BCD436HP/BCD536HP: SMA(Female)-BNC(Male) Adapter

Chris0516

I have this adapter/connector that came w/ my BCD436HP. I accidentally put my Tri-Band antenna on the adapter/connector. When I meant to put my Telescopic antenna on the adapter/connector. While the Tri-Band antenna works fine, I can't get it off the adapter/connector. I have been told by the Uniden Reseller(Ham Radio Outlet). To turn the connector counter-clockwise, then I should be able to pull it off the antenna. I have not been able to pull it off.

Any ideas?

tvengr

Well Known Member
Unthread the adapter from the scanner first so you don't put undue stress on the scanner connector. BNC connectors have a small notch which locks the connector on. With the adapter in one hand, push in on the connector and turn it counterclockwise with the other hand.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Tvengr has it right. Just make sure you PUSH IN and while pushing in, turn counter clockwise. (Your post didn’t include that step.)

Chris0516

Unthread the adapter from the scanner first so you don't put undue stress on the scanner connector. BNC connectors have a small notch which locks the connector on. With the adapter in one hand, push in on the connector and turn it counterclockwise with the other hand.
Every time I push in, and turn it counter-clockwise. I can feel the inside of the antenna moving the same direction?

Last edited:

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
You removed the adapter from the scanner first as suggested? What model is the tri band antenna? If you're having that much of a hard time even with the adapter removed from the scanner, perhaps try using pliers to grip the base of the adapter while you turn the antenna to separate it

Chris0516

You removed the adapter from the scanner first as suggested? What model is the tri band antenna? If you're having that much of a hard time even with the adapter removed from the scanner, perhaps try using pliers to grip the base of the adapter while you turn the antenna to separate it
Yes, I already removed the adapter...before it was suggested.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Every time I push in, and turn it counter-clockwise. I can feel the inside of the antenna moving the same direction?
Turn the outside of the BNC connector, not the antenna. What model tri-band antenna are you using? There are some adapters where the 2 sections can rotate such as double males. Hold the section of the adapter closest to the antenna. As suggested before, a pair of pliers may be needed.

Last edited:

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
If all else fails and you are wary about harming the antenna, leave the connector on the antenna and get another connector for other uses. You are only out the price of one connector. Or, get a pair of diagonal cutters and start nibbling away at the connector until it falls away from the antenna. Then get another connector.

Chris0516

If all else fails and you are wary about harming the antenna, leave the connector on the antenna and get another connector for other uses. You are only out the price of one connector. Or, get a pair of diagonal cutters and start nibbling away at the connector until it falls away from the antenna. Then get another connector.
A little wary about harming the antenna. But connectors are cheap.(IMHO)