SJFD Robo Dispatcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

officer_415

Database Admin
I noticed today that San Jose Fire has a robo dispatcher...is that new? I know Santa Clara County Fire has had a robo dispatcher for a while, but I don't recall San Jose having one. I know Sacramento recently switched to robo dispatching as well.

I noticed today that San Jose Fire has a robo dispatcher...is that new? I know Santa Clara County Fire has had a robo dispatcher for a while, but I don't recall San Jose having one. I know Sacramento recently switched to robo dispatching as well.
Yes it’s new within the last month. Seems like it cuts back in dispatch jobs as each command channel had a dispatcher separate from the main dispatch, where as now it almost seemed like the same dispatcher was working 2 commands during a busy weekend in the beginning of September. Could have been a one weekend thing but it sucks to see jobs lost to technology. Definitely easier to listen to the person dispatcher than the robot. The end of an era it seems :/

E5911

Premium Subscriber
The object is two-fold: allow the CAD to dispatch multiple calls at the same time and regulate the vocal style such that is consistent day to day shift to shift . In many places the dispatcher remains as a back up.
As more dept attempt to meet acceidation and NFPA guidelines, you will see lees and less over the air because the network is faster to alert the stations. The bigger goal is reduce TOTAL RESPONSE TIME with station alerting a one part.

ea1321

SJFD has made the switch over the the Robo Dispatcher. Its funny when they step on the robot or a engine keys over the robot, because the dispatchers have come up with a name for it. It's pretty funny. With the dispatcher jobs, I don't see any job loss in the near future. They are actually looking to hire about 6-8 new recruits for the new academy. At any given time SJFD has 6-8 call takers/radio dispatchers on at a time.

ea1321

I know they have a name for it, they call the robot by a first name its pretty funny. I just cant think of it right now.

Stealthguy05

Samantha is the name the company that developed the voice gave it. Nuance Technologies. I've heard that name used on the air before. The real life person is named Susan Bennett. An early version of the "Samantha" voice was actually used for the first implementation of Siri. Since then, the voice has been used for a multitude of different text-to-speech applications. I know for sure I've heard it in Ford's sync platform as well as on the local trains and buses announcing next stations etc. I chuckled when County Fire started using that system several years ago now. I believe Santa Clara County, San Jose, Mountain View, and Palo Alto now use the same Phoenix G2 alert system.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
The City of Santa Barbara FD uses an automated system. Been is use for a few months. Supposedly they had to record all the street names for the system. It is much faster than the two-tone alerting system and they have their own mesh network. There is still a live dispatcher of course. Seems to work well. I remember when SBFD used the alarm telegraph. The bells could be heard in the background when a call was dispatched. Now that was a real fire call.

Status
Not open for further replies.