Skywarn

Status
Not open for further replies.

ngel

Does anyone have an accurate ham skywarn frequencies for the Pasco Area? I had programmed in 146.640 Mhz and have not heard anything on it during any recent storms. I noticed this site currently lists it as depreciated. I am hoping they all did not go to digital somewhere!!

ff-medic

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The Appalachians - Next to the tent and campfire.
I like NOAA weather radio and accurate satellite ( IR & Visible ) imagery for storm information. Skywarn ( ham radio conversations ) is good for after the fact to get accurate information regarding damage, roads blocked....ect.

The Skywarn repeater may be down, damaged, out of service for maintenance.

Other Skyarn repeaters in ajoining jurisdictions may be able to be heard, and give you the same...or better information.

Pinellas County, Florida (FL) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Florida Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Internet find = West Central Florida Group, Inc - NI4CE Big Stick Repeater System

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/PascoRACESARESSKYWARN/info

FF - Medic !!!

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
The last tornado in our area was reported by a Skywarn observer using ham radio. No lives were lost or serious injuries thanks to his report of the category 4 storm. Some tornadoes form under the view of radar and makes visual spotting necessary.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
NWS Ruskin Net Control

Here are three frequencies you should program to hear Skywarn in PASCO County...

Pasco County: 146.670 and 442.650 (146.2 tone both). WA4GDN repeater.
Tampa Bay (Holiday repeater): 443.450 (100.0 tone). NI4CE linked repeater system.

Each county in the Tampa Bay area has a designated frequency for Skywarn activities. However, many use the NI4CE repeater system instead. I assume it's because it has greater coverage, audience and can be directly monitored by the NWS in Ruskin.

I will also concur what jaspence said about the need for Skywarn. I've called in two funnel cloud sightings to the NWS that triggered tornado warnings. Looking at the weather on a computer screen does not replace eyes on the ground. If the NWS didn't see the usefulness of Skywarn spotters, they wouldn't support the program.

Last edited:

ngel

NWS Ruskin Net Control

Here are three frequencies you should program to hear Skywarn in PASCO County...

Pasco County: 146.670 and 442.650 (146.2 tone both). WA4GDN repeater.
Tampa Bay (Holiday repeater): 443.450 (100.0 tone). NI4CE linked repeater system.

Each county in the Tampa Bay area has a designated frequency for Skywarn activities. However, many use the NI4CE repeater system instead. I assume it's because it has greater coverage, audience and can be directly monitored by the NWS in Ruskin.

I will also concur what jaspence said about the need for Skywarn. I've called in two funnel cloud sightings to the NWS that triggered tornado warnings. Looking at the weather on a computer screen does not replace eyes on the ground. If the NWS didn't see the usefulness of Skywarn spotters, they wouldn't support the program.

Are these digital? Or are you still hearing analog stuff?

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
Are these digital? Or are you still hearing analog stuff?

They're not digital and yes, there's plenty of analog activity.

You'll often hear Skywarn activity when there's a severe thunderstorm warning, tornado warning or other weather threat.

AESFTW

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone have an accurate ham skywarn frequencies for the Pasco Area? I had programmed in 146.640 Mhz and have not heard anything on it during any recent storms. I noticed this site currently lists it as depreciated. I am hoping they all did not go to digital somewhere!!

That repeater has been taken out of service due to malacious interference.

R

retiredmich

ngel, If you are in to Weather, have you ever heard of an APP called the " Weather Radio by WDT "?
It's an APP on a cell phone by the NOAA Weather & it's free. I have it on my cell phone & it is AWESOME for Weather Alerts 24/7. If you are interested in this, If you have a cell phone open your
APP's go to SEARCH, type in the words " Weather Radio Alerts " then open it , let it down load, then reopen it & follow instructions. You can program up to 5 diff locations, it has a Weather TONE ALERT,
& also VOICE ALERT, try it & see what you think. Have a good day !

R

retiredmich

ngel, I do be leave it is free for any cell phone, BUT if not it will tell you the price before you down load it. BUT ! I do be leave it is free.

Status
Not open for further replies.