SLATER - P25 for St Louis County, St Charles County, Jefferson county

Status
Not open for further replies.

cathmer

A question... I'm working from home today and working to setup my scanner. I'm currently running Trunked Discovery and I just heard a St. Ann PD unit call in a plate over what the scanner listed as "St. Ann Public Works" So I'm just wondering at to the accuracy of how the talk groups are labeled? Or could this be a case of someone's radio tuned to the wrong channel?

cathmer

So I've been running my scanner in "Trunked Discovery Mode" and I found a few that the Sentinel software says are "New Found" talk groups. I have no idea the who what why where how of telling anyone about these ?

WingnutStl

Premium Subscriber
A question... I'm working from home today and working to setup my scanner. I'm currently running Trunked Discovery and I just heard a St. Ann PD unit call in a plate over what the scanner listed as "St. Ann Public Works" So I'm just wondering at to the accuracy of how the talk groups are labeled? Or could this be a case of someone's radio tuned to the wrong channel?

Many municipal police departments will use their municipalities "city channels" when performing traffic enforcement or other activities where it doesn't make sense to disrupt their normal dispatch channel. Departments also have encrypted channels available to them for more sensitive operations.

rickgans

Premium Subscriber
St. Louis County Car to Car

I programmed the Unidens BCD396XT and BCD996XT for SLATER using ARC-XT Pro and have been listening since late June with total success, EXCEPT for St. Louis County Police Car to Car. There are three zones shown in the programming, North at Talkgroup 55314, Central at 55313 and South at 55315. I heard nothing on Central for the past two months and yesterday added in North and South thinking they were the only two in use. But I have heard nothing on all three of them running since yesterday. This should be the old "Channel 8" from the VHF days. I am in the Muni West part of St. Louis County, which is why I thought Central would be the one. But either they are running this encrypted or using different talk groups. Anyone know?

teufler

I dson't get much car 2 car traffic, as most officers use a cell phone to talk to other officers, MDT'S for those that have them, or , for a good source, several officers are using small radios, like chinese radios ane communicating to others in their zone. Now what they are using, in frequency, I suppose MURS, or maybe old county vhf or uhf frequencies, not on Slater. Maybe even FRS, though I would think for confidentiality cell phone, 1 to 1 communications that is a good as encryption as far as scanner people are concerned.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I dson't get much car 2 car traffic, as most officers use a cell phone to talk to other officers, MDT'S for those that have them, or , for a good source, several officers are using small radios, like chinese radios ane communicating to others in their zone. Now what they are using, in frequency, I suppose MURS, or maybe old county vhf or uhf frequencies, not on Slater. Maybe even FRS, though I would think for confidentiality cell phone, 1 to 1 communications that is a good as encryption as far as scanner people are concerned.

I also see the Muni West UIDs pop up on an encrypted channel.
I see the same for some of the other UIDs seen on the other precinct channels.

I think it was always said that things like car to car would move to an encrypted talkgroup.

Somewhere I found a TG that is likely a City or PW TG assigned to Chesterfield that I see the "Charles" Chesterfield units UIDs come up on.

That one is in the clear and the few times I monitored it, they were indeed Chesterfield cars using it for a more casual car to car channel. But I think if they are discussing something more sensitive, they popup on the encrypted TG.

I need to find those TGs in my radio and make sure they were submitted.

edit: I still monitor all the old county VHF channels and they are silent except some of the old RIOT channels often still have a CWID heard on them. No voice traffic at all though. I also monitor MURS and the FRS or GMRS freqs and nothing there other than kids although I once heard a couple guys up to no good. One was being a lookout while the other was getting ready to steal something from a car in an apartment complex just through the trees from me.

They were found and questioned by a couple Chesterfield officers before they did whatever it was they were going to do. It is a gated apartment complex so they had parked where I lived and walked into the other complex.

Being as I see their UIDs pop up on Slater TGs, I think most are using encrypted TGs and of course cell phones.

Last edited:

rickgans

Premium Subscriber
To Kruser, sorry I do not know how to insert a quote into a message. So commenting on your response to my question: you say you see UIDs pop up on an encrypted channel. Are you saying that on your scanner you see the ID of the actual radio being used show (the Push To Talk ID) up on your scanner display? If yes, then that is not something I am seeing on my 396 and 996 displays. Please explain.

