SLERS switchover date, May 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mozilla

M/A Com is expecting a May switchover date for the next phase from Motorola to EDACS. So enjoy the listening while you got it because it is drawing near. This should cover from Daytona thru to the South ... and as with any notice of this nature it is tentative.

Mozilla

Switchover

Well usually probably not, but in this case yes.... they are doing the installs in the vehicles and a schedule for training is being set right now. Based on this and several other things, I do see a May turn on date....

wbswetnam

Whole reason for MA/COM.... hmmmm...

Just curious... did the state of Florida decide to dump their APCO-25 Motorola system for the MA/COM Open Sky with ESK specifically to lock out scanner listeners? It seems that the decision to switch over to the MA/COM system was made right after Uniden and Radio Shack announced plans to offer digital-capable scanners for sale to the public... or, was this just circumstance? I understand the reason for security, but was it really worth the billion dollars they have spent on SLERS just so people couldn't monitor their public servants?

Some things just make me go "Hmmmmm...."

pslcrabber

Winter Park PD is going digital encrypted.
The Florida SLERS system in East Central Florida is fully active and the Motorola 6C29 system is gone. By the end of May all of Florida will be on the system.
Rumor has it that Orange County will be going digital some time in June, possibly encrypted.

dic

You know Barney, I was thinking the same thing.

Since the switchover, I have driven to Orlando and Vero Beach, and don't miss the FHP at all. I admit I am much more aware of the aircraft zones on the highway, but other than that---nothing.

I have noticed that there are very few FHP units on the road.
I wondered why they were spending money to encrypt their system, they are the next to worst State Police force in terms of salary in the country. (South Carolina is the worst).
I guess the Governor must be getting kickbacks from MA/COM.

in many many years of listening, I can't remember hearing one trasmission that NEEDED to be encrypted.

Coming from the Northeast, and having spent years monitoring the Massachusetts State Police and the New Jersey State Police, I can say that the FHP did not even come in the top 40 of interesting states to monitor.

Maybe they are encrypted because they don't want the people to know how boring they are.

Dic

Mozilla

Slers

Well. I was user on the old system, and while a majority of it was unencrypted, there where some talk groups in the metro areas and down South that did run encryption, most of the time, and where quite interesting. As to the scanning side, I do miss hearing about the accidents on the FHP side.. the rest was boring, and I do miss FWC, some of the calls where interesting, but its not that big of a deal. Some of the talkgroups which where not listed on the RR database include IMPACT, MLTF, JTF, and a few others, however they usually ran full time encryption. And I do not believe the entire system needed to be encrypted, only certain talkgroups. We have migrated back to VHF and the Local counties systems...

harrisjt

Premium Subscriber
good news is if you are the sys admin for your county or a communications director you can get a SLERS radio. at least our county did but its just one.

pslcrabber

I am under the impression that FHP went to incrypted because they don't want people to know how few troopers are on the road these days.

I drove to West Palm the other night from my home in PSL and I didn't see one FHP there and back.

n4voxgill

Silent Key
FHP is just one of the users of this system. There are several investigative agencies, especially FDLE that had as much say as FHP on what the system would use. FDLE investigates other law enforcement agencies regularly.

You can even go on line and see what events FHP is working all over the state.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Mozilla said:
Well , i believe the Moto system is completely off the air now.

I think you're right; the control channels are gone. They didn't waste any time turning off the old Moto system. :(

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
pslcrabber said:
I am under the impression that FHP went to incrypted because they don't want people to know how few troopers are on the road these days.

I drove to West Palm the other night from my home in PSL and I didn't see one FHP there and back.

If you go the SLER's website you would see the committee the oversees the systems operation. There are a lot more users than just FHP. http://eits.myflorida.com/slers/#jtf_board

Mark

321cm

W4KRR said:
Mostly, but they're leasing space for other users as well. There are a few counties and cities that have signed up to use the system. There's a list of them somewhere.
As of May 2006, there are nine approved SLERS third-party subscribers:

* Baker County Sheriff's Office
* Franklin County Sheriff's Office
* Glades County Sheriff's Office
* Gulf County's Sheriff's Office, Emergency Medical Service and Port St. Joe Police Department
* Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office (interoperability)
* Social Security Administration's Office of Investigations in Florida
* Sumter County Sheriff's Office (interoperability)
* U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
* Wakulla County Sheriff's Office

Joint Task Force Agencies

Agencies are included in the 800 MHz system by statutory reference (s. 282.1095, F.S.) or by acceptance into the Governor's Enterprise-wide Sharing of Resources Model. Both categories of members receive equipment and services as provided by the M/A-COM contract. The statutory agencies are:

* Department of Business and Professional Regulation / Division of Alcoholic Beverages and Tobacco
* Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles / Division of Florida Highway Patrol
* Department of Law Enforcement / Criminal Investigations and Forensic Science Services
* Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission
* Department of Environmental Protection / Division of Law Enforcement
* Department of Corrections
* Department of Financial Services / Division of State Fire Marshal
* Department of Transportation / Motor Carrier Compliance Office

These agencies are statutorily referenced to comprise the Joint Task Force on State Agency Law Enforcement Communications (a.k.a. JTF). Under s. 282.1095(4)(b), F.S., the Joint Task Force may authorize other state agencies to use the 800 MHz system.

Other agencies that fall under the umbrella of the Governor's Enterprise-wide Sharing agreement include:

* Department of Law Enforcement / Division of Capitol Police
* Department of Financial Services / Division of Insurance Fraud
* Attorney General / Medicaid Fraud Control Unit
* Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services / Division of Agricultural Law Enforcement
* Department of Juvenile Justice
* Department of Military Affairs / Florida National Guard
* Department of Lottery
* Florida Senate Sergeant at Arms
* Florida House of Representatives Sergeant at Arms
* Florida School for the Deaf and the Blind
* Supreme Court of Florida, Office of the Marshal

Status
Not open for further replies.