Skywarn Group in Piedmont NC

Status
Not open for further replies.

AK4FD

Catawba County, NC — FF/EMT, COML, AUXC, Skywarn
Premium Subscriber
Hello all, hope all is well.

I wanted to update everyone since the Charlotte Skywarn & Piedmont Spotter Groups are no longer operational. We DO have a new Spotter Group for the area. It's called the Gaston Spotter Group but don't let the name fool you we cover the entire Piedmont region, not just Gaston County. We have nets every Tuesday night @ 7:30pm on the K4ITL repeater in Dallas, NC. It's a wide-area repeater 1500-feet up on a tower. Frequency is 145.350 MHz, (-)offset and 82.5 tone. After the net check-ins we have a short weather-related training session every week so you may learn some new stuff every week! If you're not in the area or out of radio range you can still listen to us online here: Gaston Spotter Group Broadcastify.
Our website: Gaston Spotters
Our Facebook & Twitter: Gaston Spotters FB, Gaston Spotters Twitter
Hope to talk to y'all soon! 73.

David Coviello
Coordinator, Gaston Spotter Group
Ham:
AK4FD, GMRS: WRAX515
Volunteer Firefighter & EMT
NC AuxComm/ARES/RACES
DHS/FEMA Emergency Comms Group
Public Information Officer, CARC
President, Catawba Valley Amateur Radio
Net Manager, Catawba Valley Radio Net

AK4FD

Premium Subscriber
Yes sir, That is the office that we report things directly to, I have NWS Government Chat access and they are aware of our organization.

Flyham

Cool!
So along the I-85 Corridor in NC, I think this would be the most current Skywarn Repeater Line-up, Starting with yall....

145.350 MHz, (-)offset and 82.5 tone (Gaston, Charlotte, Southern Piedmont)
145.250 MHz, (-)offset and 88.5 tone ( Greensboro, Triad Skywarn)
145.210 MHz, (-)offset and 82.5 tone ( Central Carolina / Raleigh.....https://centralcarolinaskywarn.net/wp-content/uploads/NCmap.gif)

AK4FD

Premium Subscriber
That’s correct from what I can see.

sloop

Is 147.255 (82.5) in Level Cross (Ashboro) no longer connected as a SkyWarn repeater for Raleigh? It was listed as the main machine for the Triad Skywarn Group.

Flyham

Is 147.255 (82.5) in Level Cross (Ashboro) no longer connected as a SkyWarn repeater for Raleigh? It was listed as the main machine for the Triad Skywarn Group.

It's down with an unknown ETA for repair.
The Triad Lineup was 147.255 (primary), 145.250 (secondary, now primary) and 145.150 tertiary.

sloop

thanks for the update, did not know it was down. I use the 145130 machine linked into Blacksburg, VA. I have trouble where I live hearing the 145.250 machine.

Flyham

thanks for the update, did not know it was down. I use the 145130 machine linked into Blacksburg, VA. I have trouble where I live hearing the 145.250 machine.

Yea I need to remember 145.130 with it being on Fisher Peak.

Last edited:

CCHLLM

The GSO Metro area has only one of the three wide coverage repeaters that is still operating properly. The Greensboro Amateur Radio Association owns and maintains the 145.150 (100.0) machine, and it is kept operating well at all times.

The former 147.255 (82.5) Skywarn repeater and the 145.250 (88.5) repeater are owned by the same group, but neither is in good operating condition and both appear to be no longer maintained, and the grapevine info on either is very vague and not positive.

The reality and Achilles heel of these 4 digit tower height amateur repeater sites is access. If no one on the amateur side is paying for bonded and certified tower techs, the money required to field an installation/maintenance visit for amateur stuff occurs only when someone is paying techs to work on paying customers' equipment in the same trip up the tower. Then, if the techs have time, the amateur equipment gets its share of tech time.

Tall tower sited repeaters at 4 digit elevations with their wide coverage are wonderful..... until they need something.....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.