As for hearing Chesterfield cars on other TGs, I just added the Chesterfield Public Works TG and the Chesterfield All TG. I will see what I get with those.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
To Kruser, sorry I do not know how to insert a quote into a message. So commenting on your response to my question: you say you see UIDs pop up on an encrypted channel. Are you saying that on your scanner you see the ID of the actual radio being used show (the Push To Talk ID) up on your scanner display? If yes, then that is not something I am seeing on my 396 and 996 displays. Please explain.

As for hearing Chesterfield cars on other TGs, I just added the Chesterfield Public Works TG and the Chesterfield All TG. I will see what I get with those.

No problems on the quote thing!
Sometimes that just adds unneeded clutter anyway.

I'm bad about trimming down a quoted message I'm replying too.
I forget way more than I remember.
It is nice to do a quote though as it becomes clear who your message was for. Or just do it like you did and put the users name in that you are replying to. That works fine.

Yes, I have mine set to Display UIDs.
If you are using the older 3 or 996T models, you do not have that option but if you have a 3 or 996XT model, then it can display UIDs.
The older T models did not have the option and the XT models do.

Hit Menu and scroll down to Settings.
Then hit enter "E" on Settings and scroll near the bottom of the list. there will be one called "Disp. Unit ID". Highlight that one and hit E and rotate the function know to ON and hit E again and then back out using the Menu button until you are back scanning or searching. UIDs should start displaying on the 2nd large line which is actually in the middle of the display. Mine alternates with the Talkgroup Name while the talkgroup is active on the air.
I also use Display Mode 1 or 2 but rarely mode 3. The UID displays in display modes 1 and 2 on the center line and alternates with the TG name.
In Display mode 3, the frequency shown below the TG name in a smaller font will be replaced with the UID of the radio that is talking at the moment.
When there is no traffic, the frequency will be displayed in Mode 3 on the small line just above the System quick key line.

Edit: I forgot to add that I don't think UIDs will display if the scanner stops briefly on an encrypted talkgroup. They also won't display on real short keyups.
If you want to see UIDs for encrypted talkgroups, you must use a free program called Pro96com and park the radio on the control channel and watch the Pro96com's screen.
They may show on the radio if you Hold on an encrypted TG but don't think they do.
The older T models do not have the CC output either but if you have an XT model, you can enable CC output to the front or rear port on a 996XT or the only port on a 396XT. That setting is also in the same Settings menu just above the GPS settings option.

If you have the XT, you can also use a program like ProScan and maybe Freescan and as long as UID display is On, the UID will also show in those programs log screen and also be written to their log files.

I'm actually getting ready to try and text tag some UIDs as I don't know the character limit. I'm pretty sure the XT series can display a custom tag you would have entered but I'm not sure if that can be done on the XT models. Another user asked me if I can get the character length limit if the scanner can do that. I'd guess if you text tag a UID, the radio would display your custom text but may no longer display the actual numeric UID. I don't know for certain but I'm getting ready to find out!

As far as Chesterfield cars, I don't recall if I was seeing them on either of the two TGs you added or if I'd found them on another unlisted TG.
I've still not had time to look into that. I think it may have been on a TG used by several users and not just Chesterfield cars. And I think it may have not been listed in the DB yet or was listed under a different name than what they were using it for.

I see from your earlier post that you are using the XT models so UID and CC output are both options you should have.
I think UID display may have been added in a firmware update so make sure your radios have the latest firmware.
My 996XTs have version 1.07.03 which should be the latest or current version.

Last edited:

rickgans

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the extensive reply Kruser. Yes I have the XT models (and one 996P2) and have set them up for UID now. That opens up a whole new world of trying to match the UID to the actual units. My assumptions are as follows for this: For police car radios, the UID should remain consistent for specifically used cars. That is, the radio in Chesterfield Sector One car should always have the same UID. For walkies though it won't be consistent. When an officer comes on duty and hits the street, he/she identifies his/her walkie number, which can change from shift to shift and they likely grab the next available walkie as they walk out the door. For fire depts, the UIDs should be much more consistent for walkies as they stay with the station and possibly even the truck or ambulance.

I was able to spend some time monitoring and logging today (while also working) and picked up a pattern on fire, but not on police for the UIDs. I use ARC Pro software and it logs which helps. With more extensive listening one could create a complete list of the truck and walkie UIDs for the Central County 911 vehicles. For police the only convention I could pick up with limited listening was by department. For example Chesterfield leads with UID of 1500, while Ellisville is 1509 and Eureka 1503. West County Dispatch was constant at 111910.

You mention text tagging the UIDs. Have you determined that is possible using one of the programs you use?

