SMA male antennas for Uniden scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDHG4U61

Premium Subscriber
I noticed that the SMA to BNC adapter supplied with some Uniden scanners does NOT provide that extra space embedded all the way to the base of the radio but the adapter sometimes might easily unscrew from the radio. What I have done was purchased a stubby SMA 3-in male stock antenna 144/440, removed the outer sleeve and the inner coil wire. At this point all I really need is the SMA connecter which has the extended ring to fit securely, more snug. Next, I ordered a low-end $4.00 800mhz BNC antenna from Ebay, removed coil, attached it onto the SMA antenna base. Something to try because anythings better than that supplied adapter. If the antenna is too stubby just experiment and stretch the coil & add a longer sleeve casing.

number40Fan

I noticed the same thing. I took a small o-ring and rolled it over the connector on the radio and pushed it flush with the base. Then added the adapter which slightly squished the o-ring giving a tight fit.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
I noticed the same thing. I took a small o-ring and rolled it over the connector on the radio and pushed it flush with the base. Then added the adapter which slightly squished the o-ring giving a tight fit.

That's a great idea... my antenna keeps getting loose on my 436. The other day it actually unscrewed all the way and fell off! I need some way to keep it locked down, so I'll give this a try.

-AZ

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
I just bought SMA Tough-Duck antennas in the bands that I needed. The 450 MHz one works exceptionally well and does great on 800 as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.