Slow Scaning PSR-800

Status
Not open for further replies.

ND3U

Montgomery County, PA Broadcastify stream
Feed Provider
New Hanover Township, Montgomery County, PA
Is it just me or does the PSR-800 seem to scan real slow? I have a PSR-500 and it flies compared to the 800. Is there any way to speed up the scan rate?

Second, I have everything pretty much set up and working for the Delaware Valley (PA Counties). When in scan mode it seems to miss transmissions on the trunked systems or not pick them up at all. I have both my 500 and 800 sitting right next to each other with a higher gain antenna on the 800. The 500 will stop at an active talkgroup where the 800 doesn't stop scanning. Anyone have any ideas?

I primarily scan Southwest Montgomery County PD and Fire and EMS along with Berks County Fire/EMS so its not a whole lot of frequencies it needs to scan.

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
Do you watch it?

While it's scanning, have you watched it to see if it's getting stuck on any other channels?

I've noticed that mine will pickup a lot of interference on vhf channels (when enabled) and stick on them, and I use the RS 800 antenna.

Also, are you scanning all the exact same systems/frequencies on both units?

It's also kind of "unfair" to compare 2 different units even though they are the same company.

I have a 996, using the stock back-of-set antenna, completely collapsed, and an 800, with said RS antenna, inside my house, going at the same time scanning the exact same things (local digital trunked) in the same system and they both are pretty much picking up at the same time.

ND3U

Montgomery County, PA Broadcastify stream
Feed Provider
New Hanover Township, Montgomery County, PA
It does pick up a lot of interference, especially while scanning the 800 mhz trunk system here in Montgomery County. My 500 doesn't have that problem, even with a roof mounted antenna.

Yes, I am scanning the exact same systems/frequencies on both units.

It may seem "unfair" to compare two different units from the same company but just because one is a newer model doesn't necessarily make it better. The only reason I bought the 800 was for the TDMA 2 (Phase 2) for Berks County (if and when they ever switch over). I'm not bashing the 800 don't get me wrong. I've only had it for 3 days so far.

The scan rate on the 800 seems mighty slow compared to the 500. Is it me or do others agree?

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
As far as scan speed, the PSR 800 is not the fastest, compared to say the Uniden BCD396T, but out of the phase 2 capable radios, its a much better deal than the Uniden BCD436HP which is molasses up a hill in January. One thing to check with the programming software...do your trunked systems have all the frequencies programmed in? You only need the control channels (unless you're scanning EDACS systems) otherwise radio will scan slower. Also make sure that none of your talkgroups have long delay times set.I am also from the Delaware Valley and I can't speak much for the West system, but the PSR 800 does a pretty nice job on the Montgomery County East system.

mikey60

Keep in mind that the scroll on the screen is not an indicator of how fast the radio scans through channels. It's only a scrolling list of the enabled scanlists. It won't show you what channels it's checking unless it becomes active.

Mike

SCPD

QRT
Now when you power the scanner up and it loads your scanlists, does that take long? Because I've figured out BIG scanlists can slow it down alot.

mikey60

Yes. More objects to scan means more time to set up the internal scanning profile for the scanner. That's only at the start of the scan process though. After that, the speed of the scanning process depends on the mix of conventional and trunked channels.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.