Sleeping with a scanner on

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCFreak

Premium Subscriber
Hello I am sending out this little Question.

Honestly do you guys and gals sleep with your scanner on.

Do you have dreams and seem to wake up right before a call.

Just checking to see if I am weird or a NUT

PS wife used to hate the scanner now she cant sleep with it off.

I love how she adapted to my Hobbies

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
To answer the initial question. Yes.
2nd question. No. I do sometimes miss the good calls.
3rd question. Probably both, but around here we'll accept you. You're wife has we may as well.
And glad to see you made her a wiser woman. You've accomplished much.

Happy Scanning....

Hello I am sending out this little Question.

Just checking to see if I am weird or a NUT

I love how she adapted to my Hobbies

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Back in the early/mid 90s I was a member of a volunteer fire department, and they did not have a pager to issue me for a few weeks. I left the scanner locked on the county-wide fire dispatch channel and was able to pick out the calls for my station in my sleep and wake up just by the tones and before they actually said my station number.

Not bad when you think about the 15-20 departments they paged on that channel :D

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Yes, two of them actually.

Dreams, sometimes. Wake up before a call, sometimes. Not related to each other.

Mine has never "hated" having it on and can still sleep either way. But she is a very sound sleeper and does not wake up easily. I will often wake up when there are major incidents.

jrplmil

yes 3 of them we live in such a small place that when the fire or ambulance is needed they tell who it is rather than an address for the whole county. My wife is worse than me. she has to have it on and a lot of times she tells me what happened in the night. its a great hobby

car2back

I used to do it all the time when I was a firefighter. Even got to where I could sleep through medical calls and only wake up for fire tones :D

WX5JCH

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
after 32 years of being called out for fires/EMS, of couse I listen 24/7. My old stations tones still wake me up. I still carry a Moto radio at work too.

Chaos703

Because I sleep with it on, my wife often referrers to her as the "other woman." So I named my scanner accordingly — Scandra. I keep trying to get them talked into a threesome. Scandra would be willing to give it a go but my wife won't have any of it. I think she's afraid of Scandra's 10-inch whip.

I was listening the night the Sheriff Woodrell was killed in Pawnee Co. I had dreams about that but never woke up.

SCPD

QRT
I use an earpiece. Many a time I am completely asleep and I hear an officer in a foot pursuit.....and BOOM i'm awake! Wife has never liked my hobby!!! I say to her it's better than chasing skirts or any other elicit activity!

Last edited:

FireMedic712

Couldnt sleep without it, there's really not to many moments of my life where I dont have a radio with me. I monitor all our bordering VHF equipped depts on my pro-91, and tfd and owasso get monitored on my pro-97. And I always have my VHF handheld and XTS with me in the car scanning lol. I sleep through things that arent important or interesting. Girlfriends have hated it over the years though, I can tell you that. Not very popular with the ladies.

jleverin

Back when I was a teenager and got my first scanner, I used to sleep with the thing on all night and it didn't bother me. I tried doing that one time recently when hubby was out of town, I had the scanner up in the bedroom with me and was listening and fell asleep. The darned thing kept waking me up all night when the tones would go off. I decided that wasn't the greatest idea and never again left it on when I was going to sleep. I wake up feeling REALLY BAD like I didn't sleep all night if I do.

n5usr

Premium Subscriber
I can't do it anymore. Have enough trouble getting to sleep in the first place, and staying asleep can sometimes be a problem too. (Once I hit the deepest levels of sleep, it'd take a bomb to wake me, but getting there can sometimes take hours!)

Besides, I hardly notice the scanner when I'm *awake* unless I'm intentionally listening! Can't count the number of times someone is over and comments on something they just heard on the scanner, and I wasn't even aware it was making any noise - let alone what the content of the call was.

steveh552

Because I sleep with it on, my wife often referrers to her as the "other woman." So I named my scanner accordingly — Scandra. I keep trying to get them talked into a threesome. Scandra would be willing to give it a go but my wife won't have any of it. I think she's afraid of Scandra's 10-inch whip.

Thats the funniest thing iv read on these boards in quite sometime, LOL.

rpgbigman

http://www.davee.com/scanrec/
I use this scanner Recorder at night works Great.
works good on the 996T with the Green Plug in in the back I can Turn The Audio very low and the Scanner Recorder picks it up fine.
I usually have Breakfast and listin the call calls I missed at night.

Chaos703

Thats the funniest thing iv read on these boards in quite sometime, LOL.

Thank you, Steve. Ya know, there's nothing more disappointing than going to the effort to craft a brilliant line like that only to have it totally ignored. So I'm very grateful to you for mentioning it.

steveh552

Thank you, Steve. Ya know, there's nothing more disappointing than going to the effort to craft a brilliant line like that only to have it totally ignored. So I'm very grateful to you for mentioning it.

Not a problem. My line is "I need to use what mother nature gave me before father time takes it away".

tommyscan

Premium Subscriber
Couldnt see sleeping without it!! I find it relaxing and the tones dont bother me. In fact the more the merrier!!! The only thing I hate is when the unit locks up on an intermod frequency. This means I need to lean over to the night table,groggy-eyed to lock it out!!!!!!!!!!

wingman_1

sleep with scanner on

When i got my bery first scanner yrs ago, it was never turned off, now since i got back into it still stays on 24/7

SABRE46

My fire pager goes into night mode and the scanner gets turned off. Only calls I want to wake up for are my departments. The older I get the more I value my sleep...:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.