SDS100/SDS200: Slow Scan Rate

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjm2001

Is it me or did one of the last two firmware updates slow down the scan rate on the SDS 100. My SDS 200 seems to be good after the last update. The SDS 200 will scan through the same favorites file at least two to three times faster than the SDS 100.

Reactions: RRR

bdp278

Feed Provider
I know after each update the scanner reboots & all of the department & site quick keys I may have turned off come back up turned on. Perhaps you’re scanning all your programmed departments & sites, which slows the scan rate down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ubbe

Check that the filter setting in the profile aren't set to auto, as that will slow down scanning 2-3 times when it automaticly checks each filter setting with each frequency change to determine which one that will give the best result.

/Ubbe

hightime

Yes I have noticed that also, but only one scan list does it. My list four, aircraft , slows way down. It only does it if I have scan list 25, Business, turn on.. Turn 25 off and list 4 returns to normal fast scan speed. Hoping it gets fixed on the next update.

Ravenfalls

Premium Subscriber
My BC785 scans faster than SDS. It's so slow I can read the 1st 3 #of frequency. On latest firmware & nothing set auto

jpb

Premium Subscriber
I have the same issue on my SDS100 since upgrading to FW 1.10.00 and Sub 1.02.01. In conventional scan, I can literally see the entire frequency before it moves to the next one. Global Filter is set to "off" and all conventional channels are set to "Global". What am I missing?

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Same here, all filter settings set to "global" (which is "none") and it scans really slow. Remarkedly slow on conventional NXDN freqs

woodpecker

I found with the SDS100E with firmware 1.10.05 that if you have a DMR One Frequency System in a fav list then everything scans at about 1/3 normal speed once that system has been scanned, even conventional systems.

Once the DMR One Frequency System has been scanned the only way to get the scan speed back is to power off and on again, disabling it after scanning it does not recover the speed.

I fed this back via the EU distibutor and the response was that its a "necessary design to ensure reliable capture of DMR OFT"

Why would you slow down the scan speed of every other system, surely only the DMR One Frequency system needs to be slowed down?

Is this "feature" the same in US models? Is this what causes the 2/3 reduction in scan speed?

hightime

I found with the SDS100E with firmware 1.10.05 that if you have a DMR One Frequency System in a fav list then everything scans at about 1/3 normal speed once that system has been scanned, even conventional systems.

Once the DMR One Frequency System has been scanned the only way to get the scan speed back is to power off and on again, disabling it after scanning it does not recover the speed.

I fed this back via the EU distibutor and the response was that its a "necessary design to ensure reliable capture of DMR OFT"

Why would you slow down the scan speed of every other system, surely only the DMR One Frequency system needs to be slowed down?

Is this "feature" the same in US models? Is this what causes the 2/3 reduction in scan speed?
I just went thru my systems and took out all the one frequency DMR systems and now my sds 100 is back to a quicker can rate. It was taking 4 seconds to scan 32 conventional channels. Now it is less than a sec. I was waiting for a new firmware and hoping it would fix it. Thanks for posting your find.

woodpecker

I just went thru my systems and took out all the one frequency DMR systems and now my sds 100 is back to a quicker can rate. It was taking 4 seconds to scan 32 conventional channels. Now it is less than a sec. I was waiting for a new firmware and hoping it would fix it. Thanks for posting your find.

I don't think anyone had indentified what caused it, as soon as I saw the scan speed drop I knew something wasn't right and went through various settings until I found it, isn't this what beta testers are supposed to do?

Uniden Japan (via the EU distrubutor) don't seem to be accepting this is a bug so perhaps Uniden USA can comment?

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
One trick I found to speeding up SDS or HP scanning, at least for trunking, is to ENSURE that you have the active or default control channel at the TOP of the control channel list when programming. If you watch an SDS or HP scan across a trunked favorites list, you will see it scan down the control channel frequencies on the display until it finds the control channel and starts receiving. If you put the active at the #1 spot, you will see as it scans across and back to that system/site, it will display the control channel right away and there is no delay in it beginning to decode and receive talkgroup traffic.

Paul

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
One trick I found to speeding up SDS or HP scanning, at least for trunking, is to ENSURE that you have the active or default control channel at the TOP of the control channel list when programming.

Paul

It is not necessary to program all the control channels for each site, just the primary one (RED), and possibly the alternate one (BLUE) which comes into play if the primary one is down. The rest of them you can ignore.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Yeah, I had the single red CC in my 996's before, then one day, they used one of the blue alternates and the scanner was deaf. On the 996's, it was easy enough to scroll back past channel 1 to lock or unlock CC's, but not so on the newer scanners.

Paul

RRR

Premium Subscriber
I just did that, and it dang sure does! I hope those filter settings will prove to be good for reception, though.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
It is not necessary to program all the control channels for each site, just the primary one (RED), and possibly the alternate one (BLUE) which comes into play if the primary one is down. The rest of them you can ignore.

On the other hand, the situation could exist where a frequency could become the control channel, even though it wasn't designated as such. After all, it's human entry of the data and perfection is not guaranteed. There is no harm with programming all frequencies associated with a site. Memory for Favorites Lists is very generous as compared to previous scanner models where you did have to be careful on how many things were added.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
On the other hand, the situation could exist where a frequency could become the control channel, even though it wasn't designated as such. After all, it's human entry of the data and perfection is not guaranteed. There is no harm with programming all frequencies associated with a site. Memory for Favorites Lists is very generous as compared to previous scanner models where you did have to be careful on how many things were added.

That's why many of us if not most of us download/update new data from RR/Uniden every week.

W6KRU

The control channels have to be programmed into the subscriber radios. If the control channel was changed, every radio in the fleet has to be touched. This wouldn't be a small task for most departments.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
The control channels have to be programmed into the subscriber radios. If the control channel was changed, every radio in the fleet has to be touched. This wouldn't be a small task for most departments.

Absolutely. My concern isn't if the system does some reprogramming, rather it is whether the correct control channels are reported to the RR database, or whether a mistake was made when entering the RR data? Is there a frequency listed as a voice frequency, but really happens to be an alternate control channel frequency?

If you go back in posts on this topic, you'll see Uniden recommends programming all frequencies, rather than just those noted as control channels. When you download the full database, it includes all frequencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.