Sleeping with your Scanner?? 'Fess up, now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kskarma

How many RR members sleep with a scanner running at their bed? More than one scanner?? How long has this been going on?....and have you sought professional treatment for this habit? >GRINS<

I confess that I have a scanner on my headboard and oftentimes will leave it running overnight...turned down to a low level, it is almost like 'white noise'... And..NO, I have not gotten any 'help' for this.....! Thanks for your concern....

jobes

Feed Provider
I have a scanner(s) in each and every room running 24/7 and some have never even been turned off. Always ready to be turned on and never complains.:D

Last edited:

georgew0819

Although I used to have one in the bedroom in the past, I don't now. But more than once my wife has said I should put a bed by my scanners, radio and computers since I spend so much time with them!

rcvmo

Just one Moto Alert monitor set here 24/7 on EMD/DHS channel set to go off with Outdoor warning sirens. I used to have a scanner on before i got married..........GOT MARRIED!!
rcvmo

AnnakaSpoilt

I have one in every room. Always on 24/7. and if one gets turned off or way down they know it hehe. I have not yet gotten help either. But I always get calls when friends and family hear sirens or see police or fire going somewhere in a hurry. I always know whats going on. Call me nosey. hehe

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
You bet! The other ham gear gets turned down in the morning when I get to bed for the day (night shifter),but NEVER the scanner!!! The lady of my life listens too!:lol:
n9zas

OldDeadOne

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I have one turned on in my computer room(Pro 106) and I have one turned on in my bedroom(Pro 2096) and my wife never complains(she's deaf),but she turns mine off in the bedroom when she is cleaning the room lol.

kskarma

So far I have not seen any reference to "My EX-wife...yada, yada...!" I think that speaks highly for the tolerance of many spouses...!! Maybe they feel that if having Scanner Sickness is the ONLY fault of their mate, they can live with it....!!

OldDeadOne

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Even though my wife is deaf the previous scanner difficulties I had my wife knew how frustrated I was with it,and was very happy when I had bought my Pro 106(of course I bought her something equal in value :p) and saw how happy I was it. I dim the light at night so she can sleep peacefully while I listen while I sleep too.

bluefox2163

night bird

sometimes i get up late at night and turn it on just to see if anything interesting is going on,or if i hear the cops fly by code 3 i quickly get it on,more than likely its the french model club or elmers bar here in newbritain,or an accident up on the highway...

Gadgetman728

Premium Subscriber
There is a Pro-96 on my head board, a pro-164 next to the computer. There are 2 scanners in my workshop, a pro-95 and a pro-67. I've had a pro-2006 programmed to our local pd & city freqs.only ever since I moved out here. Finally, there is an old bearcat bc210xlt in the back bedroom programmed to mainly local freqs. too.
The ONLY time these are turned off, is when the power goes out.Wichita gets kind of exciting after midnight & on weekends, especially in the summer.
I've been listening to scanners constantly since I was 12 years old, thats a long time, lol.

AZMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
I usually sleep with two or three of them on. One is searching the 220MHz ham band which has very little activity in my area but when it is active it's usually a friend on the radio looking for someone to talk with. A second monitor is usually sitting on the input of the local PD dispatch channel with the close call feature enabled for other strong signals in my immediate neighborhood. The antenna on this radio is usually removed to insure only very close & strong radio transmissions will be heard. A third radio is often on during bad weather in the snow season and is sitting on DPS dispatch with the volume set low. Other radios are available in the bedroom if needed in addition to the normal radio room in the dining room featuring about twelve radios and other equipment.

ilgrant

OK...I'll fess up. I do have a scanner turned on by the bed.

There was one summer night where I woke up and I heard an echo. Took me a few seconds to realize that I was hearing an officer on the scanner and he was just outside by condo building trying to arrest someone! Talk about watching 'Cops' in realtime!

NYRHKY94

KsKarma:

I want to THANK YOU for starting this thread. It has been very therapeutic! As soon as I get home tonight, I'm showing this entire thread to my wife. Her constant claims that my scanner addiction is unique to me has been DEBUNKED. I am NOT ALONE :D

My bedside equipment consists of a Uniden BC370CRS clock-radio scanner, along with my newest toy - a Logitech Squeezebox Radio programmed with about 50 live feeds from RR. The rest of the shack remains downstairs.

I fall asleep every single night listening to the "sweet sounds" of Police, Fire & EMS from all over the country. Oh yeah, lest I forget......a pair of headphones is REQUIRED (LOL).

P.S. No reason to seek help that I can see :)

Last edited:

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
You don't want my scanners to sleep alone do you?

Of course I have two running in the bedroom 24/7. At first my GF said it would negatively affect my sleep, but now she likes listening as well (she is a very sound sleeper). In addition to the 2 running I usually have a 3rd scanner at hand for incidents if they should break out, and they usually do.

Status
Not open for further replies.