slight frequency confusion (departure/approach)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jinro

Hey guys, I'm new around here. I've got an old JD100 scanner back from when I was a kid and have gotten a new interest in it since I moved closer to an airport, but I'm a little confused about figuring out what frequencies are being used.

My local airport has one E/W runway and three N/S runways, and the frequencies listed here are all for East or West departures, or East and West approaches. This doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, since most of the traffic here is North or South, and no North/South departure/approach frequencies are listed.

So, what frequency would be used for N/S departures/approaches (airport code is KMEM).

Also, elsewhere I saw the frequencies listed with numbers "176-355" or "356-175" listed next to the frequencies. What are these numbers? I initially thought they were compass headings, but that doesn't make sense to me either, since the numbers don't match up with the runway headings.

DickH

Hey guys, I'm new around here. I've got an old JD100 scanner back from when I was a kid and have gotten a new interest in it since I moved closer to an airport, but I'm a little confused about figuring out what frequencies are being used.

My local airport has one E/W runway and three N/S runways, and the frequencies listed here are all for East or West departures, or East and West approaches. This doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, since most of the traffic here is North or South, and no North/South departure/approach frequencies are listed.

So, what frequency would be used for N/S departures/approaches (airport code is KMEM).

Also, elsewhere I saw the frequencies listed with numbers "176-355" or "356-175" listed next to the frequencies. What are these numbers? I initially thought they were compass headings, but that doesn't make sense to me either, since the numbers don't match up with the runway headings.

Did you try searching for "KMEM Frequencies" ? I just did and found every single one in about 5 seconds.

jinro

That wasn't my question; I have the KMEM frequencies. This is where I'm confused:

119.1 West Approach
125.8 and 126.05 East Approach
124.65 West Departure
124.15 East Departure

As you can see, all of the frequencies are labeled as being either East or West. However, the majority of the runways, as well as the predominant winds here, run North/South. Where are the frequencies for North/South Departure and North/South Approach?

ampulman

They are the (approx) headings for runway 18/36. The difference is (about) 180 degrees.

You can see the actual info at: http://www.airnav.com/airport/KMEM . Scroll down to the runway.

nd5y

They are compass headings from the airport, not runway headings. The "-" means "through".
The first example on Airnav is MEMPHIS APPROACH: 119.1(176-355)
That means aircraft coming in from the west of the airport (176 deg. through 355 deg.) use 119.1.

Runway numbers always have a "/" (slash) and are in 10 degree increments, not the exact compass heading.

Last edited:

jinro

They are compass headings from the airport, not runway headings. The "-" means "through".
The first example on Airnav is MEMPHIS APPROACH: 119.1(176-355)
That means aircraft coming in from the west of the airport (176 deg. through 355 deg.) use 119.1.

So, if I'm understanding this correctly, the (176-355) and (356-175) basically splits the compass into two halves? And any aircraft coming from S through NW would be under the (176-355) area? Likewise, any aircraft coming from N through SE would fall under (356-175)?

Status
Not open for further replies.