SDS100/SDS200: SMA-BNC Adapter Issue...

Aviation_Scanner

Premium Subscriber
I have a small issue with the supplied SMA-BNC adapter.
I managed to get an antenna onto the adapter, but now find it very difficult to take the antenna off, even with the antenna screwed into the scanner..

Has anyone had this issue and have any tips on how to get it off? I don't want to have to end up having a large connection of these every time I get a new antenna :LOL:

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
The supplied adapter gets around that raised collar at the antenna port (which prevents using the standard adapters). But I have no issues with disconnecting a BNC antenna connection with it. You could try removing that raised collar (I’ve been threatening to do that for years) and using a standard SMA/BNC adapter that is not so hard to connect/disconnect to but that’s extreme. Try excersizing the connection by mounting and unmounting the adapter to the BNC antenna connector and see if it loosens up a bit. But first check to see if other BNC connectors have the same issue. You could be using a BNC connector that’s been damaged.

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
Is it a certain antenna that is having this issue, or all antenna? I've only ever had an issue with the Uniden supplied adapters (on other Uniden scanners, I don't own an SDS) when testing cheapo no-name antennas.

It could be the antenna and not the adapter. Whenever they got stuck, I would unscrew the whole thing off the radio then work on separating them, as to not damage the connection on the radio side of things

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Yes, as buddrousa has stated. And review the differing type of connectors… you may be forcing an antenna connector that is not a BNC type. I’m not aware of another connector that might be able to connect like that but that’s why I suggested you try other BNC aftermarket antennas… just to see if you were using a bad one.

Aviation_Scanner

Premium Subscriber
Try pushing DOWN while turning the BNC antenna.
Tried that, but it is very hard to even push down on it to get it to release.
Yes, as buddrousa has stated. And review the differing type of connectors… you may be forcing an antenna connector that is not a BNC type. I’m not aware of another connector that might be able to connect like that but that’s why I suggested you try other BNC aftermarket antennas… just to see if you were using a bad one.
I only have the one BNC antenna & it is definitely a BNC type..it was a whistler antenna that I I had bought to replace a broken stock Radioshack Pro-164 Antenna.

Looks like I will be keeping the adapter on the antenna. Never know if/when I'll need the antenna in the future.
Besides, these adapters are cheap on amazon from what I have seen.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
You could always remove both then remove the adapter once you get them off the scanner, but it sounds like the adapter may have never been snugged down enough.

Aviation_Scanner

Premium Subscriber
You could always remove both then remove the adapter once you get them off the scanner, but it sounds like the adapter may have never been snugged down enough.
I screwed on the adapter until it would not turn any more.
I am afraid that over tightening the adapter onto the scanner may break the SMA connection.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
Then the other advice you received about pressing down should work.

Is it possible the antenna connector is bent? (tight)

Aviation_Scanner

Premium Subscriber
Then the other advice you received about pressing down should work.

Is it possible the antenna connector is bent? (tight)
If it is, I can't tell..looks like the antenna connected with it with no issue.
If I can't get it off, it's not a big deal. It is only a $10 whistler antenna, which I can keep as a baclup.

Future purchases will definetely be a SMA connector..