BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Sites Scanned During Holds

Status
Not open for further replies.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Department have nothing to do with sites, it's only a group of talk groups.

You can set a quick key for each site and I believe you have those somehow common with your department/talk group quick keys that confuses you when you turn them on and off. Try deleting the QKs for the sites in your system, there's normally no need for them, and it will become much easier and understandable to you.

/Ubbe

I agree mostly in the "Departments" are clusters of talkgroup IDs (trunked systems). But with respect to Quick Keys, sites are at the Department level.

I usually use Department Quick Keys 0-5 for Fire, Police, EMS, State Police and Emergency Management, regardless of a specific system. That's so there is a common means of Quick Key layout.

Site Quick Keys are assigned 61 on upward.

So when I was describing what I experienced, I turned of Department Quick Key 61 which was associated with a site, meaning that the site should not be monitored. However, when I did a Channel Hold, the site that was associated with DQK 61 was monitored (but only that site and not the three others).

Ubbe

Jonwienke had it correct when it comes to site hold, you have to use func + dept to hold on to a site.

Those quick keys only enable and disable sites but if the scanner sits on system frequency that haven't got any signal, the departments you want to monitor doesn't work and I believe that it is a fail safe function built in to avoid the dreaded "nothing to scan" issue. If the fail safe wheren't there it should have worked as you wanted it to with the quick keys.

So, if you really want to hold on to a site frequency that have no reception in your scanner, you'll have to use func +dept and then scroll to the site.

I believe sites are not related to departments, if you not force it by your own programming going against Unidens intentions.

/Ubbe

Last edited:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
There is no fixed correlation between sites and talkgroups, so there is no fixed correlation between sites and departments either.

Any talkgroup can be broadcast on any frequency from any site at any time, unless the system engineers place a limit to restrict a talkgroup to a specific site or set of sites. But they aren't going to tell you if they do, and the limit can be altered or removed at any time without any notice.

So if you hold on a department (which is just a group of talkgroups), there is no reason to expect that hold to alter the list of sites the scanner monitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.