Skywarn

Status
Not open for further replies.

som

I guess I just don't know enough about it, but why is there no Skywarn for the New Orleans area? Am I just missing it?

n5ims

The typical ARES that handles many SkyWarn nets has gotten much more formal in the New Orleans area after Katrina. It's handled by SELCOM, Southeast Louisiana Emergency Communications Service (SELCOM-W5MCC). The emergency function for each of their repeaters is detailed here Repeater Allocations although SkyWarn is not formally listed. Other sites list the 444.8250 (PL 114.8, standard +5 offset) repeater for weather nets (you may want to check the other SELCOM repeaters though since it may have changed).

The NWS also has a "Submit Storm Report" link on their local web page (New Orleans/Baton Rouge) that's available to the public.

The ham call for SELCOM, W5MCC, was originally the call for The New Orleans VHF Society that took over many of the original ham repeaters in the New Orleans area and expanded on them as use increased. They also attempted to disperse them around the area so outages in one area wouldn't take them all out due to a single outage (think of a major power failure in downtown NO, which is originally where they were located). Instead of them just being on a few of the tall buildings in downtown NO, they placed them on the TV towers in NO East, buildings in Jefferson Parish, and other areas to better serve the metro area hams.

Last edited:

som

One more question: I see that most if not all of the New Orleans repeaters cover the LaPlace area as well, but do you know of any dedicated St. John Parish sites as well? Just want to make sure I have all my bases covered... especially with Tropical Storm Cindy bearing down on the coast.

Thanks!

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
One more question: I see that most if not all of the New Orleans repeaters cover the LaPlace area as well, but do you know of any dedicated St. John Parish sites as well? Just want to make sure I have all my bases covered... especially with Tropical Storm Cindy bearing down on the coast.

Thanks!

Louisiana Amateur and GMRS radio repeaters

charlie12

If you need a 2 meter repeater you can try our club repeater 146.835 with a 114.8 tone feel free to key up. It's located in Jackson, La and has a wide coverage area.

Status
Not open for further replies.