on that site could talk to each other but could not talk to a radio on another site - a lot of them could not talk to dispatch - the switching between sites on a large multi site system not designed to be manual but by majic. My understanding is that the ability to switch is switching systems not sites within a system.

car2back

here, only dispatch can choose a site manually, units just allocate automatically.

We have 3 sites that cover our county, but it's only like every 2 or 3 months one will go down for a couple hours untill they can get techs out there.

seamusg

phil_smith said:
here, only dispatch can choose a site manually, units just allocate automatically.

We have 3 sites that cover our county, but it's only like every 2 or 3 months one will go down for a couple hours untill they can get techs out there.
If a site goes isolated how can dispatch access it??

car2back

Dispatch is not out of range of it; Only the sites are connected to each other via T1 our console isn't, it still allocates over the air.

seamusg

phil_smith said:
Dispatch is not out of range of it, and we are not connected via T1, the sites are connected to each other. our console still allocates over the air.
You must have many local dispatches or a small syatem.

SECOEMS

Site Trunking

In Colorado our Mobile Radios can manually choose the tower. somewhat. we use mobile XTL-5000s and if you hit the H/L button on ours it will show the tower ID and the RSSI. if you Hold the button it will Scan for Towers and select the first one it comes to it will show you the ID and if you hold the H/L button again it will search for another tower.. This is only useful when you are in site trunking. the radios do automatically switch.. that is the advantage of a smart zone. howerver i dont know about the console being able to change towers.. i would agree with the post earlier it must be a small area or a heck of a base antenna.. ?? i dont know. because the console radios would have to be in range of the tower to "Talk" to it. Just my two cents. :)

KD5WLX

SECOEMS,

We're in Oklahoma, where the terrain looks more like a pancake than a mountain. There's a 2m repeater on a 200' tower near me that I can work for over 100 miles in all directions with a mobile.

The Sapulpa dispatch console can hit Bristow and Preston because that's tower to tower, and while they aren't 200', neither are any of the hills, and they're all in a 50 mile circle. But a mobile with an antenna 5' up won't have near the range, and can actually be "between" towers/sites if the conditions are just right (or rather, just "wrong", from the users point of view).

Status
Not open for further replies.