If you come across what you described as the possible Chesterfield car to car TGID please let us know. Thanks.

teufler

Something that I have found useful on UID's is when an unknown talk group shows up. I am using Freescan logging so I can research the unit id and see if it has shown up in any known talk groups. Now this doesn't officially tell me what the talk group is but it gives me an idea of what it is. Better than just recording a number..

tkebel

PLease Help

Can someone please tell me someone in the South County area that is a dealer in police scanners that will program my new scanner for me with all my local frequencies for South County, St Charles County and St Clair County, IL. Please Help. Tpkebel@gmail.com

piocked up a bunch of new talk groups on st charles County 800 today.23508 is st charles cty sheriff but 23509, 23512, 23644, 23645, 24020, 24170 picking up address in st charles city which is strange for the county, 24171, 24186, 24220, 24270, 27034, 27035, 27036, 27037, and 27038. St Peters Pd though I still detect a carrier on 853.350, they are silent. One of these codes could be st.peters getting on the st louis p25 system.. 24170 might be st charles city getting on the system.

Any ideas????

K0AZV

Question on programming a Pro-96 for SLATER...

I am trying to program a Pro-96 for the SLATER system for someone. Has anyone in here done that as of yet and what was your experience with it. I have the frequencies programmed in and it receives but I don't see it decoding the talk group ID's.

Thanks,
Max...

tkebel

I have this scanner, Need help programming local

I have the new Uniden BCD996P2 Bearcat Trunk Tracker V

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
MOSWIN/StL Together

Last night I heard a lot of St Louis City transmitting on MOSWIN. I had changed my MOSWIN settings from SCAN to SEARCH. I am figuring that they share the same sys codes/ sys ID (or whatever you call it). I kinda understand that. But I have another scanner that has been SEARCH-ing MOSWIN for a while and don't remember ever hearing StL city on it. Is this a recent change (maybe because of what happened yesterday at Page/Walton and on Kingshighway) or has it always been that way? Feel like I have been asleep behind the wheel for a while.

rickgans

Premium Subscriber
Last night I heard a lot of St Louis City transmitting on MOSWIN. I had changed my MOSWIN settings from SCAN to SEARCH. I am figuring that they share the same sys codes/ sys ID (or whatever you call it). I kinda understand that. But I have another scanner that has been SEARCH-ing MOSWIN for a while and don't remember ever hearing StL city on it. Is this a recent change (maybe because of what happened yesterday at Page/Walton and on Kingshighway) or has it always been that way? Feel like I have been asleep behind the wheel for a while.

My understanding of this is that St. Louis City went to MOSWIN in 2009 (I was also away from trying to monitor them for many years) for police, fire and EMS. I can confirm that fire and EMS are there, but from what I have read on RR, the police went to all encryption after Ferguson issues last summer and you cannot monitor St. Louis City police. I live too far from St. Louis City to hear them, but during a lengthy trip downtown in June I heard fire and EMS fine and every once in a while I heard a police call. This was something I was told happens sporadically. My scanner is programmed for all St. Louis City talk groups.

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
DISREGARD. Brain cramp. BIG BIG. I already had the city stuff locked out on my second scanner. That's why I was hearing them on this one. A self fixing problem.

creech883

So this is a bit of a complex question… I think anyway. So using RR’s database… I live in St. Charles county, but I want to hear …let’s say west central dispatch… so under SLATER I pick the sites near me ( st Charles) and then select WCD. Only I get nothing. Would I need to pick sites in saint louis county? I thought they were all supposed to talk now.
And why do some agencies show up under 'state wide' while others do not? Like Wentzville?
it shows up under a few different options.

does it matter what sites you pick in regaurd to MOSWIN or SLATER?

cathmer

So this is a bit of a complex question… I think anyway. So using RR’s database… I live in St. Charles county, but I want to hear …let’s say west central dispatch… so under SLATER I pick the sites near me ( st Charles) and then select WCD. Only I get nothing. Would I need to pick sites in saint louis county? I thought they were all supposed to talk now.
And why do some agencies show up under 'state wide' while others do not? Like Wentzville?
it shows up under a few different options.

does it matter what sites you pick in regaurd to MOSWIN or SLATER?

Not sure exactly what you're asking... As I understand the Trunked Systems, if you can "hear" any "site" that's transmitting (ie you can receive the control channel, and your scanner has the digital decode capabilities), then you should be able to "dial in" whatever talkgroup you're wanting to listen too.

Here is a link to a really good video that explains how these systems work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NUl4efsyOU At about 11 minutes in is where he talks about Motorola style systems.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.