Slight shack update/Tower SCORE........

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalanalog

Old shack info was here.
http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87579
I think i deleted the pics by mistake, so nothing is showing up on the old link.

So here we go again .

Patrolman Pro-52 (8 channel crystal)
BC 560XLT (16 channel, in my car,and not shown)
BC210 (10 channel)
Pro-57 (10 channel)
Pro-2024(60 channel)
Pro-2053(300 channel)
BC 120XLT (100 channel portable)
Pro-62 (200 channel portable)
Cobra 32 XLR (CB Radio)
Micronta (power supply)
Micronta (triple meter for CB)

And the shack looks like this.

100_2949.jpg

100_2943.jpg

100_2944.jpg

100_2946.jpg

And this is from the back, which most don't show the MASS of cables and wiring involved
lol.......

100_2948.jpg

O.k., Now. This is the Current setup of antennas
Yes it's a bit sloppy but i did not have much to work with so
i did the best i could with what i had....How many of you have done the same
Don't need a fancy setup of antenna's to listen.

So here is the Current antenna setup.

US Navy Ship Whip (got this from my brother) - 31' to the top (used only for 39.000 mhz)
Scantenna - highest point = 25'
Old Radio Shack Discone (been using this for over 10 years) - 22' to the top

As you can see in the pics, i am surrounded by tall tree's, and this setup still gives me
a fairly decent reception.

100_2850.jpg

100_2847.jpg

100_2843.jpg

100_2841.jpg

100_2839.jpg

100_2847-1.jpg

Now, on to the good stuff............

I did some computer work for a friend, and when he stopped over to pic up the computer he say's to me "i know your into all the radio struff" would you be interested in a tower?
Of course i said......Hell Yes....what type and how tall......lol
He works for the local street department and seen this tower in the back yard of a Vacant house and contacted the village admin and they said the tower would be hauled off for scrap if it was not removed soon.

So i went to look at the tower and LOVED it.....

8 Pcs @ 20' each, Commercial Tower, Galvanized,2" O.D. pipe with bottom pivot bearing.

I was in heaven.

So i borrowed a truck and not this Gold Mine is in my back yard, Just waiting for good weather.

A couple of the pieces are damamged (see pics) but i am going to shoot for 100' and turn the bottom pivot into the top.

Please see my Gold Mine of FREE tower.

100_2884.jpg

100_2878.jpg

100_2879.jpg

100_2880.jpg

100_2881.jpg

100_2882.jpg

100_2885.jpg

100_2886.jpg

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
The shag throws me back 30+ years. Otherwise, nice setup . Very clean for all that you have, at least if you look at it from the front. Mine looks the same as the back of yours, but no matter which direction heh.

Definitely handy to come upon that tower. Glad to hear of your good furtune!

Mike

N1BHH

The tower sections are a great find. Be sure to scrape that old paint off and be sure you have some good heavy duty hardware to put it all back together. A good coat or two of primer will do the trick, then paint it up nice. Be sure you have plenty of bodies around to lift that and a real solid base. If you know someone with a gin pole, that's a plus. You'll have to put it up one section at a time to be safe. When you get everything set up, post some pictures. I know it'll be a project, so don't rush.

ScanDaBands

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Cobra 32XLR - talk about a classic.............audio city with that D104 - nice choice.

CharlesDom

Very nice clean set up. I wish mine was as neat as yours.

WD4JKH said:
Did you really attach that antenna with white zip ties??

Yeah I noticed the white zip ties too. Are you sure that's safe? Will it stand up to strong gusty winds and the cold?

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Great shack! On the zip ties, they're going to hold up for long. Either cold, wind or the Sun is going to break them in short order. Get those fixed asap.

On the tower, don't use that section that's bent. Just settle for a tower that is 10 feet shorter. That one area is a huge liability issue if that tower were to ever damage anything or worse yet hurt or kill anyone. And as was said earlier, make sure you scrape all the paint off and inspect it for more damage. Take pictures of the whole install so you can show them to inspectors if they have a haertache over it. Awesome find on the tower!

digitalanalog said:

digitalanalog

Yes, The zip ties are holding the RS Discone to the mast.
And has been for over one year now, they are not going to break,
There is a big difference between good Zip's and JUNK zip's.

