Sky Harbor Site question

Status
Not open for further replies.

kg4pbd

I'll be spending a few hours there and wondering if I only need the Sky Harbor site, rather than all the simulcast sites.

Thanks,

Astrak

It depends on what you want to listen to. PD is encrypted and you won't hear Phoenix PD A/B decks off of the Sky Harbor IR.

kg4pbd

It depends on what you want to listen to. PD is encrypted and you won't hear Phoenix PD A/B decks off of the Sky Harbor IR.

I just want to listen to the airport talkgroups while I'm waiting.

rpgaun

Premium Subscriber
I have the site programed in the car and I do hear several of the TGs when I get down by W Buckeye & 67th area. I just have the Emergency Management & Incident Management TGs and they are active mostly during ARFF assignments.

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (BREW; Opera Mini/6.0.3/27.2338; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 320X240 LG VN530)

If you're just interested in the airport operations, you only need the airport site.

AirScan1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
was civil defense now emergency management don't see how it can be active?
is there a talk group of that??

are you interested towers and planes
most of the talk groups there is operations and baggage and refueling

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (BREW; Opera Mini/6.0.3/27.2338; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 320X240 LG VN530)

1198 Is Emergency Dispatch. 1190-1192 are the IMS talkgroups at the airport.
These are the talkgroups used at the airport, in addition to the VHF analog channels and the K-deck talkgroups.

Last edited:

Phoenix805

oh my god,, where are scanner frequencies to these ???

Regional Wireless Cooperative (RWC) Trunking System, Phoenix, Arizona - Scanner Frequencies

Look about 3/4 of the way down the page under "Sky Harbor Airport Talkgroups", and make sure you have the Sky Harbor IR control freqs programmed in. I don't know what the IR ouput power is, but I can't pick them up at home like I can most of the other Phoenix sites, I can only receive them when I'm near the airprot.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
An added bonus is that a scanner tuned to the Sky Harbor IR site does not suffer from the dreaded simulcast distortion problems that plague scanner listeners on the simulcast sites. My old dinosaur BC796 has no issues scanning the airport site. Maybe I'll host a feed of it since it's the only RWC site that works worth a darn on that scanner.

-AZ

KB7MIB

Unless Airscan has upgraded recently, he doesn't have a digital capable scanner to listen to any of the RWC sites, including the Sky Harbor IR.
Airscan, just to be clear, the Emergency Dispatch and IMS talkgroups on the Sky Harbor IR are not Emergency Management in the Civil Defense way that you may be thinking of. They're for the use of fire station 19 & 29 apparatus at the airport, (as well as any other off-airport fire apparatus that may respond to emergencies on the airport grounds) and any other authorized airport or fire department staff.
They are mostly used during in-flight emergency incidents, (Alert 1, 2 or 3 incidents) in addition to whichever VHF A-deck channel Phoenix Alarm may assign them to. A-7 or A-8?

AirScan1

Banned
ok upgrade? I can't afford a upgrade on scanner I get by using scanner feeds from smartphone
but how offen the airport chat on the emergency ops on there?

Phoenix805

ok upgrade? I can't afford a upgrade on scanner I get by using scanner feeds from smartphone
but how offen the airport chat on the emergency ops on there?

I can't pick up the airport from my house, so I can't say how often they handle emergency ops. I can say when I worked at the airport (about 30 years ago) they averaged about 1 'incident' a day. Typically on the old radio system they would broadcast something to the effect of 'aircraft due in in 5 minutes with (landing gear problems, engine failure, low hydraulic pressure, etc). Station 19 would roll out and line the runway and about 6-8 airfield maintenance trucks would roll out. Usually the plane would land with no problems (thank goodness) and they would announce 'aircraft is on the ground'. Then an airfield maintenance crew would drive the runway looking for any problems (oil spills, parts that fell off, etc.). He would report directly to the tower that the runway was clear and he was clear of the runway, then they would announce 'all clear, return to regular duty'.

Back then they used 4 freqs, one for tower-ground control (for anyone approaching a live runway or taxi way), one for airport operations - that covered pretty much everything, and 2 fire freqs, the normal fire dispatch/response channel and the airport fire channel. But 30 years later and a new radio system with lots of specific talk groups, I don't know how things are handled or how often they're used.

AirScan1

Banned
sounds like frequency that rarely used.
the only way you will hear a good emergency is if some one goes nuts on the plane or if the commander and chief is attacked or sate official.

other wise is mainly dead

KB7MIB

As rpgaun mentioned previously, anytime there is an aircraft incident (Alert 1 or Alert 2, or Heaven forbid, an Alert 3) at Sky Harbor, one or more of the 3 IMS talkgroups will become active.
IIRC, the Emergency Dispatch talkgroup is active for any call at the airport. On fire-EMS calls, it repeats the Phoenix FD dispatch for the non-fire department airport personnel who monitor it.

KB7MIB

To the best of my knowledge, the Emergency Dispatch talkgroup is not encrypted. I don't know about the three IMS talkgroups. They may be all clear, they may be all encrypted, or they may be a mix of clear and encrypted (1 clear and 2 encrypted, or 2 clear and 1 encrypted).
I don't live close enough to monitor Sky Harbor's IR, I've only been there once or twice in the past year to have a chance to monitor.

kd7ckq

<<SNIP>> My old dinosaur BC796 has no issues scanning the airport site. Maybe I'll host a feed of it since it's the only RWC site that works worth a darn on that scanner.

-AZ

I would listen to that feed. Sky Harbor was always in my scanner when I would visit the valley.

BikerScout
Sunny AZ
:cool:

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Tell you what, once my new 436HP finally arrives, I'll set up the 796D to scan the airport and host a feed. Right now I use the 796D as my "home" scanner usually only when something big is going on. Once I get the new scanner, it'll free up the 796D for the airport feed.

-AZ

Status
Not open for further replies.