Skywarn De

Status
Not open for further replies.

doctordave

I've seen various freqs cited for SKYWARN in DE...and there certainly are a number of amateur repeaters in the area. A NOAA link suggests 449.725 PL 131.8 for Dover. Another website suggests 146.7 PL 131.8 for NCC.

Does anyone have a comprehensive list of freqs/PLs for DE?

Thanks.

de784

Feed Provider
skywarn

I was picking strom chasers up the other night on 146.925 in sussex county

K3GI

Sussex County ARES uses the S.A.R.A. repeater on 147.075. (usually no pl but may use 156.7)

To the best of my knowledge the Kent County ARES uses 146.970 (pl 77.0)

Worcester/Wicomico Counties in Maryland use 146.820 (pl 156.7) BTW, this repeater has a new antenna recently installed, and its coverage of the peninsula (esp. east/west) is excellent. The antenna is at about 800 ft above ground level.

doctordave

K3GI,

Great...thank you very much. I'll submit this and the info from the official SKYWARN site to the database admin.

Audiodave1

Database Admin
Hi All,
Thanks for the info.

They have been posted in the county sections.

Does anyone know if there is a state wide link that is or may be used for these activities?

Dave

Jeff302

N3GJB
Premium Subscriber
What Exactly Is Skywarn?

What is Skywarn used for? Is this a net of amateurs warning of bad weather?

Sorry for the obvious, but I don't know and I'd like to know.

Jeff

K3GI

Audiodave1, thanks for posting the info on the county sections.

To clarify the use of PL tones on the 147.075 repeater, the repeater transmits the 156.7 tone at all times. However, the intput frequency is usually not toned. This is so that hams with older radios lacking tone boards can access the repeater. However, during periods of tropospheric ducting when the repeater is receiving the input frequencies from users of distant repeaters, the tone is activated for the input freuency also. This keeps out the interference from the distant repeaters.

So, those who are monitoring the 147.075 repeater in Millsboro will find the tone (156.7) is used whenever they are listening to the repeater. But if you are a ham trying to access the repeater, it is not necessary to transmit the tone to get into the repeater (most of the time).

I hope this clarifies.

73 de Lee, K3GI

K3GI

Doctordave,

The 449.725 repeater you reported listed on the NOAA website for Kent County is part of the Bristol Emergency Amateur Radio System (BEARS System) of 18 liniked repeaters covering parts of NY, PA, NJ, DE, and MD. http://wa3bxw.com/ This multi-state system was set up with Skywarn in mind. There is a repeater in Bethany Beach also (448.725 pl 131.8) that is part of the system. They have a net every Thurs. at 9 p.m. During a local skywarn activated event, you will probably find the skywarn members on their local 2 meter repeater. However, during the recent flooding in Seaford, KB3JUV was using the BEARS System to pass information to NWS. He was getting the info from the local hams on local repeaters.

73, Lee - K3GI

doctordave

K3GI,

Thanks for the info. Various other repeater listings for the region have suggested some variability w/ PL tone use....does this typically follow the pattern you've described for 147.075, w/ full-time transmit of the PL by the repeater itself (and simply +/- use of the tone w/ input freq)? Just want to be certain that if I program a repeater output freq in w/ the PL that I'll not be missing some of the transmissions.

Appreciate your input. Also...do you know of one website w/ comprehensive & current repeater freqs/PLs for MD & DE?

Last edited:

K3GI

Dave,

Art Sci Publishing maintains a comprehensive list of repeaters for the entire country. http://www.artscipub.com/repeaters/

Tones are published in repeater directories so that hams know which tone to program into their transceiver's output frequency (which is the repeater input frequency).

There are several repeater coordination agencies throughout the country that coordinate repeaters for the various regions. Coordination is done so that repeaters on the same frequency are spaced far enough apart geographically so they (ideally) don't interfere with each other. However, when band conditions are optimum (such as during tropospheric ducting) users of distant repeaters may come through the input frequency. Putting a PL tone on the input frequency of the repeater prevents this from happening. If not then a ham might key up two or more repeaters when just wanting to talk on the local one. This, of course, creates additional interference.

Because most tone boards allow toning the output and input frequencies of the repeater, many repeater owners tone the output too. This way, when enhanced band conditions occur, hams (who turn on the PL tone for the repeater output frequency) won't hear distant repeaters or experience their interference.

Personally, I seldom use the tone on the repeater output frequency when I listen. One reason is that sometimes the tone gets turned off by mistake, and I miss transmissions. Another is that I want to know when there is a band opening. Then it's time to start working simplex trying for distant contacts or to get on vhf sideband. As I live close to the 147.075 repeater I monitor it on my 2 meter radio. I monitor all the other local repeaters on my scanner which doesn't have tone capability anyhow. If I hear someone I want to talk to, I just turn off the scanner and tune the 2 meter rig to that frequency.

If I start getting interference from distant repeaters while talking locally, then I turn on the PL tone for the repeater's output frequency.

I tend to get a little long-winded, so I hope this explanation helps and doesn't confuse.

Lee - K3GI

Last edited:

doctordave

Lee,

Thank you for the info - very helpful. The website link is great....I'd come across that one while googling around, but wasn't sure how much it could be relied upon. Nice to know that it's considered to be reasonably accurate.

K3GI

Jeff302 said:
What is Skywarn used for? Is this a net of amateurs warning of bad weather?

Sorry for the obvious, but I don't know and I'd like to know.

Jeff

BTW, you don't have to be a ham to participate in skywarn. Anybody can sign up for the training and participate.

Lee, K3GI

KB3JUV

Lee, is right the BEARS system is a pretty important repeater network for SKYWARN. The Mt. Holly NWS Center has a station that can activate and get on that network for spotter reports all around their jurisdiction.

In Delaware we use that sometimes to report directly to NWS, but sometimes we use the local 2 meter repeater to do so and the net control phones it into NWS. In New Castle BTW, they use 146.700 and 146.730 for Skywarn.

And Lee is also right about not having to be a ham to get on SKYWARN. If you are interested in weather, you can take the SKYWARN class and learn how to be a spotter.

www.deskywarn.com is the best place to find info about the program.

Justin

Status
Not open for further replies.