• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

SL300 Firmware downgrade to use CPS 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

tropiradio

I have received a new SL300 radio from Motorola and tried to downgrade the firmware to v2.09 in order to be able to program it using CPS v16. The problem is that v16 cannot access the radio, and I get the error Codeplug Not Supported, so I cannot do the Device > Upgrade procedure.

I also tried by setting the radio into flashzap mode by pressing PTT and side button on power up, the screen says "BOOT", but the CPS 16 can still not see the radio (no valid device error).

Radio is only readable with CPS v2.110.120.0, but not with earlier V2 versions.

BTW I installed the MOTOTRBO_SL_R0209000001_140013_Portable.exe file before attempting the FW downgrade so the necessary files would be available to the CPS.

What am I doing wrong? I'm pretty new to FW changes.
Or did Motorola close the possibility of downgrading for newer production radios to use CPS 16?

tropiradio

More information on the SL300 radio gleaned by reading it with v2 CPS:

Firmware version: R01.21.01.0000
Codeplug version: 21.10.51
Bootloader version: R01.20.02.0000

There is also a Firmware ID, but its a long string of letters and numbers which I would have to copy manually, if this information is of any help.

Firebuff880

Motorola has not allowed Downgrade for many years now. There used to be a process where large dealers / customers might get a specially built downgrade package but even that no longer exists.

K2NEC

It can be done, just not by any means discussed here. Also the SL300 doesn't use the 2.09 firmware, you need the Light R01.01.30 firmware.

tropiradio

Hi again K2.

Care to explain how the procedure is done with the light firmware? Do I have to use a flashzap program? Reason I need to use v16 is because I need this radio to work on a 25K analog system (outside the US) and my modified v16 allows for this on AA radios. Target radio was really a Latam SL500 but it was going to take many more weeks to wait for delivery then the SL300.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Hi again K2.

Care to explain how the procedure is done with the light firmware? Reason I need to use v16 is because I need this radio to work on a 25K analog system (outside the US) and my modified v16 allows for this on AA radios. Target radio was really a Latam SL500 but it was going to take many more weeks to wait for delivery then the SL300.

Why don’t you just get the wide band entitlement for CPS2?

Status
Not open for further replies.