Situation Unit Location "Codes"

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK4HG

Premium Subscriber
While listening to a hostage situation this evening in Montgomery County, a command unit asked for unit locations of those units on the scene. Several units reported back with locations as follows: 32 corner, 14 corner, 34 corner, 23 corner and 12 corner. Can someone explain these numbers? I thought maybe they were like airport runway designations but after looking at a map of the scene, this made no sense.

SCPD

QRT
Probably very similar to codes use by fire departments, so

1-side = front of the building
2-side = generally to the right of the building as seen from the street
3-side = generally the back side of the building
4-side = generally the left hand side of the building as seen from the street.

So the 1-2 side would be a corner the front right corner, etc...

Fire departments generally use the letters A, B, C and D sides.

Hope that helps ya some.

KK4HG

Premium Subscriber
I couldn't remember hearing these codes before tonight while listening to a hostage situation unfold just a mile from my house...lovely neighborhood. Anyway, as things progressed, I kinda figured it out and you have confirmed that my brain is still working a bit!

Thanks for the input. This site is great!! There is always someone around several levels above my "pay grade" with the answer.

Last edited:

fd2119

Actually, one minor correction. Side 2 (aka side B) is to the left of the building, and side 4 (side D) is to the right. Quadrants are often used in conjunction, and are numbered/lettered in the same manner. So quadrant A is closest to quadrants A and B, quadrant B, sides B and C, quadrant C, sides C and D, quadrant D, quadrants D and A. Prince George's has also added a 5th quadrant (yes, they dubbed it a 5th quadrant!): quadrant E, in the middle of the building.

__C___
B: : D
----A-----

Sorry for the crude drawing, but I suspect it'll get the point across.

Also, as I understand it, the lettering is a NIMS compliance issue. However, the police seem to be using the old style numbering. I also heard this on a barricade on Muirkirk Road in Laurel a couple days ago.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.