Skidmore College Freqs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

firepilot

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I'm new to the scanner world so please excuse my lack of knowledge...

I was looking for the freq for skidmore college campus safety. The FCC Database has it as 151.715 but all I hear is the maintenance staff talking about clogged toilets and leaking windows. I've stood 5 feet from a officer while he was talking on his radio and couldn’t hear it from my scanner. 151.715 is the only freq assigned to Skidmore College. Just wondering if I'm missing something.

Thanks in Advance

KW

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Interestingly enough, the RR database has 155.715 listed for campus security, not the 151.715 frequency that the college is actually licensed for. The 155 frequency is licensed to the county under KBK215.

Who knows if that's actually in use at the college, but if you can confirm that 151.715 is used by campus maintenance, I will go ahead and add that to the database.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
It seems unlikely (but not impossible) that they would be using 155.715 for security as that is a common statewide EMS channel (which is why it is licensed to the County) and it is in the FCC public safety pool.
The school is private and not affiliated with the county. Their one license is a business industrial license and it lists security as the license contact.
Since he has heard facilities on 151.715, which is what they are licensed for, I wouldn't be suprised if the RRDB is just a typo.

It's possible that the radio you saw them (security) using is
Using a different PL tone than your scanner was programmed for (if any)
Not licensed.
Licensed to someone else (leased radio time - like on an LTR trunked system)
Not really a "radio". Could it have been a push to talk cell phone, like a Nextel?

To the original poster: What model scanner do you own? If it has a close-call feature, you might be able to find their frequency if you are near an officer when they transmit.

Edit: A Google search shows that NF2G's old pages had 151.715 for Skidmore Security. I think it's highly likely the RRDB is a typo.

Last edited:

firepilot

Premium Subscriber
Interestingly enough, the RR database has 155.715 listed for campus security, not the 151.715 frequency that the college is actually licensed for. The 155 frequency is licensed to the county under KBK215.

Who knows if that's actually in use at the college, but if you can confirm that 151.715 is used by campus maintenance, I will go ahead and add that to the database.

Yeah, I think I was the one who submitted the 155.715. That is a typo. The Private college is given the 151.715 freq. So to confirm, yes you can add it.

firepilot

Premium Subscriber
It seems unlikely (but not impossible) that they would be using 155.715 for security as that is a common statewide EMS channel (which is why it is licensed to the County) and it is in the FCC public safety pool.
The school is private and not affiliated with the county. Their one license is a business industrial license and it lists security as the license contact.
Since he has heard facilities on 151.715, which is what they are licensed for, I wouldn't be suprised if the RRDB is just a typo.

It's possible that the radio you saw them (security) using is
Using a different PL tone than your scanner was programmed for (if any)
Not licensed.
Licensed to someone else (leased radio time - like on an LTR trunked system)
Not really a "radio". Could it have been a push to talk cell phone, like a Nextel?

To the original poster: What model scanner do you own? If it has a close-call feature, you might be able to find their frequency if you are near an officer when they transmit.

Edit: A Google search shows that NF2G's old pages had 151.715 for Skidmore Security. I think it's highly likely the RRDB is a typo.

Yup, ok. If my posts weren't delayed (I'm a new member - they need to be approved) you would see that I agree, its probably a typo. I'm running a Radio Shack Pro-404 scanner. It's nothing special... I've had it for about 2 years so it's coming up on upgrade time. Thanks for your help!

D

DaveNF2G

The hunt is on, then. The "security" usage was not verified by me directly, and apparently was not correct when submitted (or maybe it was and things have changed). Time to seek out their actual security channel(s).

Skidmore, for those unfamiliar, is in Saratoga Springs. Too far to hear from Waterford, but maybe worth a drive when I have more gas money.

LathamScan

Premium Subscriber
Give this channel a try - 151.505 MHz. I have heard traffic on this channel before that sounded like a college security. The CTCSS tone used is 156.7 Hz which is the same tone as the 151.715 maintenance channel. I can only hear the base side of the conversations, and they are very weak here in Latham. I haven't been able to find a license for Skidmore College on that frequency but 151.505 is an 'itinerant' channel, and it's been known to happen from time to time users on 'itinerant' channels don't get licensed.

firepilot

Premium Subscriber
Give this channel a try - 151.505 MHz. I have heard traffic on this channel before that sounded like a college security. The CTCSS tone used is 156.7 Hz which is the same tone as the 151.715 maintenance channel. I can only hear the base side of the conversations, and they are very weak here in Latham. I haven't been able to find a license for Skidmore College on that frequency but 151.505 is an 'itinerant' channel, and it's been known to happen from time to time users on 'itinerant' channels don't get licensed.

I've programed it in. I'll let you know if I hear anything. Thanks for the help!

firepilot

Premium Subscriber

Well 151.505 did it! Within 10 minutes of turning on my scanner, I heard what I believe was campus safety.

LathamScan

Premium Subscriber
With a LOT of these types of unlicensed operations, I have found the user purchased the radios online, and of course, the company that sold the radios doesn't mention that a FCC license is required.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Both frequencies updated/added in the database. Good work, fellas.

Mtnrider

Premium Subscriber
reminds me of a story ....friend of mine planted a FB6 repeater after he got it licensed at a high profile location in the 152/157 split....and no one was on it....fired it up come a monday whole bunch of school buses.... made note of the PL and not to use it...they were on the input base/mobile...turned out they were way up in northern NY and bought online the whole system from scratch...end of story was he gained a customer and got them on a licensed freq...

Status
Not open for further replies.