Sites, Talkgroups and Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

ltcpro

Premium Subscriber
Hello radio gods!

I have a rather simple question. I am scanning a Trunked System with multiple sites and numerous talk groups to stay tuned into my fire dispatch as I am a volunteer. When I am at work there is a site that is located 1/2 mile from my office but whenever I try to use that site and HOLD on our dispatch channel I get a "Finding Control Channel..." message. Of course that means I do not have the right control channel for that talkgroup to read on the site. Now my question is this...

Do all sites in a trunked system broadcast all the talkgroups? Or can only some talkgroups get broadcasted over the site?

Our department runs ambulances on Tybee Island where I work, so I feel like I should be able to connect to the site for the fire dispatch and medic channels but I seem to have have bad control channels...

Any help you can provide to help me get connected would be greatly appreciated!

The System info is below:
Chatham County/Effingham County Trunking System, Various, Georgia - Scanner Frequencies

troymail

Silent Key
Hello radio gods!

I have a rather simple question. I am scanning a Trunked System with multiple sites and numerous talk groups to stay tuned into my fire dispatch as I am a volunteer. When I am at work there is a site that is located 1/2 mile from my office but whenever I try to use that site and HOLD on our dispatch channel I get a "Finding Control Channel..." message. Of course that means I do not have the right control channel for that talkgroup to read on the site. Now my question is this...

Do all sites in a trunked system broadcast all the talkgroups? Or can only some talkgroups get broadcasted over the site?
As with many things - it depends on how the system is configured and what users are "affiliating" with which sites.

Our department runs ambulances on Tybee Island where I work, so I feel like I should be able to connect to the site for the fire dispatch and medic channels but I seem to have have bad control channels...

Chatham County/Effingham County Trunking System, Various, Georgia - Scanner Frequencies

Which site are you having trouble locking on to? Which model radio do you have and how did you program it?

The frequencies listed for the Tybee Island site seem to match the FCC license. The only other thing that jumps out to me is that this is a rebanded system which "potentially" requires special handling...

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager

The big question is how far away is the site you are trying to listen to? That message occurs when the scanner can't find the control channel.

ltcpro

Premium Subscriber
Hi Troy,

Thanks for taking the time to try to assist me. I figured as much that it can be configured a number of ways. I have a Uniden Bearcat 346XTC. I programmed it with FreeScan utilizing the Radio Reference database. I am having issues connecting to the Tybee Island site. I have all of the control channel frequencies listed for the Tybee Island site programmed properly but am unable to access the control channel for that talk group.

I assume there is always the possibility that the RR database could be not up to date. What are my options to help try and see if there are other control channels this site could be using that arent listed online?

ltcpro

Premium Subscriber
@mikeOxlong, The Tybee Island tower is less than a half mile from my office. That is the one I am having issues with. All other sites on this system work without issue though. I cannot access the Tybee Island control channel indoors or outdoors so it has to be programming related.

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
You might find Trunking Basics to be an interesting read towards giving you an understanding.

All sites in a trunked system has the potential capability of carrying all talkgroups, but many factors may lead to only certain sites that they are on. An affiliation by a user radio on a particular site is required in order for that site to carry a talkgroup. As a result, scanners should be programmed with sites that are more likely to provide radio coverage for a particular area they want to monitor.

The fact that you know that your ambulances operate in a certain area makes it highly likely that you should be able to find what you are looking for. Looking at the system, I think that the information in the database entry may not be complete. Motorola systems can have four different control channels that it may cycle through. You may want to try programming all the frequencies for the Tybee Island site in order to catch the current control channel.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
@mikeOxlong, The Tybee Island tower is less than a half mile from my office. That is the one I am having issues with. All other sites on this system work without issue though. I cannot access the Tybee Island control channel indoors or outdoors so it has to be programming related.

It's possible the control channel has moved to a different channel.

Try entering in the other frequencies from the site to see if you can find it.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
Hello radio gods!

I might have missed it, but did you enter all of the frequencies? The referenced list only indicates 1 control channel, so 3 others have the potential to be the CC.

troymail

Silent Key
Hi Troy,

Thanks for taking the time to try to assist me. I figured as much that it can be configured a number of ways. I have a Uniden Bearcat 346XTC. I programmed it with FreeScan utilizing the Radio Reference database. I am having issues connecting to the Tybee Island site. I have all of the control channel frequencies listed for the Tybee Island site programmed properly but am unable to access the control channel for that talk group.

I assume there is always the possibility that the RR database could be not up to date. What are my options to help try and see if there are other control channels this site could be using that arent listed online?

You say you have all control channels programmed -- hopefully that means you've programmed all 5 frequencies listed for Tybee Island. If not, make you have all of them programmed and double check that you don't have any "typos".

Being that close to the site - you may just want to do a search for control channel/data signal noise and/or voice activity on frequencies between 850-860....

I can't recall what special steps were required using Freescan when it comes to rebanded systems. However, I'm pretty sure you should still be detecting a control channel.

Does the radio receive other activity and/or trunked systems?

ltcpro

Premium Subscriber
Not to complicate things but this may help my theory that the database information may be incomplete. The Tybee Island Volunteer FD and Police use this trunked system for their operations and their talkgroups are listed in the database. When I try to hold on one of the TIFD or TIPD talk groups I also get the message that there is no control channel.

troymail

Silent Key
Not to complicate things but this may help my theory that the database information may be incomplete. The Tybee Island Volunteer FD and Police use this trunked system for their operations and their talkgroups are listed in the database. When I try to hold on one of the TIFD or TIPD talk groups I also get the message that there is no control channel.

Should have no bearing on the radio finding the control channel - if you have them all programmed.

ltcpro

Premium Subscriber
You say you have all control channels programmed -- hopefully that means you've programmed all 5 frequencies listed for Tybee Island. If not, make you have all of them programmed and double check that you don't have any "typos".

Being that close to the site - you may just want to do a search for control channel/data signal noise and/or voice activity on frequencies between 850-860....

I can't recall what special steps were required using Freescan when it comes to rebanded systems. However, I'm pretty sure you should still be detecting a control channel.

Does the radio receive other activity and/or trunked systems?

To Clarify for everyone, yes I have programmed all 5 channels listed on RR as possible control channels. The issues persists.

@Troymail - You say to search the 850-860 range. Is it typical for the channel I am looking for to be just in the 850-860 range?

troymail

Silent Key
To Clarify for everyone, yes I have programmed all 4 channels listed on RR as possible control channels. The issues persists.

@Troymail - You say to search the 850-860 range. Is it typical for the channel I am looking for to be just in the 850-860 range?

4? I see a total of 5 -- have you possibly programmed all BUT the control channel?

You should have all 5 of these programmed:
851.88750c

ltcpro

Premium Subscriber
4? I see a total of 5 -- have you possibly programmed all BUT the control channel?

I corrected my typo. I just verified all entries on my programmed site on the BC346XTC. There are 5 programmed and they match the ones listed.

ltcpro

Premium Subscriber
Those are typical ranges for 800 Mhz public safety systems. It looks like all of the 5 sites frequencies (at least what is listed in RRDB) are 850-861.

Agreed, So I will attempt to scan the 850-860's range and listen for control channels. Then add them in one by one and see if it makes a difference?

troymail

Silent Key
Agreed, So I will attempt to scan the 850-860's range and listen for control channels. Then add them in one by one and see if it makes a difference?

See what you find (if anything) and then compare what you find to the database listings for the system (all 5 sites). It's always possible you might pick up activity that is part of some completely different system.

ltcpro

Premium Subscriber
Understood, I will report back my findings. Thanks again for you time!

Status
Not open for further replies.