SLATER - P25 for St Louis County, St Charles County, Jefferson county

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
The riots in Ferguson were typical of why encryption should be used "as needed" in the region. I understand that cell phone apps were keeping some of the rioters as well as the organizers of the riots right behind the officers as they prepared for different situations. It was a good decision to to use it then, even though I don't think it was up and running yet.

On the other hand ecryption did not protect those officers in any way what so ever. I have a brother that is a cop in a StL county muni and there is nothing in their day to day radio traffic that needs to be encrypted. As far as hiding crime stats goes it sounds possible. Not sure. Keeping people away from crimes scenes......I do not believe that. There are not that many, if many at all, people in the high crime areas that monitor P25 digital trunking systems just so they can rush to the scene of a crime. That excuse sounds fishy.

I guess we can find ways to at least catch "some" info on chanhels like ISPERN, pt to pt and a couple other inter agency channels that are still in the clear. From the poster that stated no radios or computer feeds would be given to the news media, I wonder how they can report so acuratly the crime that does happen. Sometimes with PD still activly working the scene.

Just keep on druging on folks. Try to stay a little positive. No matter how hard it may be.

Septa3371CSX1

The riots in Ferguson were typical of why encryption should be used "as needed" in the region. I understand that cell phone apps were keeping some of the rioters as well as the organizers of the riots right behind the officers as they prepared for different situations. It was a good decision to to use it then, even though I don't think it was up and running yet.

On the other hand ecryption did not protect those officers in any way what so ever. I have a brother that is a cop in a StL county muni and there is nothing in their day to day radio traffic that needs to be encrypted. As far as hiding crime stats goes it sounds possible. Not sure. Keeping people away from crimes scenes......I do not believe that. There are not that many, if many at all, people in the high crime areas that monitor P25 digital trunking systems just so they can rush to the scene of a crime. That excuse sounds fishy.

I guess we can find ways to at least catch "some" info on chanhels like ISPERN, pt to pt and a couple other inter agency channels that are still in the clear. From the poster that stated no radios or computer feeds would be given to the news media, I wonder how they can report so acuratly the crime that does happen. Sometimes with PD still activly working the scene.

Just keep on druging on folks. Try to stay a little positive. No matter how hard it may be.

I agree. To me routine day-to-day dispatch should not be encrypted. If the need is there for a certain call to operate on an encrypted channel then I fully support it. The excuses of officers not knowing what channel their radio is on or not having time to switch is a load of BS. Yes I understand they have a very dangerous job and have to make split second life altering decisions. At the same time it isn't hard to program their radios so they can easily switch to an encrypted channel and not look at their radio while doing it and keep their eyes on the situation. With a Motorola portable primary dispatch channel in the clear can be put in the channel 1 slot (all the way to the left on the knob) while the primary encrypted tac channel that gets used where the officer is working can be put in the channel 16 slot (all the way to the right on the knob). This way the officer knows that to go secure they just need to turn the knob all the way to the right and to return to the main channel just go all the way to the left.

bizjetmech

Premium Subscriber
Broadcastify and encryption

So why can I hear stl county police (2nd pct) on Broadcastify but not on my BCD536HP? And, if fixable, how?

rus99wes

Mehiville f d is lousy since central dispatch took over
go back to local dispatch on lemay ferry road
at firehouse

davfin007

Premium Subscriber
I too can't figure out how we can still hear a few of the St Louis County PD channels on the live audio feed since they're all encrypted in the entire county? This is quite the mystery! Of course I'm grateful for the listening opportunity but this has me scratching my head.

davfin007

Premium Subscriber
Toll Plazas

Toll plazas in the St. Louis region? They're aren't any.... this is a response to a recent posting on this sight.

sweir

Can anyone in the South St Louis County area pick St Louis City Fire Department?

sweir

Is that info in the database on here? I'm in Melhville trying to host a St Louis City Fire feed in a BCD436HP. Not sure how to program a certain site in the scanner.

WingnutStl

Premium Subscriber
Firenet Goes Encrypted

I knew that it was in the works for a while, but Firenet TG 54101 has gone encrypted.

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
I did not notice that. Been too busy with the holidays. Just goes to show you that there is a lot of paranoia at SLATER. You can't even listen to two dispatchers asking how long of a wait for the PD to show up on scene or even better calling just to tell them to cancel the PD/EMS. Too sensitive. Officer safety. Paper weights is about all we got any more.

Happy New Year

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Spirti Airport gone E as well

What is believed to be Spirit Airport maintenance ops has also gone encrypted. That was TG 55004

It won't be long before everything on the system will be gone.
I've also noticed several of the municipality All channels are now encrypted. I suspect the other City channels may also be doing the same with the exception being those used by Public Works.

Anyone noticing an increase of encryption on the St. Charles site?

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
I belive some of the muni city works radios are enc too. Not a lot of traffic on them during snow removal. Yep. Paperweights. Thats all we will have.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I belive some of the muni city works radios are enc too. Not a lot of traffic on them during snow removal. Yep. Paperweights. Thats all we will have.

I thought I noticed a lack of activity on some of the known PW type channels that would handle snow plowing.
I don't normally have PW service enabled but when I did turn it on, the activity seemed lower than it should have been so I suspect you are correct.
I know some muni's use those channel for speed enforcement when the PW dept is closed so those may be the ones that had the evil E turned on.

I guess we still have Moswin traffic and other than law traffic on other systems but scanning here is going downhill fast.

That's a darn shame they want to cut out the public for additional eyes and ears.

teufler

st charles cty ids still in the clear. All cities in st charles cty, that are on SLATER are in the clear. tg 23520 which sounded like a drug task force, they have been quite for awhile. They may have gone dark.

llzel

Premium Subscriber
encryption

How does the news outlets get their information? Wait until the PD or FD tweet it out? Someone should sue these departments using the Sunshine law as a basis. They are hiding from the public.

Status
Not open for further replies.