I know some will disagree and that's o.k.

But it's only holding a Discone that wieght's next to nothing and
there is little to no wind load on this this type of antenna.

Could the zip's break and send the discone down to the ground. NOPE

The other zips shown are for holding the coax to the pole and they would stop the antenna from falling far. Had the antenna for so long,just about all the radials are bent, so it's done
it's job for a long time.

Best install..........NO......, but sometimes you have to do what it takes.

As far as tower concerns go.

Yes, all pieces will be stripped of the old paint and inspected.
the damaged piece will not be disgaurded. I will cut the damaged
section out and use it for the tilt end of the tower.

I am planning a 5' x 5' x 5' pad for mounting and a 4 point guy wire
attached at 30' 60' and 90', so i am sure it will be stable.

Thanks to all for the comments, and concerns.
I appreciate them all.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Talk about a score... Lucky you.. Nobody else has said it, so I will. GROUNDING.. Use plenty... There are several schools of thought about grounding, so research will be tantamount. Go with what feels right for your situation, then add a bit more.. ;-)

I agree with the others, this post will definitely need a revisit with updated pics...

Airdorn

Awesome find, and a nice shack!

Be sure to cut-down all the surrounding trees with a chainsaw so that you get better reception.

N5TWB

Interesting shack with a retro theme...think I heard the refrain from "Time Warp" while looking at the pics. Good to see the oldies but goodies still performing.

Now to the serious stuff: while I am not an engineer nor do I play one on TV, I am familiar with an engineering concept called "moment" or "bending moment" being the location where a load is transferred from a structural element to a point of attachment. Notice that I wrote "a point", not the three different attachment points on your current set-up. Everytime you change from one vertical material to another, you create a moment where load forces must transfer in order to remain vertical or to return to the vertical. This is where the concept of "weakest link in the chain" comes into play and the result is usually catastrophic failure of some sort. You have been fortunate so far but I would not count on that continuing into the future.

While your tower find does appear to be, as you put it, a gold mine on the ground but you should also ask yourself why it had been abandoned. There may be a very good reason it was never re-erected. The points made by other posters about careful inspection should be heeded. Additionally, I think you may be missing some critical parts related to the junction between sections and I don't mean just the bolts. I think those sections are designed to have an internal connecting sleeve as well as the bolts through the flanges. If you can find a name somewhere on those tower sections, web research would be advised. Additionally, if you live in a town with building codes, engineered drawings and specs will be required for a building permit to erect the tower.

As my old junior high principal used to say, a word to the wise is sufficient...please proceed carefully.

digitalanalog

Yes, I will indeed pay close attention upon inspection and cleaning of all the tower sections.

As well, i have looked at all the sections for a mfg, and cannot locate one, althought it may show up after cleaning all the sections.

also, i have been looking all over the web for tower using this type of setup (triangular mounting) and i have not seen anything yet, but i will continue my search, so if anyone know's of a brand, or a even picture on the web that i may contact someone, please post it here.

Believe me, i do not want this structure to fail, so all procausions will be taken.

Thanks again to all that have commented and for all your concerns.

Cut the Tree's down for better reception........Hell no....:) tower will be above
them and i moved in the country because of the tree's, i would never cut one down.

Thanks again.

scrotumola

is that a pivot bearing or a ceramic insulator for am broadcast ( whereas the entire tower was the radiating element? )

kd7nmn

scrotumola said:
is that a pivot bearing or a ceramic insulator for am broadcast ( whereas the entire tower was the radiating element? )

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. That looks more like an insulator or rotator than a pivot base. I believe what you think is the bottom is actually the top.

SCPD

QRT
Flexi-Cuffs make for GOOD zip ties!

Why does the Discone lack the center whip?

The scanner collection is Incredible, the Old scanners sure are nice, Love the 70's look with the Shag Carpet, bet you got some good 70's Soft rock playing through the back round on an Old turntable huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.