Skywarn Operators

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhughes20

Premium Subscriber
I have a Uniden scanner 396xt and I have my skywarn freq programmed why don't Skywarn go Digital on my state system Ohio Marcs for crisper clear audio Please

zz0468

QRT
Banned
The whole idea of using amateur radio for things like Skywarn is to use a completely different set of resources than that used for day to day public safety operations.

dhughes20

Premium Subscriber
Its so static and noisy even with the best Squelch settings in Findlay Ohio get a system that doesn't have to be used everyday Im just saying its hard to understand the spotters report

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Its so static and noisy even with the best Squelch settings in Findlay Ohio get a system that doesn't have to be used everyday Im just saying its hard to understand the spotters report

Sounds like you're trying to listen to something from outside it's coverage area. Skywarn operations are generally on a VHF or UHF channel using FM. The typical amateur repeater is clear, essentially static free, with good audio quality. None of that is true if you try to listen from beyond that repeater's coverage area. The same is true for simplex operations, only more so.

There is no good reason, either technical or otherwise, why an amateur Skywarn system can't have communications that are public safety grade or better, especially of the public safety comms are digital. It's hard to beat analog FM for voice clarity.

dhughes20

Premium Subscriber
147.1500 yes it is a repeater 3 miles give or take a little I ordered a new antenna to also help but its beside the point that were in the tech ages and you cant tell me the FCC and state government cant fork money over for Digital Equip

Just curious,Are you hear to vent,or to discuss?
Asking Please to change to a whole new system for their
radio comms is not a quick easy move,and seems to only
serve your own needs/wants.

Citing the issue that we are technologically advanced enough
is not an argument,its an opinion.SKYWARN members use self
procured gear.Not an issue of state funding and the FCC dose not
meddle in issuance of radio gear.

My apologies,but your post dose not really make sense.

Last edited:

zz0468

QRT
Banned
147.1500 yes it is a repeater 3 miles give or take a little...

Something tells me there's more to the story. You should be able to pick that up on your fillings.

I ordered a new antenna to also help but its beside the point that were in the tech ages and you cant tell me the FCC and state government cant fork money over for Digital Equip

Actually, I can tell you exactly that and, by golly, I think I will:

1. The FCC doesn't fund Skywarn, or anyone else's equipment needs.

2. The state doesn't fund Skywarn.

If you can't hear a 2 meter repeater 3 miles away, going digital wouldn't help you. There's something else wrong besides the repeater being analog.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Our Skywarn repeater is able to be utilized for over 20 miles.

Are you the only person with a problem receiving the repeater you are listening to?

What is your setup? (Are you using an external antenna into your 396?)

Are you able to hear other VHF signals with nor problem?

Sent via Tapatalk

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Skywarn is an amateur program where volunteer amateur radio operator / spotters use their own equipment to assist the National Weather Service. It is not funded by any government organization.

Fire and Law Enforcement personnel are also storm spotters and use their public safety systems to report conditions to their dispatcher who will then forward that info to the NWS.

Skywarn net control operators, who are amateurs, operate on public safety systems such as Ohio MARCS (listed under Ohio EMA Talk Groups) as well as the Franklin County Public Safety System, to communicate with each other and the NWS, but these systems are not used by amateur spotters.

Status
Not open for further replies.