• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

SL300 programing

Radios_With_Jackson

ÆS Ø
Premium Subscriber
I have been trying to program two SL300s for the past 2 days. I have contacted Motorola about getting the programming software and they gave me the software I already have, which isn't compatible with the SL300. Does anyone know who I should contact next about getting software?

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
What software did they give you exactly? It should just be the latest version of MOTOTRBO CPS. What errors are you getting and what kind of programming cable are you using? MSI is the only legitimate source.

Radios_With_Jackson

ÆS Ø
Premium Subscriber
What software did they give you exactly? It should just be the latest version of MOTOTRBO CPS. What errors are you getting and what kind of programming cable are you using?
They gave me the latest version on CPS. When I try to read the radio it just says unable to detect radio. I’m using a micro usb cable for programming.

Radios_With_Jackson

ÆS Ø
Premium Subscriber
All TRBO radios should connect to your PC as a network device. Sounds like it isn't doing that. Here's an older post from the awesome DJ0WH that should help: Help, my PC doesn't see my MOTOTRBO radio!

Edit: also note what MTS2000des suggests.
In the article, it says that the radio should show up as a network connect device in windows device manager but that's not the case for me. and I'm using a data cable.

EWC_BDN

Does the Radio sing the traditional mototrbo Accessory connected song when you plug it in to PC? does windows sing it's USB plugged in song?

Is the radio powered on? it's hard to tell on that radio. If the USB ports on both ends and the cable is a data cable it will show up.

PC in airplane mode and LAN unplugged might help too, but IIRC it should show up at a Network device anyway even if there is an IP address conflict.

Try another USB port. even if the port works. I recall times where that just fixes it for me.

That article is pretty comprehensive. there's no more info to give.

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
Are you an admin on your PC or is it managed by someone else for you? I haven't seen it, but I can imagine an aggressive firewall configuration that could get in the way. Anything useful in the Windows Event Viewer? Most recently, I programmed an SL300 with firmware R01.01.20.0001, CP 09.00.14, using CPS 16.0 on a 4-year old Acer Win10 laptop with a generic USB cable.

Radios_With_Jackson

ÆS Ø
Premium Subscriber
Are you an admin on your PC or is it managed by someone else for you? I haven't seen it, but I can imagine an aggressive firewall configuration that could get in the way. Anything useful in the Windows Event Viewer? Most recently, I programmed an SL300 with firmware R01.01.20.0001, CP 09.00.14, using CPS 16.0 on a 4-year old Acer Win10 laptop with a generic USB cable.
Yes I’m an admin on my PC. I’m using Win11.