Small sniffer antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Audiodave1

Database Admin
Radio shack has an antenna markets towards the NASCAR market, it's a little 1.5" or so stub.

It works great for nearfield work.

Dave

kb9hgi

Feed Provider
Is there a short antenna that will work as good as the factory antenna that came with my scanner. Not looking for one that will work for near distance like the for nascar. What I have is a BC 92xlt that is compact the antenna is bigger than the scanner. I bought it because of its size what I want is a shorter antenna on it maybe like 3 inch in size or so. Thanks for any help.

Audiodave1

Database Admin
Ok,
As long as the following apply you will likely be ok.
A. The transmitters / signals you are listening to are close by (5-7mi)
or
B. The signals you are listening to operate in the 450 band or higher.

Shorter antennas are ok for UHF signals but for VHF signals, that you are not close to it will degrade performance greatly.

Let us know what works out,
Dave

kb9hgi

Feed Provider
thanks for the info and the link kokomo. Think I might try one of those and will report back with a full report on it.:lol:

k0bzv

I use one of the R/S stubby antennas for monitoring the local EDACS 800 MHz system. I
find that it works quite well. I am within 5 miles of the tower and was surprised. Don't
put the scanner on your belt or in your pocket. The signal kind of goes to crap.
I use it while on foot patrol (I am a security officer - better known as a Rent-A-Cop) and
my scanner is a very useful item to have.
Good luck and good scanning.

Carl - K0BZV Melbourne, Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.