• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

SL300 Antenna Upgrade?

K6GBW

I use about a half dozen SL300 UHF versions. I'm wondering, is there an alternative antenna that's larger/more effecient for these? Pretty sure I know the answer to this but wanted to ask to confirm.

Thanks,

Brian

K6GBW

The little SL300's work pretty well out in the wilderness where we use them. They work surprisingly well on analog, but they really shine on DMR simplex. For use the DMR also has a longer lasting battery, so a two or three day trip in the back country only takes one or two batteries. Love these little things!

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
What is the furthest you have tested in urban and or wilderness areas? My 7550 will do 1/2 mile outdoor in urban area no problem. That is also the limit when testing in a vehicle while another is indoors. I wish it offered analog as well, but the easy charge with USB, even in the field, was a positive for me as well as the slim size, low weight and a display. Some of mine have the larger battery door and battery option. I forgot the battery life and will need to test again.

The SL300 is relatively light as well and seems fine for outdoor use, but I was not keen on its larger size.

K6GBW

It really depends on the terrain more than the distance. In the Grand Canyon I've easily got over two miles at 1 watt. Up in the Sequoia's it can vary anywhere from 400 yards to over a mile. I generally run them at 1 watt to save battery. The 1 watt gives me plenty of range. My group prefers to backpack at their own pace, so we have the kids blast off up ahead and the oldsters lag behind, sometimes up to a mile. We started using the radios a few years ago when someone in the rear group suffered a sever cramp and we had to stop for about thirty minutes. The lead group just kept going and had no idea we had a problem. When we added the radios the problem was finding something small, light, easy to use and that could either be recharged out there or that we could carry spare batteries easily. We started with Retevis RT22's. that worked pretty well. Then I sort of fell into a pair of SL300's and played with them. They were better in both analog and DMR. I guess that's to be expected, they are a more expensive radio. So now I have a small collection of them.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Thanks and for the heads up for those that would not consider the terrain and low watt factors.

Hmm…I see it charges via USB as well. Time to buy and compare/contrast. I don’t like the larger size, but for wilderness use it’s acceptable.

K6GBW

Yeah, I've always thought too many people make an issue out of power. The Army SINCGARS tops out at 5 watts and can be turned down to 1mw, 200mw, 500mw and finally 5 watts. Honestly the less power the better. Battery lasts longer and as long as you're making contact why use more. Generally I find 1 watt good enough for my use. If we can't make contact I just look for a higher terrain feature and try again. That almost always does the trick.