SLO County EMS Unit Numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirk

DB Admin
Database Admin
Is anyone familiar with the current unit numbering scheme for ambulances in SLO County? I hadn't listened to them in a while, and heard Medic 93 running a call yesterday. This isn't familiar to me.

The old info I have is:

Station 81 (Cambria): Medic 11, Medic 12, Medic 13*
Station 82A (Paso Robles): Medic 21
Station 82B (Templeton): Medic 22, Medic 23*, Medic 25**
Station 83 (Morro Bay): Medic 31
Station 84 (Atascadero): Medic 41, Medic 42*
Station 85A (San Luis North): Medic 51, Medic 53*, Medic 55*
Station 85B (San Luis South): Medic 52
Station 86 (Arroyo Grande): Medic 61, Medic 62, Medic 63*
Station 87 (Nipomo): Medic 71, Medic 72*

* = As needed, not normally staffed
** = Day Car, usually 8am-5pm

If we can get this updated (as obviously Medic 93 doesn't fit there anywhere), I'll put it in the wiki.

Thanks!

Kingscup

Feed Provider
I don't have an answer but maybe a couple of guesses. Back in the 1980s, there was a guy who started an ambulance company and SLOCo EMS allowed him to provide ALS at special events he was able to book. His radio identifier was medic 81. He did not respond to 9-1-1 calls. It only lasted a year or two. I doubt this is the case today,

Another option would be that Cambria or SLAS started a community paramedic program where expanded scope paramedics respond non-emergency to people who call 9-1-1 frequently for chronic health problems among other things. I doubt this is it but it is always possible.

Also heard medic 91 the other day. Since unit numbering is tied similarly to SLOSO, I wonder if there is any clues from SO numbering.

Kirk

DB Admin
Database Admin
Based on monitoring, it sounds like they've re-numbered the day car (25, 55) units. Heard Medic 92 take an LD (long distance transfer) and 91 running calls.

I remember Special Services ambulance more than I'd like to. Man, that was a long time ago.

oldschoolamb

Premium Subscriber
San Luis Ambulance CCT

Don't know if it has changed, San Luis Ambulance used to operate a CCT, Critical Care Transport unit, in San Luis Obispo, is the 90 unit? Cal Fire also operates a EMT staffed ambulance in Carrizo Plain but it is Station 42.

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
According to a source within SLA, 91/92/93 are 12-hour cars. They are not tied to a particular area (thus the 9). They are "flex" cars, covering areas that need extra coverage.

According to my source:
91 covers SLO (6 to 6)
92 covers Paso Robles (10 to 10)
93 covers Atascadero (12 to 12)

Kirk

DB Admin
Database Admin
The CCT unit is part time, and would probably use a 9x designator now. They didn't have a different numbering scheme to indicate whether the RN was on board or not, and don't appear to have changed that.

I don't think Cal Fire's BLS unit does transports. I'm not really clear what the purpose of that unit is. At least for a while, they had a medic on Engine 42 a few days a week during the construction of the solar plants. I presume that coverage has ended.

I'd be great to see the County fund additional Cal Fire medics, especially at some of the more rural locations due to long ambulance response times, but as far as I know only Nipomo (20 & 22) have full time medic coverage.

Kirk

DB Admin
Database Admin
Forgot about Los Osos. My brain still thinks of them as South Bay Fire. (I'm old)

div3405

Feed Provider
EMS SLO County

The "90" are extra shifts units during busy times. They can move all over the SLO county.

Kingscup

Feed Provider
I don't think Cal Fire's BLS unit does transports. I'm not really clear what the purpose of that unit is. At least for a while, they had a medic on Engine 42 a few days a week during the construction of the solar plants. I presume that coverage has ended.

The ambulance was bought by the PCF company at station 42. I am not clear on why they bought it but it is used for rehab on fire incidents or certain heat related medical emergencies to keep patients out of the sun and cool them down. It is not used for transport.

Kirk

DB Admin
Database Admin
Makes sense. It takes a long time to get a transport ambulance out there and it does get blazing hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.